Ghostinthemachine 15-Mar-15
cityhunter 15-Mar-15
rick allison 15-Mar-15
Wayne Helmick 15-Mar-15
Brotsky 15-Mar-15
BO-N-ARO 15-Mar-15
Thornton 16-Mar-15
14-Mar-15
I'm planning a trip to the Mt Rushmore area early June of this yr - does anyone have info on any nearby bow and/or rod & reel fishing?

14-Mar-15
You will find plenty of fishing espically if you are going to be in Custer State Park. Just go to their web site.

I have never fished there, but visited there a couple times and have looked at their web site.

I am sure others will be able to chime in. Other option to is call the local game warden or fish and game office and they can help you out.

I love it out there enjoy the trip.

14-Mar-15
If I go to Sturgis thus year I can meet you first week of August for a beer.

14-Mar-15
I live halfway between Mt Rushmore and Sturgis. I'm 4 miles from a lake and have a boat. I also fly fish a lot in the local area and can show you around. Believe it or not, depending on the weather, that should be right in the middle of our catfish run. Not a lot of bow fishing around here. There are a couple lakes out on the prairie not too far that have carp though. Hit me up when you are getting ready to head this way. You are more than welcome and I'll show you what I can. Kelly, you too. I'll have a house full from all over the country the week of Sturgis but if you get tired of the madness up there and want to get away for an evening we always have the grill going and lots of beer on the deck. Let me know.

14-Mar-15
I never did the sturgis gig looks like a blast

14-Mar-15
I don't go either City. I just let friends stay at my place. Way too many people for me. I just let people stay at my place and they go have their fun and I get to enjoy the company and the stories when they come back every evening. I keep the cooler stocked and the grill going. They do get some great pictures though :)

14-Mar-15
Fine offer, Wayne. Great hospitality.

I had a fun late-summer day fly-fishing 'hoppers in downtown Rapid City.

Some gorgeous lakes up in those hills for fishing, too.

Don't pass up a chance to see Crazy Horse and Rushmore at night, too.

The Black Hills are special, for sure.

14-Mar-15
ahh, the black hills. no place id rather be. love it here. the fishing in the hills is great! about any species of fresh water you can think of and plenty of em. hit that wayne guy up, and certainly don't forget about fishing right in good ol rapid city.

14-Mar-15
I can attest that mr. Helmick makes the best steaks in western South Dakota. Maybe the entire state.

15-Mar-15
Thanks Josh. You learned well. Just keep the secret to yourself. Patty and I went to Deadwood today and I got a glimpse of the new herd of bighorn sheep. Pretty cool. Writer and huntnmuleys, no place I'd rather be either. I remember my wife dropping me off in town with a hand full of flies while she went shopping. She called me several hours later to see where I was so she could bring me lunch. I told her to stop at the fly shop and get me 2 more #18 bead head pheasant tails. I landed 37 trout that day. All right in town. Love this place. Anybody coming by here let me know. I'll show you around.

15-Mar-15
Sounds great on the hospitality!

If I go to Sturgis it will be my 3rd trip there for the Rally.

Love riding my bike through the needles, iron mountain and down thru Custer.

2 years ago I took Morgan up the from Golden, Colorado.

She couldn't believe I was taking her to Sturgis and to the broken spoke campground! Lmao she had no idea sturgis would have very few bikes and the campground would be dead! Lol it was eND of June.

This will make the 75th rally for Sturgis and I doubt I will be there at 75 years old to make the 100th.

15-Mar-15
Sounds good Kelly. Just let me know. Back to the original question, lots of fish of all different varieties. Just depends on which direction you go and what time of year it is. Let me know when you get here and I'll point you in the right direction or take you out and show you.

15-Mar-15
The Blacks Hills are a national treasure.

Gorgeous country.

15-Mar-15
I pass this area every year , Just cant take them wall drug signs !!

15-Mar-15
Been to Sturgis a few times...rally's too crowded for my tastes now. Love the Black Hills, lots to do. Rally goers...take a day and ride to Buffalo Wyoming...shoot over the Bighorns to Ten Sleep. It'll be a full day, but worth the effort...magnificent country. I hunted there for years.

For you riders...if you prefer a less crowded venture, travel out there in early september...after Labor Day. The kids are in school and the tourists are back to work...everything's open...no reservations necessary. Also great weather...dry season, warm in the day and cool at night. No traffic...no crowds.

15-Mar-15
Rick has it right for the most part. I've always told my rider friends to come when the rally isn't going on if they want to just ride and enjoy the hills. I've always said mid May(before Memorial Day} or mid September(after Labor Day)for the best weather. However, there are some things that aren't open. Some of the shops in Keystone and Hill City will have "closed for the season" signs up outside of those holidays. It's all the tourist crap though so you aint missing much.

15-Mar-15
Top Pin Archery in Custer,SD

15-Mar-15
Make sure you plan on making a visit to Rushmore at night as well as the day. Spectacular with the lights!!

16-Mar-15
Honestly, I found the fishing to be more interesting than Crazy Horse or Mount Rushmore. I didn't catch much, but it was my dog's fault. He kept jumping in the water.

• Sitka Gear