Saxton 27-Mar-15
Cheesehead Mike 27-Mar-15
Butcher 01-Apr-15
Barty1970 02-Apr-15
Cheesehead Mike 02-Apr-15
YZF-88 23-Apr-15
YZF-88 23-Apr-15
19-Mar-15
It seems like I can't get a broadhead target to last very long and they are very expensive to be trying all the time. I am willing to pay more money if it will last longer, but so far I haven't found much of a difference in a $50 target and a $75-$100 target. What have you guys found that lasts the longest? Thanks.

19-Mar-15

Bowfreak's MOBILE embedded Photo
Bowfreak's MOBILE embedded Photo

Here is my favorite. I paid $20 for the foam to make 2 targets this exact same size. They are large and last a long time even with broadheads. I slightly compress the sheets with boards and all thread, cable or a ratchet strap. When you shoot up an area you can remove that section and put it on the bottom. This leaves a fresh section in the middle if the target for Lon range broadheads practice.

19-Mar-15

Russell's Link
I've been shooting the Range King Range #RK28 for the past couple years.

Works best with solid bladed broadheads for arrow removal and wont tear-up the target as much.

VPA style points are much easier to remove than a Snuffer SS tipped arrow.

Don't shoot a field point into the target. You'll pull a muscle trying to remove it. It's only designed for BH's.

19-Mar-15
A BIG buck !

19-Mar-15
Really like my Rinehart.

19-Mar-15
Sand pile

19-Mar-15
Rinehart... Will never buy anything else!! 6 years and still stops my bow at 76#, 270 fps, and 510 grains.

19-Mar-15
+1 Bowfreak, It is called Formular and can be bought at Lowe's or home depot. Buy the 2 inch thinkness. Works great for a cheap price.

19-Mar-15
Sand pile...yep. With a shoot through "Necedah" silhouette target.

19-Mar-15
Chip T. - Need a little more info. I tried looking it up on Lowes website and couldn't find it. I'm probably using the wrong terminology.

19-Mar-15
GNG, I think Chip T is talking about Foamular.

19-Mar-15
Chip,

It is not Foamular. It is a material that is produced in WV. It is similar to the memory foam in a mattress or pillow but is more dense.

19-Mar-15
Rinehart.

19-Mar-15
Mine is Foamular. Building supply dealers may or may not carry it. Have seen it at 84 Lumber and Home Depot. a 4x8x2 inch slab wilkl make a nice tarted 16 inches thick. Only downside is that it put a film on the arrow but that can be wiped off easily. Bowfreak,what is your product called and where can you get it?

19-Mar-15
I don't know what it is called. My friend gets it by the truck load and I buy it off him. It is manufactured somewhere in WV and he picks it up there. I am not sure of its primary use either.

19-Mar-15
Good topic. Was going to ask it myself soon. All I can say right now is "The Block" is a horrible target for broadheads. Wish I could take it back.

19-Mar-15
Rinehart. Pay the money.

19-Mar-15
I have had good luck with the 18-1 Rinehart target. It blows away the Block, but I would like something larger.

19-Mar-15

CT bow junkie's embedded Photo
Hips targets. I've had great luck with this brand target over the years. Well worth the money.

19-Mar-15

19-Mar-15
Go to your local Farm & Ranch Store or any place that sells utility trailers. Ask them if you can have the Styrofoam shipping blocks that come with the trailers. They just throw them away anyhow. 6 of the blocks will make a target about 3'x3'x 12" thick.

19-Mar-15
I have a Rinehart rhinoblock target that is pretty awesome. Instead of shooting up my target with broadheads though, I have resorted to shooting at the big grass compost pile I have in the back yard. Works pretty good and it is free!

19-Mar-15
Get a blob. Lasts at least 10 times longer than a Rhinehart. I shoot a lot of broadheads and was pretty disappointed at how quickly I shot through a Rhinehart.

19-Mar-15
Another vote for Blob targets. They will take a pounding for a very long time.

20-Mar-15

Montana Kevin's embedded Photo
Hey guys, a good friend of mine in Bozeman sent me this post last night since he knows we are close to launching our new target. We call it the Matrix Target System, where all of the modules are interchangeable and replaceable. It doesn't matter how many aiming dots or sides a target has if it only has one center. Once the center is blown out it's garbage or you risk losing or destroying expensive arrows by having to aim at the corners. That's what drove our design which we received patent pending status last March. Think of it as having 14 interchangeable centers (front and back). Now you can always shoot the center! The attached picture with the arrows in the target is 2750+ shots, 300+ with broadheads. Zoom into the picture and check out the shot distribution. The reason you see shots to the outer edges is because those segments had been rotated into the center. The other picture is of the back side of the same target still in pristine condition.

Are you going to destroy our target? If you shoot as much as we do absolutely! But you'll destroy it a piece at a time. So next year instead of buying an expensive "throw away" target you can buy a new hex module for the fraction of the cost. Oh yeah, you want a smaller target for deer/ elk camp throw one hex in the back of your truck to shoot at 20-30 yards at camp or you can make a 3 hex or 4 hex target if you want something a little bigger.

Our aluminum molds are being cnc machined as you read this and we will start mfg in the next few weeks. Rather than continue to ramble you can check us out on Instagram #matrixtargets. If you are in Montana stop by and see us at the MT Bowhunters convention next week in Billings. I just did a gopro video shooting the target that I'll post as soon as Bow Site approves.

20-Mar-15

Here's the picture of the shot side. Sorry about that! Thought it loaded with the last message?! Kevin

20-Mar-15
So when will they be available for sale? What is the cost and what are the sizes? Looks like a great idea.

20-Mar-15
I like the idea a lot. I shoot mainly recurve or longbows and at distance need to shoot and the center. To date the Rinehart is the best but I like this module approach. Free shipping for Bowsite members may help jumpstart your product:)

20-Mar-15
Target size is 24"x 24" flat side to flat side, 27 3/4" at the widest point and 14" deep. Weighs 43#. It's big enough for us to shoot out to 100+ yards, which we practice all the time.

Price is $295 plus shipping. If we priced our target the same per cu ft of material as Rinehart and sold in the big box stores it would be over $400. So the traditional retail model will not work for us. By selling consumer direct you get a much higher quality, bigger target at a lower price point than we could ever do in a store. Replacement hex modules are $45.

We did a pre-order the last couple of weeks via social media for $295 + flat rate shipping of $25 and the response has been incredible. Shipping is a son of a gun...even though the target weighs 43# we get hit with dimensional weight as if it weighs over 70#. So the $25 flat rate is actually a $50 savings on shipping depending on where you live.

We closed the pre-order a week ago once we hit our goal. I'll open it again for bowsite members and honor the same deal if you are interested. Just shoot me an email at [email protected] and I'll return an email with what # target you will get as they are built. I don't need any payment info until we get ready to ship. If you change your mind between now and then no problem. Your target will go to the next person in line. It may take us a couple months to fill these first orders so please be patient. Our website is currently under construction but is really looking great! I'll let you know when it goes live.

I encourage you to check us out on Instagram #matrix targets or on FB. There's a lot of good info, videos, etc about the target. We are just like you guys...public land DIY hunters that demand a lot out of your gear and equipment. You'll see we spared no expense building this new target. If you have any questions please shoot me an email or I can respond to your post here. Thanks for your interest, Kevin

20-Mar-15

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Here's mine. Going on 3 years and it works great. When it gets shot out in one area I can' move the layers around or easily replace some of them with new styro. The huge size is great for long range practice.

I got tired of spending money on smaller broadhead targets and wearing them out quickly. This is the best move I ever made in regard to broadhead targets.

It does leave a film on carbon arrows but it rubs off fairly easily. I mostly shoot FMJ's and it doesn't leave a film on the aluminium.

23-Mar-15
Cheese What tool do you use to cut the boards up in pieces.

23-Mar-15
A sharp fillet knife. You don't have to cut all the way through, I just make a good slice, maybe a couple passes with the knife and then snap them off.

25-Mar-15
Mike, what material is yours made from?

25-Mar-15
RutNut,

It's just the 2" thick pink styro insulation, buy it in 4'x 8' sheets at Menards, etc.

I've heard that the cheaper white bead board works just as well (but I have a hard time believing it) and does not leave any film on carbon arrows.

I might replace some of the shot out layers with some of the cheaper white insulation as an experiment.

25-Mar-15
Mike,

what are your dimensions? how deep is the target? Do you get broadheads coming out the back?

25-Mar-15
Thanks Mike. I have to make a Menards run tomorrow, I am going to make one out of the pink and the white. I'll report back on how each works.

25-Mar-15
I can attest to the functionality and durability of Mikes target. I saw a prior post of his target and I copied it (thanks Mike). Works great for broadheads and long ranges and I shot it at close range just to see the stopping power and even at that range my arrow maybe penetrated half way up the shaft.

26-Mar-15
Thanks for sharing Mike; what are the specs for the threaded bars and corresponding nuts on each each side, to clamp the target good and tight?

26-Mar-15

Thanks guys and you're welcome. I’m glad you like my target idea. That’s what Bowsite is all about, right!

The pink Styrofoam is from 2” x 4’ x 8’ sheets.

Each layer is 32” wide x 16” deep

I used 2 sheets and I got exactly 9) 16” x 32” pieces out of each sheet.

The target area is 36” tall x 32” wide x 16” deep.

The boards on top and bottom are treated 2” x 12” about 36” long. And I attached a couple 2 x 4’s cross-ways to raise the bottom board up off the ground.

If I remember correctly the threaded rod is 1/2” rod and each piece is about 48” long. I believe I cut some excess off the end.

The pink Styrofoam is fairly spendy but I think it’s worth it considering how long the target has lasted and the fact that it’s repairable by moving layers around or just replacing a couple shot out layers.

I’m on my 3rd year with it and I am getting some pass-throughs in some shot-out spots and I’m due to shuffle or replace some layers.

26-Mar-15
I have a pile of dirt and made 1000's of shots into it and its never worn out yet. ( mostly sand)

27-Mar-15
How much do you have to tighten the allthreads Mike? Just enough to keep things together or does it need to be pretty tight in case you shoot between the layers?

27-Mar-15
Many thanks Mike; much appreciated

27-Mar-15
Thanks Mike

27-Mar-15
t-roy,

I tightened the nuts pretty tight to the point where the washers are sinking into the wood. I don't know if they have to be that tight but that's what I did and it works well.

It doesn't matter if you shoot the crease between layers, it still stops the arrow just as well.

27-Mar-15
A suggestion for you guys. I have the same target material, mine is called Foamular. I have them in 24 inch squares standing up loose. When I remove an arrow I unscrew the head and pull the shaft out. This saves the target material because you aren't tearing it twice when you pull the head out.

27-Mar-15
Mike do you leave it out in the weather yr.round Lewis

27-Mar-15
I bought a BH/FP target at WalMart 14 years ago. I shoot only broadheads - exclusively; I never shoot FP's.

Once a year I fill the void with spray foam and it is good to go. A medium size pizza box fit perfect for the face of the target.

27-Mar-15
I've had several questions and PM's on the target material.

Yes mine is Owens Corning Foamular 150 and I bought it at Menards.

I looked at their website and you can get Foamular 250 for less than $1 more per sheet but you might have to order it and there might be a 6-sheet minimum order. 150 has compressive strength of 15 psi whereas 250 has compressive strength of 25 psi so the 250 might be denser and better for a target.

lewis, yes I leave it outside all year.

01-Apr-15

Butcher's embedded Photo
Butcher's embedded Photo
Well thank ya mike for the great idea. Just put it together today. Although I really do hate the pink color, it's the only Foamular I could find in my area. Put a couple arrows in to make sure the would stop and have to say worked like a champ. I'm either gonna make a couple more or put some wheels on this thing!

02-Apr-15
I reckon Mike may need to talk to his Intellectual Property Attorney and get the patent process rolling...

Joking aside, Butcher's target looks great

02-Apr-15
You're welcome Butcher! Glad you like it and it worked out for you.

The wheels are a good idea and as I'm sure you have realized, it's pretty light for it's size and not too hard to move around.

23-Apr-15

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Let's bring this thread back. Here is my new broadhead target per Mikes plans. Turned out great.Looking forward to extended broadhead practice.

23-Apr-15

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
Threaded rod works great. Stopping a 444 gr fmj & 65 lbs.

• Sitka Gear