drycreek 26-Mar-15
writer 27-Mar-15
Ace 27-Mar-15
drycreek 27-Mar-15
writer 27-Mar-15
26-Mar-15
Don't know what to say. Ugh.

26-Mar-15
And the losers are: The indigenous people who benefit from the revenue generated by hunting. The elephants themselves in time. Outfitters and hunters.

The winners: Poachers. No others come to mind.

26-Mar-15
Data? Information? Facts?

We don'eed no stinking facts....

26-Mar-15
There was a recent thing on facebook showcasing an orphaned elephant concession. Included in the story was a statement saying that ivory imports were opened again in China? and that poaching has increased due to that. Wonder if that is matter of fact also?

26-Mar-15
Pat, you're probably right, but in my mind Libs have no real feelings about anything. They just go from one cause to another. Whatever is currently in vogue. To most of them, it's about appearances. Nevertheless, it sucks.

27-Mar-15
No question this will be a bad deal for elephants, and the people with whom they share the immediate lands. It's amazing how many people I meet think hunting is dooming them to extinction, and that all localized populations are on the brink.

But, dry -

I'm married to a liberal, Phi Betta Kappa, made positive differences in hundreds, if not thousands, of human lives as a clinical psychologist at a not for profit.

She's stuck to the same "causes" the 34 years we've been married.

Couldn't pry her handguns away, VERY pro-hunting and in to letting wildlife managers manage the wildlife. Never met a game meat she didn't appreciate on her plate, either.

And she doesn't lump Republicans and conservatives into one bunch. :-)

She also gets VERY frustrated with the federal bureaucracy where decisions are made with no experience with an issue or solid facts.

27-Mar-15
Writer, what makes her a "liberal"? Serious question.

27-Mar-15
I'm at a loss here too Ace ??? Sounds like the makings of a conservative/libertarian to me.

Nevertheless, writer, congrats on the 34 years !

27-Mar-15
Ace, fair question. Thanks for the polite request.

Well, she's a liberal for Kansas, at least. :-)

Dr. Pearce is for more services, even if it means more taxes or, better, wiser use of current funds.

Her desire for better medical coverage for lower incomes, especially mental health coverage is huge. Kinda gets old making progress with someone, the funding gets cut and they end up jail.

Most law enforcement officials will tell you something like, "Deny mental health care, provide criminal incarceration." The former is less expensive.

She's had some clients who have benefitted from Obamacare, though it's cost us as a pair of hard-working professionals.

Also, she's a fan of "welfare" to help someone get on their feet, figuring they'll someday be tax-payers so that's an investment. Most "liberals" are as frustrated as anyone of those who milk the system, with no desire of improving themselves, while robbing those who could benefit from government funding of getting help.

The bureaucracy our government has created is largely to blame.

The same with things like education, school lunches, etc.

She's pro sex education, because she said kids are going to have sex...as they have for generations. Ditto for providing contraceptives, rather than dealing with the abortion debate after mistakes have been made...and they will be made.

She (we) also feels both sides of the political system spend too much time pointing fingers, and not addressing the real problems. One of the biggies is how pizz-poor parenting has become in the nation. (She always insisted we have family dinner every night when the kids were home....I now know why.)

She's a proud Democrat. I'm proud my family has been Kansas Republicans for about 150 years, and seven generations. But I'm leaning a bit away from the hard right because of the party's finger-pointing, painting the other side with a broad brush and unwillingness to compromise.

We already have a man who is the most divisive President of my life, a guy who avoids working with other sides. Now we have ultra-conservatives who seem to be as dead-set as he is.

Here in Kansas, ultra-conservatives are harder on moderate Republicans than Democrats (what few we have).

As the last two presidential elections have shown, the ultra-conservative-only regime won't work. That the current president got re-elected, with the state of the country at the time, is scary as heck.

I'm afraid if things don't change within "my" party, we'll be hearing - "I, Hillary Clinton, do hereby......"

Sorry for the soapbox rant, and for getting on the thread. We just get frustrated when one side, or the other, paints the other with a broad brush. Too often they place all blame on the others, instead of seeing what can really be done about a problem.

One of my favorite quotes from her -, "I'm so damned pissed at the Democrats I haven't had a chance to be pissed at Republicans for at least two months." :-)

• Sitka Gear