kidwalker 24-Apr-15
Dakota 24-Apr-15
RD 24-Apr-15
Trophy8 24-Apr-15
RD 25-Apr-15
Dakota 26-Apr-15
Dakota 26-Apr-15
23-Apr-15
How is the antelope herd in NW South Dakota (Buffalo area). I am aware that 2-3 years ago the numbers were way down. I would think the the last 2 winters were pretty mild there, which I would think would help them out.

I am asking because I have a WY elk hunt planned, I wi have 2-3 days before that hunt and/or 4-5 days after. I would like to make it a 2 week trip and see what I could do about an antelope too. The dates would be a little late for water, and maybe a bit early for rut, hopefully after my elk hunt could be prime rut, that would be sept 24-27 or so, maybe earlier if I tag out on the elk.

I would also be intrested in WY leftover on a trespass fee ranch if anyone has any recommendations there.

Thanks for any info/help/recommendations,

--Jim

23-Apr-15
Jim: PM "Dakota". He's a SD Outfitter and Bowsite Sponsor, Routier Outfitting. He can provide info! Good Luck! C

23-Apr-15
+1 for Dakota. Randy's a good guy. Numbers are getting better Jim but still a long way from the high numbers of 8-10 years ago.

24-Apr-15
Numbers are starting to increase slightly, but still very low ( would never recommend hunting a population so low ). While cat trapping with a buddy up there, we saw only a couple small heards, 30 total in 10 days. But there are a lot more goats near Bellfourche to the south.I'd say 250 with in 5 miles of town.

24-Apr-15

Dakota's Link
Granted this was on private property but last year we had nine hunters and eight of them killed. The one that did not missed twice. There are little pockets that are full of antelope but then you go 5 miles down the road and nothing. If I can help you anyway let me know.

24-Apr-15
What Dakota said, I covered a lot of ground last year and found much of it barren but then you'd find a "pocket" with a few, mainly on private land. '

24-Apr-15
Why are you finding them in pockets? Food source? Water?

25-Apr-15
I would say food source but everything was green last year. Mainly on private land with alfalfa and water.

26-Apr-15

26-Apr-15

Dakota's Link
Like you said they are mostly on private property with good Hayfield and good water next to each other. Also we have some just on traditional antelope grounds. They seem like they are in that area every year for no reason.

• Sitka Gear