sureshot 29-Apr-15
Trial153 29-Apr-15
Halibutman 30-Apr-15
Trial153 02-May-15
Lucas 02-May-15
willliamtell 02-May-15
Busta'Ribs 03-May-15
26-Apr-15
I grabbed one of their brochures the other day and was caught off guard with their prices...$21,000 for a 2017 goat hunt. I'm sure there's a waiting list to hunt with them. What really made me question why someone would hunt with them is...Their names...Bollen and Lewis litter the top of the goat listings.

How would you feel about paying 20 plus g's knowing that the biggest goats in the area are being taken by them?

26-Apr-15
That is their winter goat hunt...

26-Apr-15
I wonder how many clients of theirs are in the top of the book as well?

Two things I've heard about Bolen Lewis....get in shape, make room on the wall.

Fall and Winter Goat Hunt Pricing Information

1x1 Fall Goat.............Aug 10 - Oct 31, 2015.............$11,900 (plus $2000 trophy fee)

1x1 Fall Goat.............Aug 10 - Oct 31, 2016.............$12,400 (plus $2000 trophy fee)

1x1 Fall Goat.............Aug 10 - Oct 31, 2017.............$12,900 (plus $2000 trophy fee)

1x1 Winter Goat..........Nov 1 - Feb 28, 2015.............$18,400 (plus $2000 trophy fee)

1x1 Winter Goat..........Nov 1 - Feb 28, 2016.............$18,900 (plus $2000 trophy fee)

1x1 Winter Goat..........Nov 1 - Feb 28, 2017.............$19,400 (plus $2000 trophy fee)

* Hunt prices do not include license, tags, and taxes. All bush flying is included in hunt prices.

26-Apr-15
I hunted with them this fall and they're an excellent outfit. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that the goats being killed by Dave, Allen and Spike are from lakes that 99% of their clients don't have the physical capabilities to hunt. I'm sure that there's a top 50 or better goat at nearly every one of the lakes that they hunt, judging from the number and quality of goats at the lake we spiked up from, but most guys would give up long before they ever got within range. I'm 23, in great shape and was nearly nearly beaten into submission by those mountains. That being said, they certainly have "easier" lakes too. Another fellow that hunted the same time that I did was a couple of decades older than me and quite a bit heavier, but he got his goat the first or second day.

And yes, that price is for their winter hunt. Fewer tags and better hair quality, so guys pay a premium for them. One thing to take note of is that their prices INCLUDE BUSH FLIGHTS. The majority of outfits don't include the bush flight in the price.

26-Apr-15
Are they bow only

26-Apr-15
No, but they take a LOT of bowhunters and all three co-owners are dedicated bowhunters.

26-Apr-15

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
Here's my Bolen Lewis goat from this year. She's a hard-earned nanny, shot on day 8 of a 10 day hunt. We all thought she was a youngish billy, but found out differently when we got to her after the shot. We lost several entire days to weather, had a stalk blown due to a wolverine, another blown due to ravens and another blown by unseen cave goats (long stories), so I wasn't about to pass up a shot on the second to last day with fog on the way.

26-Apr-15
Great goat. Well done. You are in a tiny fraternity.

26-Apr-15

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
This is a huge, happy, sleepy nanny on the first morning of hunting. We were 30 yards from her. In hindsight, I should have taken the shot, but we all wanted a billy and we had plenty of time left. I wasn't ready to end the hunt yet.

26-Apr-15

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
A big, happy, sleepy billy, also from the first day, before the poor weather rolled in and stayed for a while. We were 110 yards from him, an easy shot for a rifle or muzzleloader.

26-Apr-15

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo

26-Apr-15

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
Whoops, double post. Here's a closeup.

26-Apr-15

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
And this is why we couldn't get any closer. In front of us was a sheer cliff, behind him was an even bigger sheer cliff, save for a small cut in the rock face that we tried to get down but it was too noisy and dangerous. Out in front of him was a beautifully green bowl that he had a commanding view of. He was safe and later moved several miles down the ridge, where he stayed for the remainder of the hunt. The only way we could get to where he was would be with a helicopter and/or climbing equipment.

26-Apr-15
Great pics & congrats on a successful hunt. Check out the bases on that billy!

26-Apr-15

MBMule's embedded Photo
MBMule's embedded Photo
Thanks, Bou Bound!

Here's the billy that we were stalking when we were rudely interrupted by a wolverine. Never saw that goat again. We were 60 yards from him here but he was feeding closer to us all the time.

Shug, sorry that I hijacked your thread. To answer your question, I would feel just fine booking a hunt with them, even if the co-owners take some huge goats, because I know that I wouldn't have a hope in hell of getting to the goats that they shoot. I'm not capable and my life isn't worth a goat. I feel so good about booking a hunt with them that I'm headed back in 2017.

26-Apr-15
Chasin bugles, I showed that photo to Spike after the hunt and he said he believed that billy to still be relatively young still. Who knows, I could have been drooling over a goat with world record potential.

26-Apr-15
A short face and horn length had me thinking he was a young billy as well. In most areas it takes a decade or more to put on that kind of mass. My GUESS is hes only a 4 1/2 year old billy. Its gonna be a long wait for your hunt!

26-Apr-15
Its capitalism and although I don't blame them, I don't like it.

26-Apr-15
I killed my goat with them also. Great guys. Allen and Dave are beasts in the mountains. They kill goats in places most hunters can't go. I would never try to climb into the mountains they were in in 2013.

26-Apr-15
I guess I see it differently. No matter what the price,taking the biggest available animals away from potential clients. Isn't cool.I don't buy the goats were in areas mortal man couldn't get to. Congrats MB..

26-Apr-15
SteveB it is not all capitalism. Yes, supply and demand has an effect but consider all their costs to put on a hunt these days. Be glad it isn't more expensive.

26-Apr-15
I had a great hunt with them a decade or so ago and shot a 46" 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 year old billie - borderline in terms of being big enough to pursue in their area. The only downside is I killed him less than an hour into the hunt, almost anticlimactic.

Shug, that fact that B&L clients aren't complaining about it should be telling.

26-Apr-15

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
I hunted with them in 2011 and took a great goat. Most of their bowhunters usually only take 2-3 days to get it done.

I would rank them at the top when planning a bow hunt for goats!

Good bunch of guys!

26-Apr-15
I guess I wouldn't care if a car salesman drove a nicer vehicle than me.

I wouldn't care if a general contractor who built my home had a larger and nicer one than me.

If I were to pay that kind of money for a goat hunt, I'd want it to be with somebody whose killed a fistful of monsters himself.

I in no way shape or form see them as taking something away from another hunter.

Now if they were hunting the same time as you and were stalking the same goat as you....then by all means.

But this certainly seems like getting in an uproar just to get in one.

26-Apr-15
Theres a toad! Looks like a real walk in the park too. Starting to think that these guys fee structure is being backed up with some pretty solid results. Sometimes you do get what you pay for. How come no one raises any questions over average sheep outfitters hammering you for 30Gs?

26-Apr-15
Shug, I will say, there's something to be said for leaving the big boys in the gene pool to protect genetics. But the flipside of that is that for these guys to be master's of their craft, they need to be versed in successfully real life experiences, and the tougher the better...

26-Apr-15
Me thinks someone needs to get all their facts straight before throwing stones...

26-Apr-15
Shug, I will say, there's something to be said for leaving the big boys in the gene pool to protect genetics. But the flipside of that is that for these guys to be master's of their craft, they need to be versed in successful real life experiences, and the tougher the better...

26-Apr-15

LWood's embedded Photo
LWood's embedded Photo

26-Apr-15
Great job on great goats guys! Congrats!!!

Mark

26-Apr-15
Nice goats! There are some giants in that area

26-Apr-15
BowBoy, I remember seeing that photo just after I booked! What did that beast score? And which lake? Or is it a secret? PM me if you prefer.

27-Apr-15
These are some amazing animals, wow.

27-Apr-15
Probably cheaper than going elsewhere where chances of killing a goat are a lot less and you end up making several trips before getting your goat.

27-Apr-15
Flincher said "Yes, supply and demand has an effect but consider all their costs to put on a hunt these days. Be glad it isn't more expensive."

Sorry, I disagree. Costs haven't doubled in a few years. This is purely capitalism - which I have no problem with. I just don't like prices so high the average guy cant do them without sacrificing several years of hunting trips to save up for it.

Of course, not taking away one bit from their quality and success. I'm quite certain they are great guys and a fantastic outfit.

27-Apr-15
I don't think some of you guys are reading the price list correctly. Here it is again:

1x1 FALL Goat.............Aug 10 - Oct 31, 2015.............$11,900 (plus $2000 trophy fee)

1x1 FALL Goat.............Aug 10 - Oct 31, 2016.............$12,400 (plus $2000 trophy fee)

1x1 FALL Goat.............Aug 10 - Oct 31, 2017.............$12,900 (plus $2000 trophy fee)

1x1 WINTER Goat..........Nov 1 - Feb 28, 2015.............$18,400 (plus $2000 trophy fee)

1x1 WINTER Goat..........Nov 1 - Feb 28, 2016.............$18,900 (plus $2000 trophy fee)

1x1 WINTER Goat..........Nov 1 - Feb 28, 2017.............$19,400 (plus $2000 trophy fee)

Their prices don't almost double between 2015 and 2017, they go up by $1000. The cost of a WINTER goat hunt in 2015 is $18400. In 2016, it's $19400. The cost of a FALL goat hunt in 2015 is $11900. In 2017, it's $12900. Make sure you're comparing apples to apples.

I've been on this hunt and I honestly don't know how they make a whole lot of money on these hunts for what they charge. They own their own plane and incur the costs of that, plus they have to pay a pilot, plus all the backpacking supplies (tents, food, stoves, etc.), plus paying guides. Once you factor in all that plus the fact that it's co-owned by 3 people, I don't think they're exactly making a killing on a goat hunt. If you look at their prices, they're right around everybody else's price in BC and Alaska, for a similar quality hunt.

27-Apr-15
So 15k for a goat isn't expensive then?

27-Apr-15
A quick check of a few other outfitters prices in BC and Alaska show goat hunts costing anywhere between $9000 at the bottom end (not a coastal goat hunt) to $17000 (a coastal hunt). Most of the coastal BC hunts, where the biggest and most goats live run right around $14-$16k.

If a guy can't afford that, then he's either going to have to save longer, go on a cheaper hunt or try to draw a tag in the lower 48. But he probably won't see as many goats or have as many opportunities as he would on a coastal hunt. It's the same reason most guys suggest going to the Northwest Territories for a Dall sheep hunt and not Alaska. Sure, it's $8000+ more in the NWT, but that's because it's a better area with more sheep and better odds, not to mention minimal to no resident pressure.

Bottom line:

Is $15k expensive? Absolutely, it is.

Is this hunt worth $13k, $15k if a person gets their goat? Absolutely, it's worth it.

27-Apr-15
To answer the question: I hunted with them and did not get a goat. Both Allen and Dave shot goats that week that I saw. Both good goats but I don't think they were the biggest that year. Like mentioned above, they go to places that clients don't or won't go to. My partner shot a good goat that week and I had one at 100yrds before weather had us held up in tent for 5days. I don't have any problem with them shooting goats or big ones for that matter since they have a lot of untouched goat mt's available to them. I think it's a testament to the quality of goats on their concessions and what excellent hunters both of them are to consistently each year shoot good goats. Is it a lot of money? Yes! But they are competitive with the other outfits and where I ended up getting my goat was about the same money.

27-Apr-15

expeditiontraders's embedded Photo
expeditiontraders's embedded Photo
I went with another outfitter and paid $7k a few years back and never got within a several hundred yards of a goat. The next year I booked with Bolen and Lewis and got a nice billy on day 4. I think I paid $9k at the time. Their prices are cheap if you have to do it twice somewhere else.

Great people and great hunt.

27-Apr-15
August can't get here soon enough, great pics MB!

27-Apr-15
I am seriously considering booking with them in 2017 or 2018. but i don't like the fact that the price is going up 1000$ with the way the exchange rates are right now. It should be staying the same if not going down a few dollars

27-Apr-15
It is interesting some people are offended the owners are shooting big goats. Hey, these are not whitetail bucks we are taking about here. They can't "save" them for the next client.

These are a truly wild population in a true wilderness setting. The goats may range a vast rough area and die of old age without ever having been threatened by a hunter. Killing the largest and probably oldest does not necessarily mean depleting the gene pool since the best breeders may actually be somewhat younger billies. Sort of like in sheep populations.

And consider they are obviously managing their business to maintain the highest quality over time. The record book shows that. They are the professionals here, as are the biologists. Both have the knowledge and a real stake in the matter. I guess that is why business and wildlife management should be left to professionals.

27-Apr-15
Maybe they can't save them for another hunter, but if they shoot them first how would you know? A few years ago there was a post by a VERY well respected regular on Bowsite.com that took issue with this very outfitter the same reason. That thread was edited before dawn. I would love hunt with Bollen and Lewis because of their record of getting their archery hunters on goats! They have one of the best areas on earth for a B&C goat. Let them know what you want and are capable of, then go from there.

27-Apr-15
I dont see where anyone was offended by their Business practices...But I do know of at least one hunter from this site that hunted with them and during his hunt walked past a goat carcass that "they" killed a week or so earlier the dead goat was one of the biggest in the world with a bow.Again I'm not offended by how they run their outfit, but I do wonder what others who hunted with them or planned on hunting with them thought of it.

I goat hunted the same general area over 20 years and as their record shows it produces some of the biggest in the world. Like I said in my original post their record and the fact that people are paying the prices they ask speaks for itself.

27-Apr-15

Cajunarcher's embedded Photo
Cajunarcher's embedded Photo
Not to try to promote another outfitter because I know bolen and Lewis are a great operation but I personally hunted with Babine outfitters and killed my goat on the 3rd day and saw tons of animals on that hunt. I also wasn't holding out for a 50 incher either , I just wanted a respectable archery goat . I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with them along with quite a few bowsiters that have experienced their awesome operation would probably agree with me . Congrats to all of the nice goats taken on this thread .

27-Apr-15
If I were going to drop a bunch of money to shoot a big goat, I'd pick the guys who are known for finding and shooting big goats...Congrats on your successes guys!

29-Apr-15
Hey guys, awesome thread. Thanks so much everyone for being big supporters of Bolen Lewis. We really do work incredibly hard to run the best goat operation in North America. The success of our clients and our reputation as a quality outfitter is more important to us than anything.

I only have one huge problem with this thread!!... My last name is spelled wrong! HAHA. JK.

You guys are all great. I figured I'd shed some light on how I kill such big goats. Dave and Spike really aren't part of this specific discussion because Spike has never killed a goat in our area and Dave has only killed one.

First of all, you should understand the scope of our area. It is gigantic. We have around 4000 square miles of country where we have exclusive guiding rights. To put that in perspective...it's a land mass that is 25% larger than Delaware and Rhode Island combined. We have over 25 different alpine lakes in our area that we can access with our plane. We also have many hundreds of miles of logging roads and ocean coastline accessible by our boat.

I've been goat hunting for myself 7 times in the last 11 years. I've killed 6 goats, all with archery. Yes, I hunt in very remote areas, but considering the size of our area and goat population, that doesn't really matter. One guy killing 6 goats over an 11 year period out of a 4000 sq mile area is inconsequential.

I have never gone into an area to hunt a specific goat that we knew about. I've always gone in blind and found a goat while hunting on the ground. There are basically 4 reasons I've killed some world class goats:

1. Remember I have been on 7 goat hunts. If you took the biggest goats of any 7 random Bolen Lewis hunts, those goats wouldn't be that different from mine.

2. Every time I goat hunt, I pass 3 to 5 very nice billies, that most of our clients would never pass. These are goats in the 48 to 50 inch range that are fine trophies. Since I already have goats like that, I choose to be more selective.

3. I work very hard to be in very good mountain shape. Not only does that allow me to go deeper, but it allows me to not feel pressure to take a "nice" goat because I am tired. I keep looking for an exceptional billy. #keephammering

4. Finally, I do admit, I am a lucky hunter.

Guys, I gotta tell ya; Spike, Dave and I love this business. We love the people. It is a dream come true to be able to take hardworking bowhunters on their vacation of a lifetime. Every time my phone rings with a Bolen Lewis customer, I am excited to answer. We are blessed to be part of this industry. Thanks again to all of our past clients that were willing to share their success stories.

Allen Bolen

29-Apr-15
Sounds like just the type of guy I would enjoy spending my money with. While it may be getting too expensive for the average person, there are far more outfitters charging less money and delivering average results. $13,900 once is still a lot cheaper than $9500.00 twice.

29-Apr-15
Well, I know who to call for a goat hunt.... Looks and sounds like a great outfit. Allens post speaks volumes, sounds like a stand up guy to me.

30-Apr-15

Halibutman's Link
Those prices are HIGH. There are plenty of "coastal" hunts in alaska selling for under 10K.

I get it that these guys are killing bigger, better goats, but for most hunters a goat hunt is about the experience, since it's a one time affair. That said, I've done it more than once....

02-May-15
Well, I know who to call for a goat hunt.... Looks and sounds like a great outfit. Allens post speaks volumes, sounds like a stand up guy to me.

02-May-15
Nice post Allen.

02-May-15
The great thing about a market-based system is it is the most efficient method for sellers to connect with buyers. They are solidly booked. Those who chose not to don't, and those that chose to are happy. There's nothing to gain by begrudging a system that works.

As far as the guides and their goats, let's see, 4,000 square miles is over 2.5 million acres. A total of 7 goats taken by the guides. Yup, looks like they hunted out all the good ones !!?? But if you really want a non-hunter to guide you, maybe the Sierra Club can take you on one of their outings.

Doubt I'll every have the coin to do one of their hunts. If I did, I'd sure as heck be prepared for it. There's no better mountain shape than goat shape. How many of their clients truly make the training commitment to be in that condition? I have little doubt that if you were, and you told Allen, Dave, or Spike what you were holding out for and what you were willing to do to get it, they'd do a heck of a job giving you a chance. So where's the argument?

03-May-15
 photo 9 BC Goat.jpg

I just read through this entire thread. I may have missed it but I didn't see one negative comment from anybody that has actually hunted with B&L. Just speculative criticism from guys that have never been there, and probably never will. It's telling that all the guys that have actually hunted with B&L have no problem with the speculation raised in this thread.

Two issues that have been questioned, the price and the fact that the owners hunt.

First, if you can't afford it you have two options, stop considering it (and questioning the value) and move on, or work harder, make more money, save longer, sacrifice more, do whatever it takes to be able to afford it. Because if you really want the best chance to hammer a huge archery Billy, B&L are the guys.

And if you can afford it, trust me, it's worth it.

Second, if the owners don't hunt, then any outfitting operation is just a business. I want to be outfitted, and if I'm lucky enough, I want to be guided by someone that shares the same passion I do for the hunt. I want to be around other passionate bowhunters, and who better to understand my needs then another successful bowhunter? And if they hunt and are not successful, I'd be less confidant that they could help me succeed. As far as them killing huge goats, well if you know them you would never question if they are "saving" the big ones for themselves. That's silly. That's your whitetail mentality doing the thinking. A mountain goat is not a whitetail. I would certainly question it if my midwest whitetail guide was arrowing B&C bucks on a regular basis but a mountain goat hunt isn't a whitetail hunt, it's different.

I was one of the first Bowsite regulars to hunt with B&L way back in '05 or '06. I posted a long trip report that was really popular on this site and a lot of guys booked hunts because of it. I've had many follow ups from guys that thanked me for inspiring them to go on the hunt and guess what, almost all of them killed a big goat. I never had anyone get back to me and complain about the price or the fact that the owners killed a big goat that season.

So I don't think the question is about the price or the fact that the owners are passionate and successful hunters, the question is, should you listen the the long list of credible and overwhelmingly positive reviews from guys that have been there with "boots on the ground" experiences, or the concerns of a few that question the value and the fact that like you, the owners also love to bowhunt?

• Sitka Gear