Bou'bound 15-Dec-15
bigkev42 15-Dec-15
Tracker12 17-Dec-15
brettpsu 18-Dec-15
Bou'bound 18-Dec-15
Amoebus 18-Dec-15
Aubs8 16-Jan-16
08-May-15
While talking to a highly recommended outfitter about an archery moose hunt in British Columbia in 2017, he presented me with a very intriguing opportunity. His area borders the Yukon and much hasn't been hunted for many years. He has an area that he wants explored and scouted for mountain goats. I would be with my bow and a guide. We would be flown in for an 11 day hunt. We will only have our packs to hold all of our needs for the almost two weeks. The area is very thick with no trails not to mention the climbs over the mountains in search of the goats, which is a whole another challenge. 10 years ago I would be all over this but now not being a spring chicken, a little worried about my bodies ability to get through it. I want to go badly as it would be a great adventure but a very, very demanding and tough one. I'm 52 yrs old and in good physical shape overall but not goat shape??

08-May-15
You've got two years start training to make it happen

08-May-15
Agree with Bou ... to go where no man's gone before... priceless!

Mike

08-May-15
I agree with Bou'bound. Not only good for your health to get into excellent condition but sounds like a hunt of a lifetime. You only live once.

08-May-15
52? You are a young man approaching mid-life! I thought you were celebrating your 55th on the Moose hunt on your other thread?? Only you can decide about your personal health and desire to hunt goats. I have friends all done in their 50's and I have friends going srong in their 70's! Sure hope it works out!

08-May-15
At 52 it's very do-able, as Bou said you've got two years to get in shape.

Which would be worse?

1. Going and not being able to hunt as hard as you want, and possibly having to quit early. 2. Never trying at all, and regretting it.

I know my answer to that.

09-May-15
Get Big Kev into Skinny fit Kev and GO FOR IT...what a great opportunity

09-May-15
Charlie, The goat hunt would be this September. The moose will be 2017. I was also told to buy a moose tag if I go because there are big moose in the area and you never know.

I am leaning towards doing it. I am thin, ex pro b-ball player, but the knees have taken a toll from the sport.

09-May-15
Kevin,

I've done 2 of those Goat back pack hunts, was by far the hardest hunts of my life, but 2 B&C Archery Goats are the result. I'm 52 as well, have fun!!!

09-May-15
I'd pass.

For me, with all of the money, time and training you need to commit to this, I'd want to go somewhere where I'm certain there are big goats and archery conducive terrain to stalk them in.

My chances to do mountain hunts are just way too few and far between to go on an exploration.

I had a good friend do exactly this type of a trip a few years back, exploring an area that the outfitter had never hunted, hoping to shoot a Stone Sheep. My buddy is a beast and he and his guide covered mile after mile of beautiful and pristine country and never saw the first turd or track. No evidence that a Stone Sheep had ever even been in the country. And the guide talked about all the rams he'd been seeing in the familiar drainages they'd been hunting for years.

Never leave fish to find fish.

09-May-15
I wish I was only 52!! and facing a goat hunt.

I'll be 62 this season and my last goat hunt was last season. And I have bad knees to.

Pace yourself. You won't win a race with a mountain tough young guide, but you can for sure stalk a sleeping or feeding goat. And that goat doesn't know if you took all day to get there as opposed to three hours.

09-May-15
I'm with Bou. Are you paying to go on this experimental hunt? I'd be leery personally.

09-May-15
if the outfitter gave you a great price then maybe ,it can easily turn into big dollar camping trip.

09-May-15
tell him 200 a day and if u tag out then a kill fee.

09-May-15
I agree with city hunter, only way I would go is if it was a VERY low base price with a reasonable kill fee. A lot of times there's a very good reason these places haven't been hunted, and no trails could easily mean lost days getting where you need to be.

09-May-15
Kevin, Try to find out if the area has been flown recently by the outfitter or staff member, perhaps even a biologist that is familiar with a recent survey of the goat population in and around this outfitters area. I have an outfitter in B.C. who recently did this with the government as he was telling them for years that their were far more Goats in his area then what they were allocating for. After a days worth of flying the did indeed find what the outfitter had said all along.

Trips like this have potential to be the next trophy hot spot or like mentioned above a very expensive camping trip. Most any outfitter who is serious about starting a camp in anew mountain area has or will be flying it. Find out!!

Best regards, Scott Alberda

09-May-15
Thanks! Lots of great advice. The cost is relatively low with an additional harvest fee. Plane ride in is $1500 and rest is just food and guide fees. There is also a moose harvest fee if I run into a good one. I do know that last time it was hunted 15 years ago by an indian guide and he took a goat every time he went with a rifle.

I have some more good questions to ask now. Thanks.

09-May-15
Get you some exercise bands and get some physical therapy knee exercises and build everything that supports the knee up.

These are very specific in which a lot of us have done but most do not consider them as preventive maitenance.

I did this in 2012 and have not had a problem. In the mountains the downhill is what gets you.

Good luck

10-May-15
If you have the time and commitment, you can get in hella shape by September. Put it this way, if you go and you're not a quitter, you will be in great shape by the end, the only question is how much pain and suffering it will take while hunting. You know you. Age shouldn't be an issue if you don't have physical problems.

10-May-15
Anyone with an airplane can tell you if there's goats in the area, right?

Isn't there a possibility that there's very few goats and he's trying to sell you a dream?

It may be that this is a great opportunity, but you may be getting screwed.

That said, you only live once and it sounds like an adventure...

Even if there's a only a few goats, even very thinly populated herds get some huge animals when the pressure is low or non-existent.

10-May-15
why not name the "highly recommended outfitter". If he has a strong track record of fair dealing and straight shooting with other species I doubt he'd be selling you a bad deal on a goat hunt. If he is questionable in other areas of his operation then this may be more of the same.

not a reason in the world, if you are really looking for solid input, not to see if anyone can speak to their first hand dealsing with the specific outfitter in question. they can't do that,however, if it is a mystery operation.

10-May-15
Solid advice from Bou again here...once you mention his name you will get hunt reports from other guys here right away about him!

Also you mentioned- "I was also told to buy a moose tag if I go because there are big moose in the area and you never know."......Personally having done two backpack remote sheep hunts, (drop you guys off here and walk over to way over there and get picked up a week later) I would never want to do a moose add-on on a backpack hunt!! Backpacking out a big moose from far days away is impossible.

We did that once from 3-4 miles and the outfitter asked why did we shoot a big AY bull that far from the drop camp!!

10-May-15
The outfitter is Jake Gunson. A number of Bowsiters recommended him via PM and on other threads. I also called some references and everyone states what an honest, candid quality person he is. I also got that impression talking with him a few times. He is not trying to sell me this hunt but mentioned it if I was in good shape as an opportunity. He has been very straight forward about the opportunity and challenges that we could face. The guide who would take me has hiked the closest to the goat area and knows it better than anyone else besides the Indian guide who hunted it successfully15 years ago. If a moose did stumble across our paths,mother have a sat phone to call in for help. It's not a moose hunt, but there are some good Bulls in the area and you wouldn't want to have a big bull hanging around and can't do anything about it. Thanks again.

12-May-15
Well one thing for sure you are not getting any younger, Do it and enjoy, like the others said you have time to train. Good luck.

20-Jun-15
Sent in deposit and started getting into goat shape. Headed up to Northern BC in early September. Will also have a moose tag. Have everything for this backpack hunt except a pack. May just get the Osprey Aether 70. Can't wait.

20-Jun-15
Looking forward to hearing about the hunt...goodluck!!

20-Jun-15
Excellent...Be two great hunts!

20-Jun-15
Like Rocky D said: its the downhill that will get you.

That is for sure. If I was 52, and if the price was right and the outfit is right I would go as well. On a trophy fee basis if your attitude and expectations are appropriate it will be quite a reasonable adventure.

09-Aug-15
Well, my hunt is getting closer. Leave on September 2 for Ft. Nelson. I am feeling pretty good about my conditioning. Besides the usual weights and stairclimber, been doing 3-6 mile hikes with a 40 pound pack a few times a week. Have all the required gear and clothing. Bow is shooting well. Also had the Synvsk injections in my one knee a few weeks back. Should be a great adventure and might even get lucky and get a shot at a goat. Will also have a moose tag, but only plan to use it if I get and opportunity at one bigger than my last 52" bull. I'll let you know how I do if I survive. Good luck to all of you and be safe.

09-Aug-15
Good luck, post photos of your trip when you get back.

09-Aug-15
Sounds like a great adventure. Best of luck and stay safe. Look forward to the follow up story.

09-Aug-15
Good luck & stay safe!

11-Aug-15
cant wait to hear how you make out. Above all, enjoy!

14-Dec-15
Any update on how this went?

15-Dec-15
Me too!

15-Dec-15
I had forgot all about so I was not wondering but am now.

15-Dec-15
It was a great adventure and the toughest thing I had ever done and I played pro basketball. No one had ever made it to the mountain where goats were believed to be as there were no trails, except an Indian hunter over 20 years ago. It took us three days to get there, but we glassed a billy on day two across from the mountain. We made a stalk on Memorial Day and I got within 50 yards, but missed a very steep uphill shot, while I was sliding on the rocks. I also got very close on Day 2, but he spotted me just before the draw and ran. Saw him again with another big billy on day three, but they were in an area on the cliffs that we could not safely get to. I got some great pics, memories and a tremendous appreciation of goats and the habitat they live. I am very glad that I went and accomplished some goals that I was unsure if I could achieve them. Thanks for asking and have a Merry Christmas.

17-Dec-15
Glad it was fun and you are back safely. Sounds like you got your moneys worth.

18-Dec-15
Would love to see the pics.

18-Dec-15
good for you. you did yourself proud!

18-Dec-15
Sounds like you had the right attitude and it was what I would have done if I ever used outfitters.

BTW - I looked you up on the Wiki (ncaa & nba). Your knees should be in great shape! That was a joke - you probably have run that court more times than I can imagine.

Just a note - a guy born in 1961 is not 52 this year...

16-Jan-16
Congratulations! In the end, that is what life is all about!

Take care. Mike

• Sitka Gear