writer 29-May-15
CEO 29-May-15
EmbryO-klahoma 29-May-15
drycreek 29-May-15
Zinger 29-May-15
Topgun 30-06 30-May-15
writer 30-May-15
15-May-15
I've seen some shows lately where they are chasing hogs with dogs and then tying them up and taking them away. Why do they do this as opposed to just shooting or stabbing them after the dogs bay them.

15-May-15
so they can sell them to a place that puts them in a high fence - and bow hunters will pay $500+ to go hunt them.

15-May-15
Seen that also jump in there while a couple dogs hopefully got a good bite on the hog then while avoiding slashing tusk and teeth tie the critter up. Makes shooting then look rather lame! Especially from a helicopter

15-May-15
The big boars get sold to outfitters, smaller hogs get penned up and fattened up for a feast

15-May-15
Swampbuck summed it pretty good, but, I personally do it just to keep our dogs from getting on the same hog. We will circle back around and turn them loose after we finish hunting that property. We pretty much always cut (neuter) the boar hogs and turn them loose. I personally don't sell them, but a lot of guys do.

15-May-15
I guess letting them go doesn't make any sense to me. I'm a northerner and we don't have hogs around here but everything I hear is how they're trying to kill all the hogs they can so why let them go again? I understand letting them go in a shooting preserve but why let them go in the wild?

15-May-15
Zinger, in many states it is illegal to release a feral hog back into the wild after it has been captured. Such is the case in Oklahoma.

16-May-15
Tying them up just makes it a little more interesting!

I used to run hogs with dogs- it was a lot of fun with about the only down side is the dogs would get beat up or killed sometimes.

16-May-15
I think a lot of guys just don't want to deal with a dead hog. The land owners don't want dead stinking pigs laying around....

16-May-15
The down side to this.... With dogs chasing the hogs, it facilitates trespassing. Sure, I'd like to see the pigs gone, but if a team of four guys on four wheelers roll up at our camp at 2am, looking for their dog, that's gone too far. Especially when they've covered a good 1/2 mile of our property to get to our camp. Nothing good comes with pigs.

16-May-15
Hobbling a hog is definitely the most "bully" method of capture and removal. We do it that way, and we use a spear, or a knife. I've never sold a live hog, since we are trying to eliminate them from our property and all the neighbors places as well, they typically leave dead or are left for the coyotes. Most, if not all, of the hogs that are sold for premium rates (prices go up per pound for larger hogs) are released on "preserves" where people then pay to hunt them. If you are hunting "trophy" size hogs in an enclosure, you can bet your boots they've been handled before and were "dropped to be popped" by the operator of the preserve. Really big, genuinely wild hogs are a rare thing. We usually get three or four a year that are close to 300 lbs. they absolutely do not get bigger than that without supplemental feed and/or castration. A "Barr hog" (barrow) will get much larger and have better tasting meat, hence the common practice of releasing post castration....in hopes of catching him again. Castrated boars also tend to have larger tusks, making for a better trophy skull...as well as a more aggressive rodeo at the bay!

Hunting hogs with dogs is just like hound hunting anywhere. You are allowed by law to recover a "working animal", which a hunting dog certainly is. Recovery of dogs is just like recovery of an escaped cow or horse. The appropriate thing to do is contact the owners of any parcels you need to cross in order to recover dogs, and to ask permission to capture the hog if it is no longer in your area of permission/ownership. In east Texas, permission is commonly given easily, with most land owners comfortable with unimpeded access if you make clear your intentions and honor them.

16-May-15
Not sure about the "working animal" thing. Here in wisconsin having your dog go one someone else's land gives you no right to go on their property - NONE! In fact they tried to pass a law saying it would be legal to trespass to recover a dog and it was soundly defeated.

16-May-15
I don't know what the laws are here in Oklahoma, but that "working animal" law is ludicrous when referring to hogs. First thing a hog is going to do is flee. Lets say a hog flees 1/4 mile on another persons property... So, the person has the right to go retrieve their dog and just let the hog go? I doubt that will happen, especially in the dead of night when most people are sleeping. My guess is they'll pursue the dog and the hog onto private property, because the risk is so small they will get caught. If you can't tell, I just hate hogs.

18-May-15

firemen's embedded Photo
firemen's embedded Photo
Here my 19 year old the guilde said she had more balls then most of his hunters

18-May-15
Florida regs.

18-May-15

Swampbuck's embedded Photo
Florida regs.

18-May-15

29-May-15
"The land owners don't want dead stinking pigs laying around...."

Landowners I've interviewed in Kansas,with $5,000 or more in damage to a corn crop in ONE field, would rather have them stinking than alive.

We did the knife thing...the dogs held the pig down. It isn't nearly as macho as most who do it portray it to be.

Go hunt them with spears or knives without dogs, though, .....

29-May-15
I have a lease in East Texas and have met a few guys that want to let their dogs out on my property. When I tell them it's not large enough to run dogs (750 acres) they say it doesn't matter, they hunt wherever they want. When they get caught trespassing they just say they were recovering their dog. The law causes quite a few debates on some of the local forums.

29-May-15
CEO.... That's the exact same scenario I ran into on my place in SE Oklahoma. Three four wheelers, 4 guys, all packing heat, at 2am on the center of our property.. Looking for their dogs on the GPS tracker. Of course they had to cut a fence on the way somewhere too.

29-May-15
CEO, I agree, except you left out the word " heated " in front of debate.:)

29-May-15
Fireman, is that hog in the picture alive yet? If it is that is just plain wrong. To allow one's dogs to do that to ANY animal is no better than putting two dogs in a pen and betting on the winner. Even if the hog is dead it's still beyond cruel to let your dogs do that. I'm not against using dogs for hunting but allowing them to do that is just plain wrong.

30-May-15
She wouldn't be holding that hog like that with the dogs in it's face if it was alive! Normally dogs will grab a hog by it's ears and hold on until the person gets there to kill it or tie it up. The picture does look pretty gross, but things get pretty charged up when a bunch of dogs grab onto a hog and many get hurt or killed from the cutters a decent hog has.

30-May-15
"a bunch of dogs grab onto a hog and many get hurt or killed from the cutters a decent hog has."

That's not going to win you any points!

When we did it, the serious chewing, on the hog, began after the animal was killed.

• Sitka Gear