Huntcell 19-Jun-15
BULELK1 19-Jun-15
Bigdan 19-Jun-15
NMBIGHORN 19-Jun-15
cityhunter 20-Jun-15
bucman 21-Jun-15
bucman 21-Jun-15
19-Jun-15
This will be a zoo. They are thinking of selling unlimited tags to eliminate the entire infected herd.

" An isolated bighorn sheep herd located southeast of Dillon, Montana are the subject of an eradication discussion. The herd, made up of 30-40 sheep, have been identified as carriers of a certain bacteria that increases the likelihood of pneumonia transmission to other sheep populations. The department of Montana Fish, Wildlife, and Parks (FWP) are considering measures to eliminate the infected population, one of which would involve hunters participating in the aggressive pursuit of this specific population".

19-Jun-15
Count me in!

19-Jun-15
I also would not feel great about the circumstance but would love to participate. It may be the only opportunity to hunt these fine creatures for many people.

19-Jun-15
The way I read it, you HAD to APPLY for that unit and then they will go down those that applied FIRST---to issue the tags....

Good luck, Robb

19-Jun-15
What's the unit number / numbers for this possible hunt?

19-Jun-15
Most of the sheep are on public land 315 is the unit

19-Jun-15
Thanks !

19-Jun-15
My buddy drew the Ewe tag last year.

Kind of a circle jerk with the private/public ground---with the November rut hunt dates.

Good luck, Robb

19-Jun-15
Many times for years I hunted there for Deer Elk and antelope. But every year I had sheep around me. Most of the sheep are in Big sheep creek.

19-Jun-15
Aerial report in Feb.2015 shows 19 adult sheep and 1 lamb, so there numbers must be off at 30-40.

So who is gonna shoot the lamb?

I am in also as is a brother of mine, we will be archery hunting them and if no shot, we then will hunt rifle until were done.

20-Jun-15
why kill them, then reintroduce more sheep into a area were they are at risk.

21-Jun-15
The biologists are saying it's the sheep that are the carriers of the disease. There have been several transplants of sheep in the area over the last 18 years, and apparently they all have died. Also essentially no lamb recruitment for quite a while. Don't know... Should be an interesting hunt if everyone who says they will hunt actually does. Probably have a few hunters for every sheep in the unit.

21-Jun-15
I also have to add that this isn't the only opportunity for someone to hunt sheep. There are several over the counter sheep units in montana that don't have diminished, dwindling, and diseased herds.. I wonder how many Rams are in the unit and if they will uphold the 7 year waiting period if someone gets a 3/4 curl ram.

• Sitka Gear