Nrasac 16-Dec-19
Scoot 16-Dec-19
Highlife 16-Dec-19
Beginner 16-Dec-19
bigdog21 17-Dec-19
ground hunter 17-Dec-19
Boatman71 17-Dec-19
24-Jun-15
Hi. I had a stroke and can no longer use my bows which are 60 to 70 pound draw weights. Question is does anyone own or has had experience with a company who ha a 40 pound draw weight bow I could use so I can getn back to hunting Thanks!

24-Jun-15
all the bow companys make 40# bows that fit adults

24-Jun-15

beckerbulldog's Link
Check out Elite Archery

24-Jun-15
I just bought a Matthews/Mission Riot for my Wife.

Adjusts from 20 to 70 pounds (easy to adjust)...and the draw length is super easy to adjust as well.

Point being, you can fine tune it to your ability. Shoots very smooth as well.

I believe it has an IBO of 310 fps...which is about the same as my Elite Pure. At 40 pound draw weight, it's plenty to bring down deer size game with medium weight arrows.

Best of luck with your recovery, Ole Coyote.

Best of Luck, Jeff

24-Jun-15
What kinda money are you looking to invest in your new bow? The reason I ask, is because a few custom bow builders make some sweet low pound rigs that will flat out fling an arrow. Johns Custom Archery comes to mind. I've got a custom bow of his set at 62 lbs and it's a screamer. It's absolutely amazing how smooth and accurate this bow is (PSE Evo 7 Riser with Omen Cams). For instance at 62 lbs, 29" draw, peep d-loop and kisser on the string, and a 455 gr arrow I'm still shooting around 291-292 fps. That is pretty darn impressive (That's an IBO near 360 fps). An to top it off it's very accurate. I've seen other low poundage bows he's built for guys with bad shoulders that are equally impressive.

24-Jun-15
The Diamond "Infinite Edge" ranges from 5-70lbs and 13-30 inch draw length. Very easy to adjust. It is only $300. My 13 year old son bought one. I think it is a pretty nice bow for the price. It will definitely do the job.

24-Jun-15
Coyote,

Is your difficulty in pulling thru the draw cycle, or let off weight? As others have said, most of them brands being marketed should be able to provide a 40# bow.

That said, and if you're concerned about the entire draw cycle and let off weight, you might check out bows by Concept Archery. They're what I'd call a niche company, and they may have something to meet your needs.

Concept-brand bows have an adjustable let-off of 99% and 80%, and at variable weights from 40# to 70#.

I first learned about the brand from Tink Nathan (you read that correctly - Tink, one of the original developers of what's now known as the IBEP Course used to drop by once or twice year) during a Bowhunter Ed class that Millie and I were teaching.

Tink and the guest he brought to class each had a Concept bow. I shot one and found the draw cycle was smooth, wall was solid and the let off set at 99% unbelievable.

The unfortunate thing is that while they've been around for a few years, they don't have many 'authorized dealers' marketing them yet (I only see listings for dealers along the East coast and in Ontario CA)

Check them out, this may be what you need.

Their website is: www.conceptarchery.com

24-Jun-15
Got my 13 yr old nephew into a PSE Stinger X.. it's at 42 lbs and shoots fast and flat. He shoots a 27" draw same as me. Seems like it will be enough for deer or turkey.

Good luck with your recovery.. I had a bizarre injury to my left arm, and had to rehab it as if I had a stroke since it atrophied and the joint froze while it was cast.

24-Jun-15
Hoyt Ignite Best of luck to you! Hope you can start flinging them again soon!

24-Jun-15
40# compound will be more than enough to kill deer and in some cases larger animals. Over on the Leather Wall there was a thread for light weight bow kills. In it there were many killing large animals using low forty's recurve and longbows. One guy showed a photo using about 42# recuve to take a moose. Compounds today generate more energy than these Traditioanl bows pound for pound. One of the key things they did was use heavier arrows 8-10 grs/lb of draw weight for the larger animals. Also using a cut on contact head, such as a Stinger, will aid in the penetration. Alot of folks get complete pass throughs (read that as arrows sticking in the dirt) on animals using 40# traditional gear. If they can do, you DEFINATLY can do it with compound gear. Using the lighter weight gear your arrows trajectory won't be as flat so yardage guestimation will be a little more critical especially for longer shots. Your shot selection will need to be a little more selective, the more broadside the better. DANNY

24-Jun-15
Thank you all pleae keep them coming, now i have a few good ideas to look at and try. Next thing is getting my left leg back in good enough shape to get bck in the woods1

24-Jun-15
Depending on how old your bow(s) may be, you might just be able to get a different set of limbs for your current bow that would get you down to the weight that you need. Could save you some money and have a bow you are familiar with......

24-Jun-15
Lots of options out there. My advise is to stay away from the youth bows. They will fit your draw length, but without a draw stop, you will not like shooting the spongy soft back wall of an over-adjustable youth bow.

You can probably find limbs to fit your existing bow, or have someone like Barnsdale make you a set of top-shelf target quality limbs to fit your bow at any peak draw weight you want, at less than $200.

26-Jun-15
I also had a stroke, five years ago. Left side was completely shut down at first, and gradually returned with rehabbing.

When I got enough strength and control back to hold my bow out at almost arms length without drawing it, I began cranking it down in draw weight. I was actually using an older Browning single-cam compound rather than my Mathews hunting bow, but both were rated 70# draw weight. Figured if there did turn out to be some problem in shooting one at low weight, I'd risk the older backup bow first.

I kept cranking the bow down until I could draw it, checking occasionally to make sure there were threads left in the riser to hold things together.

When I could finally begin drawing the bow, I measured the draw weight. It was breaking over at 27#.

At first I just used it as an exercise device indoors to regain strength and control in the left arm/shoulder.

After a few weeks, it was too tempting to fid out what would happen if I actually shot it. I could only shoot twenty yards in my yard, but figured that would be plenty for a while.

The bow shot smoothly and quietly, and there was no rattling or problems at all that I could detect for a few shots. Then the string jumped off the cam! I was at first worried that I had hurt something, but closer inspection showed that I had apparently only gotten a poor release (old finger shooter) that imparted a little sideways wiggle and derailed things. The good news was that I didn't even need to press the bow to put the string back on. At the low pressures on everything at that draw weight, I could easily slip the string back onto the cam and resume shooting.

A week or so at that weight, and I started cranking in a turn at a time every couple weeks and increasing my reps as well, until I was back in the woods that fall with the Mathews, cranked down to 40# and sighted in again. Chrono'd it at 200 fps at 40# at a 3D shoot, with 450 gr. arrows, so I felt sure it was capable of doing its part if I did mine. I'd have been tickled pink with that performance from the 48# Bear Kodiak I started with 53 years ago.

Didn't get the opportunity to shoot a deer that fall, but I was confident that I had the accuracy and power to get the job done at twenty yards or less, and almost all my killing shots have been within that distance over the years, although I have always enjoyed shooting longer distances in practicing and 3D events.

My slowest progress has been in the use of a release aid. That may well be because I had used one very little prior to the stroke. I seemed to be much more susceptible to punching the trigger and even extreme "nervous breakdowns" trying to release with the Carter, and had to stay with fingers during most of my rebuilding time.

I could have pushed harder to regain strength, accuracy and consistency over the next couple years, our local ranges where I used to shoot winter indoor leagues had closed down, and I let myself backslide during the winters and had to back some weight off the bow again each spring. But every year I have ended the year shooting better than I did the year before, until now I am again gong to 3D's and hitting mostly 8's, with few if any complete misses. I still shoot Hunter class, with the 35 yard approx. maximum range, but I usually shot that class before the stroke, too, as I always considered it be the most appropriate for our eastern whitetail hunting.

Getting tired of finger pinch, and about ready to start using the release again.

So, my advice would be to take a good look at your bows and decide whether you can safely just crank one of them down below their intended range of draw weight. Most of them will suffer no ill effects whatever, and present no danger, but there MAY be some exceptions, so proceed with due caution. You may well be perfectly capable of keeping and using your current bows throughout the process of rehabbing.

And hang in there! I'm 70, and still regaining strength and control. Bet you can, too.

26-Jun-15
Look hard at the bowtech rpm 360, this bow is so smooth at draw lengths under 29"s, I'm talking elite smooth and way faster, dead quiet and easy to shoot, I like it more than any bow I've owned, and I've owned a few over the years, especially the last 5 years! I'm looking for one for my ole man!

If you don't like the bowtech look at bows that have a 6" brace height, with sting stops 6" is the the new 7", but faster, its like adding a inch of draw lenght or 10 lbs, and they shoot just as good as any 7"er does, many will say better!

26-Jun-15
Samick Sage, pull what you can at that time. and my kids made great use of M/Misson as well.

26-Jun-15
When I was recovering from back and neck injuries I first went to xbow then moved into a 40-50# compound. I started at 40 and eventually made it back to 50. I killed several deer with thoat bow set at low to mid 40s draw weights. That bow was a PSE Chaos. Actually still have it. They were available in 30-40# too and were draw length adjustable to 28" max and can be had for under $200 used as can several other of PSE's entry level models.

I've own a few brands since then but my preference now is Athens. I'm not a staffer, just a fan. I have not found a better brand for overall value for what you get. They have great fit and finish, very smooth draw cycle and excellent customer service. In lighter draw Athens I have a 30-40 Ibex, , 40-50 Ibex, 40-50 Accomplice 32, 40-50 Convixtion, and 40-50 Testament. They are all great bows. New models are mod adjustable for draw. Earlier models are draw length specific. Their warranty also follows the bow.

I did a pile of testing last year with our heads on various shafts in a Convixtion's set at 42# and 48#. I put the 30-40# limbs on the Ibex for another round this year.

16-Dec-19
Thinking of moving my compound bow from 50 to 60 pound. Will ten pound increment seem like a lot or should I just add 5 pounds.

16-Dec-19

16-Dec-19
I'm in the same boat due to a shoulder issue. Have a Darton that is 55-70 lbs. Was having problems getting to full draw, so turned it down all the way, but still didn't help.

I was only aware of the Infinity Edge....................................but I will check out the other options. Thanks!

16-Dec-19
^^^^ That depends on your strength, try it and see how you do. Any struggle after 8-10 shots and it's to heavy, back it off five.

I have always found the best way to move up in weight is to do a turn or two every week or so as you are comfortable with it.

16-Dec-19
Same problem here.... Had my right shoulder replaced 11 months ago... Didn't recover very well.. The shoulder is still very weak. Tried hunting with xbow & its not for me.

So, I ordered a Mathews Traverse at 40 to 50lbs & 28.5 draw length.

I ran the specs & this is what I'll end up with. Bow set at 48lbs, 28.5 DL, Easton FMJ 400 arrow at 451gr with a 125gr Magnus 4-bld stinger. Should shoot at 242fps. I hope this is enough to get the job done on deer...

16-Dec-19
As said above most manufacturers make bows in the 40-50lb range. You have nearly unlimited choices. Start out at 40lbs and crank it up as you regain your strength. Pick one you like. Ebay is a good place to look. My wife shoots a Hoyt Charger in that draw weight range and it shoots through deer.

16-Dec-19
IMVHO, you might want a bow that doesn't weigh very much in addition to having low draw weight. I'd maybe look at the PSE carbon bows if they are within your budget. Great smooth drawing cam, lightweight bow, and plenty of speed.

16-Dec-19
I just got into bow hunting July for first time and purchased first bow. Mission mxr 29 inch draw. 50 lb. Just worry about penetration at 40 yds.thanks for input.

16-Dec-19
I sent you a PM, but more importantly, I wish you good luck in your rehab and healing up process! I think it's awesome you're sticking with it and have a goal of getting back out flinging arrows.

16-Dec-19
Sharp cut on impact broadhead should have no worries on penetration. Suggest lots of practice shooting at that range

16-Dec-19
If you are looking at a recurve go ILF. Change limbs to fit the poundage you like.

17-Dec-19
the bows we have today 40# will get the job dune , more important will be arrow weight and broadhead design , I would stick with 10gr per pound arrow weight and a good 2 blade head like magnus stingers . stay away from the mechanical heads. I hunt a lot with a 40# recurve black widow and can get pass threw if I stay away from heavy bone. also check out longer bows they will draw a little easier and be more stable to hold at full draw. lite poundage bows seem to me a little harder to hold steady compared to using 60+ bows. so longer also adds weight helping you hold steady,

17-Dec-19
I regularly shoot a 45 pound compound..... right heavy arrow and coc head, no issues,,,, I shoot a Hoyt Carbon Spyder.... no need for more, in my opinion

17-Dec-19

Boatman71's Link
I have shot a few of these in 60 lb. Herd to believe it was a 60 lb bow as it simply came straight back, no hump in the draw cycle. I can only imagine what it would draw like in 40 :-) Will still have respectful speed as well.

Just a thought.

• Sitka Gear