Sage Buffalo 30-Jun-15
Sage Buffalo 30-Jun-15
Ermine 30-Jun-15
Nick Muche 30-Jun-15
cityhunter 30-Jun-15
cityhunter 30-Jun-15
cityhunter 30-Jun-15
27-Jun-15
Ok,, after not draw my Colorado tag with 16 points, but then drawing my Wyoming tag with 4 points I will be hunting unit 47 on a type 1 tag.

Now I have hunted elk for over 20 years, but never hunted pronghorn and I know just about nothing about hunting and their habits. So I ask for your help.. I'd like to go into the hunt with the knowledge from you folks as if I've been hunting them for 10 years.

This will be a diy hunt, I will be hunting on the opening day which is August 15. I will be there about 5 days before the season opens and will get to hunt about 6 days. I also will be hunting on private property.

Not even sure where to start. So here goes, is there any good books or dvd's on them? I can hunt with blinds over watering holes or fence crossing or spot and stalk.. What is flagging at a water hole with the use of I guess orange flagging tape and how do you use it? Decoying should I use one, say one bedded at a water hole just to calming them down or false sense of security. Who makes a good decoy.. I saw on an other thread where Cityhunter cut the legs off a whitetail decoy and panted it up. Please feel free to just start posting info on there habits. Any info is going to help me. I have lots of question, but I'll start here for now.. Thanks Ed

27-Jun-15
Double post sorry. Ed

27-Jun-15
Ed lope are one of the easiest DIY hunts ,In aug water would be key , with 5 days before the season i would set up some vantage points find a good shooter buck and figure were he is watering . Even in the open sage flats lopes are creatures of habit. Bring at least 2 or more ground blinds. I tie my blindsin with thin wire with large spikes in the ground. Lope can and will water at anytime during the day.I never sit till dark . Prepare for long HOT days in a blind

27-Jun-15
Spot and stalk is the least productive ( depending on terrain ) , but by far the most fun way to hunt. Water hole hunting can be a grueling and boring endeavor until the chosen one makes his appearance at your blind. Then, it's a few seconds to a few minutes of adrenaline !

The flagging talked about is the attempt to guide your goat closer to the blind if you are hunting over water that is too large to shoot across or the pond is too long. Use 48" surveyor's stakes and tie surveyor's tape to them in a sort of a fence to keep the goats out of the area that you are unable to cover with a shot. The idea being that the goats will shy away from the flagged area. I have never had to do this, but some say it works.

The only decoying I've done was during the rut, and that defineatly works..........sometimes. It has been my experience that you have to get fairly close to a goat ( with a harem ) that is actively keeping his girls together and running off other bucks. If you get within 100/150 yards of him, on the sly of course, then pop that deke on him, he will almost always charge the deke. This is best done with a partner holding the deke, and you doing the shooting. Be prepared for 40/60 yard shots, but most will be broadside as they tend to pull up, turn sideways , and stand their hair up to present their meanest look to a competitor. A Mel Dutton decoy is the best decoy that I have seen for this. This decoy is no longer made, but you can find them for sale on ebay or possibly on AT.

I guess the only other things I can add are: If there are cattle on the place, take your blind down at night or protect it in some way as cattle can/will destroy it !

Take care of your animal as quickly as possible as it will be hot and goats spoil quickly. I've heard others say never get hair on the meat, but I can tell you that's damn near impossiblr because antelope hide wants to roll up toward the inside, unlike deer or elk. Why ? I don't know, but having killed many, and helping to skin many others, it just does. But unlike deer, once the carcass cools a little, the course hair of a pronghorn will brush off by hand.

Enjoy your hunt, good luck, and especially, enjoy the eating, 'cause the only thing I've ever eaten that will compare is elk, and I ain't sure that elk isn't just a tie !

27-Jun-15
There are a lot of Pronghorn threads on Bowsite. Click on the pronghorn icon and help yourself to a gazillion sources of info....videos too....

30-Jun-15
City, My blinds (3 of them) have rope tie outs. Any other reason you said wire?

Drycreek, As for the flagging. Are you just pushing the rod in the ground and tying 4 feet of flagging type so in the wind it blows out/ moves around, is it tied in the center of the 4 feet or on the end? How many do you use? Been thinking for borrowing a elec fence from a friend for the cattle. I'd use the fiber grass rods to hold up the fence. only need 4, I guess.

Medicinemann, been reading them all. I even got a note book and been writing notes. Like I said I'd like to go into this hunt like I've been hunting them for years.

Ed

30-Jun-15
1. Don't shoot anything on the first day unless it's a giant. If you are in a good area you should see 50-100 antelope a day. Sit back and enjoy. Take videos or pics.

2. Take a friend or child. Antelope hunting was made for hanging out with a buddy or child. Typically you can see antelope coming for a long ways out. This is a great because it means you can hang out and catch up on the last year. It's one of the great things about antelope hunting.

3. Never shoot at an antelope coming at you. If they are coming to water there's a reason. Wait till they get there to drink. My buddy and once watched a guy miss a great antelope at 50 yards - yup he started shooting as the antelope was coming in to water at likely 15 yards. WAIT!!!

4. Hit the lungs and you will be happy miss them and you will feel crappy. Regardless of what anyone says, if you do not hit them well they do not fall over and die. You will have an agaonzing afternoon on your hand chasing them all over kingdom come. They can reproduce blood faster than any other NA animal.

5. Get that meat on ice ASAP. Take time for pics and high 5s but then get it on ice. We usually have meat on ice < 2 hours after it hits the ground.

I am sure I have a few more but my battery is about to die...

30-Jun-15
6. If rain is in the forecast forget #1 and shoot anything that will make you happy. Rain can stop antelope from coming in for a day or two (even longer depending how much).

7. S&S is doable if in right terrain or area like WY where there are so many goats they are not afraid cars if you stop on a road (which is in my opinion how most S&S goats are killed). However, where we hunt in ID you can all but forget about it - it's nearly impossible.

8. Make sure you have something planned for when you are done like fishing or mule deer hunting.

Ok battery is about done.

30-Jun-15
If your gonna sit water sit all day long until after dark. Majority of the pronghorns I have observed water in the evening or right at dark.

My closest shot on a pronghorn is 9 yards!

30-Jun-15
It took me 40+ stalks to kill one spot n stalk but I'd do 40 more if it meant not ever sitting in a blind waiting again ??

30-Jun-15

cityhunter's embedded Photo
if u want a fun spot stalk hunt try this hat in mid to late sept I chased a few befor i got this guy i couldnt draw cause i was laughing to hard.

I use thin wire Wy has lots of wind the wire dosent stretch keeps the blind on the ground.

30-Jun-15

This is mad man Bill! AKA rain man lol shot this one in the rain go figure ! Broad laylight Funny thing Bills friend just missed it 5 min before i got him a 25 yard shot on a spot and stalk nd he missed by a country mile lope then ran in bills direction my phone rang it was Bill screaming i got one LOL

30-Jun-15

This crazy eyes anthony !! last day tagg out in the rain, Lope follow patterns i tagged out early and glassed a herd out in the sage, We set the blind up against a electric pump house no water for a mile .. I sat back about a mile behind the binos ,I saw the herd nearing his blind just hope he was awake . I saw the herd explode min later Anthony was out of his blind perfect kill shot ,, Crazy eyes was happy !

Lope are a blast to chase on the DIY with friends its even more fun.

• Sitka Gear