Jchiumiento 10-Feb-19
Jchiumiento 10-Feb-19
WapitiBob 10-Feb-19
White Falcon 10-Feb-19
Jchiumiento 10-Feb-19
Jchiumiento 11-Feb-19
wyliecoyote 11-Feb-19
17-Jul-15
For the second time now in consecutive seasons I've had a limb failure. Took the now out tonight for my nightly practice and there it went... Let the arrow fly a good 5ft high. Looked down and instantly new. Cracked length ways one of the top limbs. Last year it was a bottom limb.

It's a bear attack. 28" @62lb. Not sure what is up.

Bear customer service was awesome last year. Overnighted limbs as was just a few days prior to season. I'm sure they will be good again.

My big concern is in now losing confidence in the bow. I had the tuning perfect. It was near perfect. Absolutely no warning prior to failure. I'd hate to ruin a hunt like this. I'm not seeing this as common with bear either.

Any advice from others with failures or is this just a "fluke"

17-Jul-15
please list what arrow and what point and weight you are shooting. could it be a dry fire thing ? so close to the season its alfull to have to start from scratch and never mind worrying about getting a bow in time

17-Jul-15
Shooting a 29" gt 75/95 with 100gr G5 striker.

17-Jul-15
I guess you are around 380-400g, that's light but, I do not feel that's the only cause, maybe there limbs just have to much hardner. I like there bows. hard to believe you got screwed twice.

17-Jul-15
I'd be fine with increasing weight if that seems to be an issue. Have to redo everything anyway.

I'm going to take bow in to shop and call bear. See what's up. I love the bow otherwise.

How much weight should i add? What's best way to add it?

17-Jul-15
Is it being pressed correctly? I have heard that pressing incorrectly can weaken or put stress cracks in limbs that will make them fail later or during pressing. My 2 cents

17-Jul-15
I don't have a press but I wouldn't know what to look for when it's at the shop and they do the limb install. I can only hope they know what they are doing.

Unless I can't feel it happening here seems to be no warning to the failure. Just happens

18-Jul-15
Always listen for any "tics" while shooting a bow. They will let you know prior to breaking.

I've heard the infamous tic several times, each time revealed a sliver or slight crack in the limb.

My Mathews Chill R went through two sets of limbs prior to my set now.

Maintain the faith, Bear is a great archery company.

18-Jul-15
Are you leaving your bow in your truck during the day ? heat will cause the limbs to delaminate . Forrest

18-Jul-15
"Are you leaving your bow in your truck during the day ? heat will cause the limbs to delaminate"

That was the first question that came to my mind.

18-Jul-15
Can I ask why such a stiff shaft?? You could easily shoot a .400 spine. My guess would be the heat thing as well or leaving the bow in an area where it is exposed to a lot of direct sun light. Shawn

19-Jul-15
Honestly just tried the stiffer shaft. Shot 55/75 for years and figured I'd try them when I was thinking about going heavier heads. Just hadn't don't that yet. I've had great results with them and extremely consistent. I know they are on stiff side but I've yet to see an issue with that of any kind.

As for heat... I keep it in my garage. My garage is integral to the house and I'd say may see 80s tops and never below 45.

It's possible it's been in a vehicle when hotter than that but honestly can think of anytime I take it anywhere except for hunting or to shop.

It hangs from a bow hanger though. Should I not store hanging?

19-Jul-15
Yikes that's scary.

On a completely different note just emphasizes to always have a backstop. Not everyone has acerage - I know I'm not the only one practising inside city limits!

20-Jul-15
YES a backstop is always a must.

I called Bear this morning. Said <1% failure on limbs but said they will be overnighting limbs for me. Just recommended that the bow is gone over completely. Hopefully just a fluke and we move on.

20-Jul-15
I would not ever shoot that bow again. I would send it to Bear with a bow on it.

Time and expense spent practicing, tuning, buying accessories. Time, effort and expense spent hunting and traveling to hunt. The draw or purchased of permits, vacation time, and potential missed opportunity. SAFTEY ISSUES...

Way too much riding on this for poor equipment to be used in my opinion.

20-Jul-15
Yea I talked to bear about the possibilty of a new bow/trade/honor it. I'm going to see what the shop says of any other issues found. As I said in the first post. I've seriously lost some confidence in something that at one point I hade 100% confidence.

20-Jul-15
Sir, I think the lessen is larger than that. Get a bow of a different make and move on.

20-Jul-15
Bow is in its way back to bear. Dealer didn't want to touch it and I wanted bear to do something about going through limbs. Ill be in the market for a bow. Would love to pick something up if someone has a used option. Need 28" and 60-70lb. Feel free to PM. In mean time we will see what Bear has to say about going through limbs.

21-Jul-15
Bump,

Guys, I know many of you have a great bow that you would not mind parting with. This is your chance to help the guy get a good one.

Thanks!

21-Jul-15
Regarding your limb failures - I have stored my Mathews DXT in my car on weekdays as I work away from home on weekdays. I shoot at work. During the past 2 years, my bow has sat in the locked car, in the heat with days over 90 without any issues. Everyone I talked to advised against doing this but I didn't have any choice. I put the bow on the floor of the back seat so it was out of direct sunlight at all times as I covered it with a coat.

Therefore, I doubt that heat had anything to do with your limb issues. I too have had limb failures and a riser failure, but those were decades ago.

>>>>-------->

21-Jul-15
I'd certainly have reservations about shooting it again. One failure...maybe. But, twice? That's once too often.

21-Jul-15
that is certainly a bad deal. Don't worry about the arrow weight as you are well over what you need for a 62lb bow. I have shot a 395 grain arrow for a long time out of 70lb bows and not had an issue. Good luck on the new bow.

21-Jul-15
I've had several limb failures on bows made by Mathews. That's why we buy from companies that stand behind their bows.

21-Jul-15

As for arrow weight... The local shop and Bear felt arrow weight was adequate. Figure I'm at 392 according to their scale.

The absolute only thing I can say about this with Bear is that they stood behind replacing the limbs no question asked.

That said I just don't feel comfortable. Once they get the bow they are going to call me. Going to explain my feelings and see what they do. I don't want a ruined hunt or to pick carbon out of my face or worse. Shame too. The bow was really shooting well prior to this. Finally got it tuned almost perfect for me.

In the mean time I'll be shopping for other options. I can't believe the number of limb issues I seem to find online with multiple companies. Pretty scary to think about really.

10-Feb-19

Jchiumiento 's embedded Photo
Lower limb snapped
Lower limb snapped
Hello guys. So i purchased a bear approach on 01-06-19 and the limbs have now snapped twice on me. Pretty upset and at this point i want nothing to do with Bear at all. I was just wondering how your customer service with Bear went and did they ever refund your money?

10-Feb-19
Was down at the local shop and there were 5 compounds on the table with either limb or cam failure/problems, told the gent it was starting to local like the local auto body repair shop from this winter.

10-Feb-19
Bow shop does all my work

10-Feb-19

1st time limbs snapped
1st time limbs snapped
This was the first set of failed limbs. Both times it has been the lower limbs

10-Feb-19
This was the first set of failed limbs. Both times it has been the lower limbs

10-Feb-19
Ya i couldn't tell you that. I would only hope

10-Feb-19
Ya i couldn't tell you that. I would only hope

10-Feb-19
You better find a different shop.

10-Feb-19
OP, did your arrow still have a nock on it??

10-Feb-19
Yes

11-Feb-19
Well.. Bear told me they would not give me a refund but they would upgrade me to a different bow. I didnt want a new Bear as I have a Mathews Traverse on the way. I pressed the dealer for my refund and got it...thank God

11-Feb-19
Been shooting Bear for 3 years....I do all the things listed above that we shouldn't do...never had a problem....I love the bow...just lucky, I guess.

Joe

• Sitka Gear