Bigdan 19-Aug-15
NvaGvUp 19-Aug-15
Medicinemann 19-Aug-15
NvaGvUp 19-Aug-15
Mark Watkins 19-Aug-15
28-Jul-15

Medicinemann's embedded Photo
Medicinemann's embedded Photo
In the event that September pronghorn bowhunting in Wyoming throws us a curve, and it is too wet to hunt water holes, I wanted to have a plan B. My plan B will be either hunting at a fence crossing or something that takes advantage of the rut (so I guess I actually have a plan B and a Plan C).

I bought a cheap, blemished Rinehart deer target some time ago and "converted" it into a pronghorn buck target for under $100, as opposed to paying $449 for a new Rinehart. I believe that Ermine posted a similar thread some time ago. (Great idea, Ermine!!). I also picked up a Flambeau hard plastic decoy on the cheap, and made it into a pronghorn doe.

Now, I have a Plan B and a plan C.......waterholes, fence crossings (with a decoy), and even a rut scenario that might make a buck jealous....and I have removed the weather from possibly affecting the chance for opportunities...because regardless of precipitation, the bucks will be horny (see what I did there....horny.....pronghorn...get it....Ok, Ok, so I am a little bored waiting for my first hunt....give a Bowsiter a break, will you?!!)

I intend to spray paint one of my blinds a light brown color by spraying it through some grass or reeds...kinds like spraying a gun or bow with paint by holding a fern leave in front of the weapon while spraying. Hopefully, it won't "blob" as much as a darker colored blind would.....

Let's play devils advocate, and assume it is wet, and the antelope aren't coming to water with any frequency. I would default to a fence crossing alternative...because even rutting animals will still be crossing fences, and I can "double-up" on opportunities.

Here's my question......do I put only the doe decoy near the fence crossing (like Cityhunter posted a photo of, in a related thread).....or do I put the buck near the fence crossing WITH the doe? A solitary doe will bring in ANY buck looking for action....while having a buck near the doe, might scare away smaller bucks. I am going to pass on smaller bucks.

I have actually have two sets of horns. One set to replicate a mature animal.....and one set of rather small horns. The mature set might "filter" out all but the biggest and baddest of bucks.....the smaller set might draw them in because it looks like an easy fight to win (kinda like Pat versus Chicken salad or Bratwurst....hint....bet on the food every time). I should also mention that the ears of the deer doe decoy are huge....so I opted to make some much narrower ears for the pronghorn doe. Took all of one minute to "whittle" two ears out of some foam, and another minute or two, to paint them.

Any thoughts from my fellow Bowsiters?

28-Jul-15
Jake, sounds to me like you have a great plan. At first glance my only thought was to reduce the size of the horns on the buck decoy but you already have that covered. I would use both the buck AND the doe together in the rut scenario.

28-Jul-15
When I see this thread it immediately reminded me of how lucky I was to hunt with Bill Allard. In 6-8 days I learned more from him than I probably would have in 5 seasons on my own. It looks to me like you have the bases covered and the antelope rut was one of the neatest things I have ever witnessed.

28-Jul-15
Nice!

28-Jul-15
My first thought was, don't miss or you're gonna have some new holes in your garage door. My next thought was, no misses at that distance, but your nocks are in great danger ! :)

You did a great paint job on that target and looks like you have your bases covered ! What unit are you hunting Jake ? We'll be in 26 about the middle of September. Good luck to you !

28-Jul-15

28-Jul-15
Jake, i just bought a stabilizer mounted antelope decoy to aid in a spot and stalk situation. Your decoys look great.

28-Jul-15

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
I like your paint job Jake!. Looking good.

I'm getting ready as well. Pounding that foam at all ranges. Here's a 70 yard group that made me smile the other night'

28-Jul-15
Bowfreak,

Let's hope that BB adds his two cents!!

Drycreek,

I'll be in unit 21 from 9/17 - 9/21. FYI....I didn't actually shoot in the garage. It started to rain, so I put the decoy and target inside before pulling the arrows. That was my grouping at 25 yards...the nocks weren't in that much trouble....

Ermine,

By the time that we go on our hunts, we're gonna need to touch up our paint jobs!!

Richie,

I agree, those stabilizer mounted decoys are the bomb. I watched a mule deer video where a guy used a mule deer doe decoy on his stabilizer with ridiculous effectiveness. Who did you buy your stabilizer mounted pronghorn decoy from? Is it a buck or a doe?

On a related note, if someone wants to borrow my doe decoy for an August bowhunt, feel free to contact me....all I ask is that it be returned before September, when my hunt commences.

28-Jul-15
We have been shooting the bows boy is out there on vacation now going to meet up with outfitter and get some insight on his way home big bonous,

28-Jul-15
i bought a Heads Up buck decoy.

28-Jul-15
"i bought a Heads Up buck decoy."

Who makes them? I'd like to check them out....

28-Jul-15
Eliminate all of that stuff and just hunt spot and stalk.

28-Jul-15
Nick,

I have already hunted pronghorn using spot and stalk.

It was enjoyable....but I will also enjoy trying a new tactic (or combination thereof). Since I have never hunted antelope at a fence crossing, and I have never hunted the peak of the rut, my efforts are directed in a different direction.

I want to get some really good camera footage of my future hunts. I believe that the blind will give me a great opportunity to take Nancy along as my videographer, allowing me to get some great video footage, while also sharing the hunt with her.

28-Jul-15
Looks good Jake, you'll do fine...

28-Jul-15
I would love to see Bill chime in too but I am sure he is off taking pictures somewhere.

28-Jul-15
Jake nice work coys look good

28-Jul-15
Anticipation and preparation are some of the most enjoyable aspects of the hunt. IMO, you don't need to paint the blind. It's a flat object and there is no amount of blending in that will make it disappear. Also, don't be afraid to hunt your blind the first day if you set it up in the morning darkness and sit all day. But, if you have several days and multiple trail cameras bring them. This is a great way of finding the buck you want. You will also find out, the bucks will drink under the cover of darkness, especially when there's a full moon. There is no better way of pre scouting those crossings. If you have a half a dozen or more cameras and they're out for two days, you will know where to hunt.

28-Jul-15

cityhunter's embedded Photo
be the decoy !

28-Jul-15

its a blast but i had a problem couldn't stop laughing as lope reacted to my hat !! The Hat reminds me of the star trek episode when kirk fights the Gorn

28-Jul-15
Louis, did you kill that sucker with a hatchet ?

29-Jul-15
Jake, the heads up decoy is made by....drum roll.....Heads Up Decoy :)

29-Jul-15
Nick,

Thanks....I had searched under Heads up....but had not searched under Heads Up Decoy.

29-Jul-15
I HAVE BEEN LUCKY ENOUGH TO KILL 11 PRONGHORNS WITH MY BOW. I used home made decoys made out of Styrofoam back in the 70's. I found fence crossing were good but you failed to mention scrapes. Scrapes are usually almost anywhere on his daily route but most are not far from a fence crossing or on high points. One of their favorite places are in two track dirt roads. As a matter of fact this is a good way to see if a buck is in the area. In Arizona and New Mexico you don't have the antelope numbers that they have in Wyoming so using the above method to find a buck in a pasture is very productive. GOOD LUCK ; GOOD HUNTING

29-Jul-15
Don 2blade stinker hit him at 45yrds never found the arrow sailed out his butt he dropped in his tracks dead on impact yea frontal shots are no good :>

29-Jul-15
Lou- Your Canmore sheep pic is a classic, not so sure about this photo:)

29-Jul-15
Im in !!!!

29-Jul-15
Banter....you have to love it!!!

29-Jul-15

drycreek's embedded Photo
drycreek's embedded Photo
I've been practicing a little myself, but just out to 40 yards had my bow tuned last week when I replaced the peep and it's shooting a little better for me. You can get too good ya know ! When I saw my arrows wobble I aimed a little lower on the third shot, thinking I had torn a nock up. I wish, 10/12 $ down the drain !

29-Jul-15
Jake,

I know that a lope's #1 sense is sight. I also know that a recently position pop up blind on a waterhole can create caution and concern to a lope. Will recently placed & "painted" popup be too much for the animal's sight cautiousness and smell?

29-Jul-15
I leave next Friday, getting out there to find a good spot/scout. I'll have about 5 days to scout before the Saturday 8/15 opener. Hunt about 6/7 days. This will be my first pronghorn hunt. It be diy. I have 3 blinds to setup if needed. I see how the land lies to do any spot and stalks.. Ed

29-Jul-15
Drycreek, is that a woodpecker hole in your decoy?

29-Jul-15
Wishing you the best of luck Jake!

29-Jul-15
Paul i hope its a wood pecker hole and not some strange toy of his !!!

29-Jul-15

KTH's embedded Photo
KTH's embedded Photo
Well, I'm about to try this.

30-Jul-15
KTH,

Just don't burst into hysterical laughter as you are about to shoot, like Cityhunter did!!!

Teeton,

Please keep us posted as to your results and experiences!!

Buffalo1,

The blinds will be set up before the season opens, so the antelope can acclimate to them.

Heat,

Thanks for the well wishes.....

30-Jul-15
Greg,

BB told me that he never sets up an antelope blind with any regard to wind. He says that while they do smell you that they trust their eyes 100% and if their eyes give the OK, it is OK.

30-Jul-15
Jake, Last time I talked to Craig he said you were going to be at the TTT ranch the third week? If so, be careful wearing white, you may become a bucks wife! I thought about going that week again too, but rotator issues have stopped my fall prep stone cold. Anyway, if I went, I was going to pack a gillie. I'm not a big fan of blinds, but thought it would be fun to post up in a patch of sage and try an ambush. You will have a blast, have good guides, and eat too much. -Jim from Illinois

30-Jul-15
Following up on Bowfreak's comments concerning wind direction.

I use a Sage Scent one can purchase and spray it around the shooting windows so if my scent does head in the wrong direction, it will help mask my odor. It has worked for me.

My best, Paul

30-Jul-15
Rattles33,

PM sent.....

30-Jul-15
Paul in the past i have dug a hole and bombs away in the blind best cover scent its methane gas .

30-Jul-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
My goal starting Saturday morning!

30-Jul-15
Kyle thats a shooter nice best of luck

30-Jul-15
Thanks, Louis.

I haven't hunted antelope in quite a while, and while I have three with my bow, the biggest one is a tad short of 70." I'd like to get one considerably better and this buck would certainly qualify.

He's been coming in for a drink mid-morning every other day. But it's back to 100 degrees in the afternoons now, so he may start coming in every day. I hope so, because sitting in a blind in 100+ degree heat is not my idea of a good time.

If that darned feral horse fence you see doesn't get in the way of my arrow, hopefully I'll be able to put my tag on him.

30-Jul-15
Nvagvup,

Yup, that's what we are looking for!!

Did you take that photo with a lens, or is it from a trail camera?

30-Jul-15
Kyle strip down pack a cooler with ice and place wash cloth on head neck and organs I did NM it was 103 outside just my boxers on and boots . You guys have me wanting to get a tag and give chase !!

30-Jul-15

30-Jul-15
Louis,

I'm planning pretty much that. I'm bringing a small Playboy cooler and will fill it with ice, Gatorade and water every day. Then I'm packing a bladder to wet the wash cloth.

With luck, this will be a one or two day hunt and I'll be home before the weekend is over. (It's only a 2:30 drive.)

30-Jul-15
Jake,

Trail Cam.

30-Jul-15
You got any other photos of him (or other bucks) to share?

30-Jul-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Jake,

Just this one.

30-Jul-15
Paul-- Yes, that is a woodpecker hole. Got another in his throat, looks like Bigdan did a frontal with a Rage !

Louis-- What organ are you cooling in that blind and how long do you cool it ?

30-Jul-15
drycreek,

LOL!!

I was wondering that myself only I was afraid to ask!

30-Jul-15
next the bees will make a nest in your peckers hole!

30-Jul-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
As for preparation,

Yesterday I shot two broadheads in the center of the kill zone from 40 yards and quit. I can't improve on that and I didn't want to mess with my confidence.

This afternoon, same thing.

Confidence in your shooting is 90% of the deal. And so is the other 10%!

30-Jul-15

Ermine's embedded Photo
Ermine's embedded Photo
My other project. Cow decoy made from foam. Looks goofy. But might let me close the distance in an area that antelope see cows

30-Jul-15
Medicinemann, Will do.. Was thinking of doing a live hunt starting from the time I leave Pa in the rv all the way out to Wyoming. But I don't know how cell service will be in the area I'll be hunting in Wyoming for the important/fun part of the live hunt. Ed

31-Jul-15
NvaGvUp,

Looking forward to some pix from you tomorrow......regardless of outcome.....

31-Jul-15
Jake,

If that buck would be as kind as to come into the water in the morning, I could very well be home sometime tomorrow afternoon.

31-Jul-15
Is there cellular coverage where you'll be hunting?

If so, please post a photo or two throughout the day.....

31-Jul-15
That I don't know. Probably not, but it's worth a try.

31-Jul-15
Ermine, I would stick to making/painting pronghorn decoys. You said it, Goofy. I agree.

But, when using Goofy, do not go right at a pronghorn buck who might be bedded or solo.

Take lots of time to get close and cris- cross back and forth, moving slowly like a grazing cow. May take an hour or more.

I have the cow Montana blind and made the mistake of going right at the buck and moved too quickly. The buck became uneasy with the quick approach and got up and left.

Hope this might help. Paul

01-Aug-15
Kyle,

You probably been in the blind for at least an hour or two.....where's our update?...LOL

01-Aug-15
Jake i bet hes snoring :>

01-Aug-15
Fine, as long as he is already tagged out....LOL!!

01-Aug-15
Missed one. Arrow hit the fence rail. Nice buck but not THEE buck

01-Aug-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Setup

01-Aug-15
Thanks for the update!!!! Since you missed a nice buck, now THEE buck is still in trouble. How far was the shot?

I am hoping that we get an update from Zackman, too....(small hint, Zackman!!)

01-Aug-15

Medicinemann's Link
I plan on taking the gear that will allow me to do decoy hunt, blind hunt, spot and stalk hunt, etc. I'll see what mother nature gives me to work with, when I arrive in Wyoming, and plan accordingly. Being flexible with regards to various hunting techniques always seems to work well for me.

In the event that I am hunting from a blind, I have often wondered how many Bowsiters shoot through mesh, compared with how many Bowsiters roll up the mesh, eliminating any obstructions, and dress in black/darken their face.

Based on that curiosity, I recently found the attached article quite interesting....

01-Aug-15
Only saw the one buck, no does,. That should mean they'll drink tomorrow if it doesn't rain later today.

01-Aug-15
Good luck tomorrow Kyle!

02-Aug-15
Kyle,

Is the weather really hot where you are hunting?....or has there been recent rainfall? Good luck today....

02-Aug-15
Jake, I've done it both ways. Shoot through mesh all the time for deer and hogs, but I usually don't for pronghorn or turkey. With turkeys, I use a mechanical, and with pronghorns, I just sit back in the dark corner and draw when they aren't looking. The place we hunted last year and will hunt in September has lots of permanent blinds, so no mesh.

02-Aug-15
Jake,

It was 93 @ noon yesterday with a little bit of air moving. I was surprised I really didn't get even a little bit uncomfortable. The afternoon looked like it might rain, but none fell.

Today has been cloudy all day and when I left the blind @ 1:00 it was only 77.

Other than the buck I shot at yesterday morning, I haven't seen even one other antelope. It must be the weather has them bedded all day.

The forecast is now calling for daytime highs the rest of the week between 86 and 90. So sitting in the blind won't be uncomfortable at all. I'll try the same blind again tomorrow because that's where the BIG buck has been watering.

02-Aug-15
Thanks for the update.

Can they go without water that long?....or do you think that he watered elsewhere for the past day or two, and he just hasn't made the "rounds" back past you yet?

Did you sit all day yesterday? If not, did you check the trail camera? I wondered if he might have come in while you were away from the blind.....? Are you sitting the blind all day, and responding by phone....or are you back at camp now?

02-Aug-15
I didn't sit all day. None of the trail cams have shown ANY afternoon watering in several weeks, including yesterday afternoon on the trail cam at the blind I've been sitting. That's strange based on my experience.

They must be planning to mob my waterhole in the morning!

If not, Tuesday I'll move to another spot where four or five bucks have been watering regularly.

02-Aug-15
Might be different in different areas but in eastern Colorado I've had most watering action in the evening or right before dark. If your not sitting all day your missing out. I used to hunt just half days in the morning. But then caught on to some big bucks that would water right before dark. Now if I had a time to hunt during a day it would be evening.

I've also seen them go days without watering.

02-Aug-15
Ermine,

As I said, they are not watering at all in the afternoons or evenings. Multiple trail cams have been out for several weeks and not one of them shows even one goat coming in.

OTOH, I've hunted SE Wyoming three times and like you, have seen regular and significant watering in the evenings in particular.

02-Aug-15
oh gotcha. Must be a Colorado/WYoming thing.

03-Aug-15
Sunny this morning. Time for the goats to water!

03-Aug-15
Time for THEE buck to show up......

03-Aug-15
I'd just like to see A buck at this point

03-Aug-15

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
I took my weed whacker to one of the tanks I will be hunting and took the grass down to dirt. Last year I had a camera up for a month and never got and antelope photo. Wacked the high grass and bingo. I had between five and twenty goats drinking there every day. this deer was the first night photo.

03-Aug-15

Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
I'll be hunting a different species of Antelope!!! Good Luck Buddy!

03-Aug-15
Tim u look like Radar with them specs on :>

03-Aug-15
Sorry, but there is only one Radar on here....

03-Aug-15
BigDan,

Weed wacking a path to the water hole.........Dan, that is a damn good idea for water with high grass around it!!

03-Aug-15
I always carry a folding saw if I'll be sitting in a ground blind. It's very useful if you need to build a blind from limbs, etc. But mostly it gets used as a weed-whacker. It's not as fast but it's a lot easier to fit into your pack! Quieter, too!

Open it up and swing it like a scythe or machete. Works great!

03-Aug-15
Eight hours straight in the blind today and nary a goat was seen.

Tomorrow, a different water hole!

03-Aug-15

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Here is an antelope at the same spot

03-Aug-15

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Other animals like it too

03-Aug-15
Good idea Dan !

03-Aug-15
Kyle,

How many blinds (and trail cameras at those blinds) do you have set up?

06-Aug-15
I was wondering is anyone knew how Zackman did on his Nevada Pronghorn bowhunt? The season opened last weekend down there, and I was hoping for an update.....

06-Aug-15
Since early yesterday AM, I've been working on a buck that might be 'THEE' buck's older and bigger brother. He's an 82" buck and he spent almost four hours yesterday morning checking out the waterhole before he finally came in. But then, all he offered me was a sharply quartering to shot in a big wind!

He didn't come in today, but hopefully he will tomorrow.

06-Aug-15
Keep at it!!!

Did he happen to walk close enough to the trail camera to have his picture taken? I like to see a photo of a 82" pronghorn buck!!

06-Aug-15
Jake,

He did for sure. Yet the trail cam didn't get a photo of him, for whatever reason.

06-Aug-15
Good luck NavGvUp,, I leave tomorrow for my hunt. Was thinking of starting a thread on my hunt.. But I don't think I'll get cell service where I'll be hunti in Wy. Ed

06-Aug-15
Teeton,

Hopefully you'll be able to start a thread. Good luck either way.....

07-Aug-15
We're getting rained out!

In Nevada!

In August!

It's coming down in buckets!

07-Aug-15
Dang the luck!

At 6:10 this morning, a yearling buck came into the water and drank. At 6:25 AM. a doe came into the water.

So I'm thinking, "There's ~ 15 goats out there with two outstanding bucks and only one has had a drink in at least three days. This is the only water for 15 miles and they have no other option. This is going to be good!"

An hour later, unfortunately, a thunderstorm cell came in and it rained for an hour, torrentially or so for :10.

An hour later, we got Round Two of the thunderstorms. This one also lasted an hour, and while it did not rain in torrents for :10, it did rain heavily for :20. To make matters worse, at 11:00 it was only 63 degrees. As soon as the second cell hit, I knew I was screwed.

So I bailed and left as the second thunderstorm ended. More cells appeared to be forthcoming later in the day, so my plan is to go back later once things have dried out and the days are much warmer.

09-Aug-15
Well I made it to Wyoming. Start scouting tomorrow morning. In Laramie right now. Hunting about 2 hours from there. If i get cell service in or around the place I'm hunting. I'll start a thread on my hunt and how it's going. I'd like to thank Dan, Gary and Dave who helped me put this hunt together. Ed

09-Aug-15
Good luck Teeton !

09-Aug-15
keep us posted!!!

11-Aug-15
Are season starts on the 15th I have a few cameras out here is some action at one of my water holes

11-Aug-15
Are season starts on the 15th I have a few cameras out here is some action at one of my water holes

11-Aug-15

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo

11-Aug-15

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo

11-Aug-15

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo

11-Aug-15

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo

11-Aug-15

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo

11-Aug-15
do u have a pelican tag :>

12-Aug-15

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Here is a nice 80+ Nevada goat taken by Cole Eddie a few days ago

12-Aug-15
Pelican, ttaste likes chicken! :-)

Kyle going to get hot again, get back out there...

14-Aug-15
Ike,

I got back here yesterday evening and went out this morning only to find there must have been a pretty good thunderstorm during the night, as there were wet roads and lots of puddles in the area I'm hunting. Needless to say, nothing came into the drinker. RATS!

It is hot again today and I think the puddles will be gone before dark.

Hopefully tomorrow!

14-Aug-15
Atta baby, it'll happen...

15-Aug-15
Now that pronghorn season is open in several states, hopefully we'll have lots of photos and updates from Bowsite's Speedgoat bowhunters....I am still a month away from my Wyoming rut hunt for antelope, so I am living vicariously through others right now.....

15-Aug-15
I sat the blind this morning, again, and again I never saw a single goat.

No doubt the big buck will come I tomorrow when I'm not there.

15-Aug-15
Do you have a camera set-up on the water that you sat at today? Is there quite a bit of activity?

15-Aug-15
Jake,

The 82" buck came in right after daylight Wednesday AM.

I may go back the last two days if I can. The season ends on the 20th.

19-Aug-15

Bigdan's embedded Photo
Bigdan's embedded Photo
Jake this is another thing I find as a must have in my Blind. Its run on D cell battries.

19-Aug-15
I'm heading back out this afternoon to give it one more try. Tomorrow is the last day of the season.

19-Aug-15
82"!!!!! I saw several 80+" pronghorns at the P&Y convention this year.....incredible.....

19-Aug-15
82", but he's got to come in again and this time, he's got to offer me a shot!

19-Aug-15
This brings back memories of sitting in the hot shack in SE MT when it was 96 one year.....underwear and boots was it...forgot water that morning...yikes.

Good luck to all pronghorn hunters and keep the updates of each hunt rolling!

Mark

• Sitka Gear