AH 03-Aug-15
TrapperKayak 03-Aug-15
Ollie 03-Aug-15
Buffalo1 04-Aug-15
Rut Nut 04-Aug-15
Barty1970 04-Aug-15
cityhunter 04-Aug-15
30-Jul-15
I refuse to watch any news report on the lion deal. I know I am not going to get unbiased reporting. It no longer exists in mainstream news and probably even less so in second tier reporting. And that applies to both sides of the issue.

30-Jul-15
I haven't watched the news for years. "Mainstream" media and CNN give the left-handed slant, while FOX gives the right-handed slant. The truth normally lies somewhere in the middle.

IMO, those that watch the news are only looking for affirmation of their beliefs, not information. Although I'm pretty darn conservative on most matters, I eventually even got fed up with Fox.

30-Jul-15
wyo X2!

30-Jul-15
I made this same point on the "ashamed" post... I don't watch it anymore, have not for years... Media for me is sports talk radio, sports online updates, traffic and weather.. Even on here, I see so many diff posts about the lion story which I hardly know anything about. All I can glean so far is "he is a poacher that should be destroyed and we should disassociated from this monster" to "he is our brother, the facts are not out yet, we need to band together"...

If I somehow lose my right to bowhunt NJ whitetails over this - my bad for not caring... Otherwise I seriously could NOT care less and I mean that from bottom of my heart, and no disrespect to any of you.

I love to bowhunt when I can, love this site, and think y'all are terrific and appreciate all the great advice and knowledge share - but honestly, this seems like a huge over-reaction on every possible level.

30-Jul-15
I agree wholeheartedly Jack! I stopped reading the newspaper years ago and dont miss it. I don't watch news shows they are all trash in my opinion and are drama filled. I am involved with my family and enjoy sharing my passion for sports and the outdoors with them. I belong to sci, p&y and the NRA and leave it to them to look out for the sportsman's best interest. There are 3 sides to every story. The news report, the person involved and the truth somewhere in the middle IMHO! I have not followed the story as I don't believe the media.

30-Jul-15
Thanks for all the faith, guys. :-)

Been at it 34 years and can't remember botching any.

PETA thought I was out of my mind several times, and tried to get mass call ins and online comments on stories, but my editors confirmed they were accurate.

Jack - OHY at the over reaction comment! All the way around. Shoot, I've read stuff written by reporters who are known for their accuracy, who I respect, the the personal emotion shines through.

I can't believe their editors let it get to print.

31-Jul-15
The only reason to watch the national "news shows" is to stay abreast of the statists.

31-Jul-15
The only reason I watch the news is the weather girl

31-Jul-15
I can't watch the news. The sensationalist out of context reporting makes me so mad I can barely stand it. And then they assume I'm too dumb to understand it, so they bring in some one to "explain" it to me.

Driving cross country through the night with my buddy on an elk trip. I asked him if he'd get sleepy. He replied that he'd just listen to NPR, and he'd be too mad to fall asleep

Pretty much sums it up for me with any news

31-Jul-15
"The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence: From bondage to spiritual faith; From spiritual faith to great courage; From courage to liberty; From liberty to abundance; From abundance to selfishness; From selfishness to complacency; From complacency to apathy; From apathy to dependence; From dependence back into bondage."

I think we are currently towards the end of the "complacency to apathy" stage and closing in on dependence. And I'm just as guilty.

31-Jul-15
TV news is a joke but at least the hunting shows are worth watching.

31-Jul-15
I stopped watchI got the news back in my early 30's... 46 now. As others have said, it's always sensationalized and drama filled. Makes me ill.

31-Jul-15
I haven't found a hunting show worth watching either - Bou please enlighten me?!?

31-Jul-15
T Mac.....I believe the sarcasm was turned on high. :-)

31-Jul-15
"If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed." Mark Twain

Insert watch the news for read the newspaper. I haven't had TV in the last ten years. When I first got rid of TV I thought I'd be bored now I wonder if I had TV when I'd find time to watch it.

31-Jul-15
TMAC my favorite is drop zone. this theme song just gets me quivering from toe to temple when it comes on. Crank it up on the sound system and sit back for the best 30 minutes of TV since The Bill Cosby Show went off the air.

Welcome to the drop zone, got you in the crosshairs Once I pull this trigger, they're gonna haul you outta? here Hunting is a lifestyle, survival of the fittest We on a hunt, what you want, come on Now you in the drop zone Drop down, exhale, one shot, one kill We do it like this all day, drop zone y'all we don't play We chase them big old hogs, big trucks with old bird dogs It's all American to hunt and tote a gun

Climb up in that tree stand, got a muzzle loader in my hand Big buck walkin' into sight, game over drop zone good night We hunt them grizzly bears, kodiaks blacks and brown Wanna see where the drop zone is, follow them tracks to the edge of town That's where you'll find me, all my folks behind me We do it like every day, God bless the USA

No way we'll ever stop, we make that big game drop Outdoors is where we roll, now welcome to the drop zone Welcome to the drop zone, got you in the crosshairs Once I pull this trigger, they're gonna haul you outta? here Hunting is a lifestyle, survival of the fittest We on a hunt, what you want, come on Now you in the drop zone

Now if it flies it dies, that's geese ducks and dove Pheasants and quail yeah, huntin' is what we love We chase them thunder chickens, we make 'em strut and spit When they enter that drop zone baby, game over that's it Big bass, big bucks, big guns, get some

This is America and we don't ever run Been known to tree a coon or maybe grab a gator Support the NRA, what more do I need to say One shot, one kill, drop zone it's real Outdoors is where we roll, now welcome to the drop zone Welcome to the drop zone, got you in the crosshairs Once I pull this trigger, they're gonna haul you outta? here Hunting is a lifestyle, survival of the fittest We on a hunt, what you want, come on Now you in the drop zone

31-Jul-15
I ffffffffffeeeeeeeeeeeeelllll good!

31-Jul-15
Glad I have not seen that one. In fact, I have seen very few of the so-called hunting shows and don't plan to. I just can't stand the music. In all my years of hunting, I have never heard any of it in the woods.

31-Jul-15
Bou, please take your meds buddy ! We need you !

31-Jul-15
Sounds like a must see! And to think I've been missing it all this time, my life is so incomplete!

31-Jul-15
Bou you do need help.

03-Aug-15
I don't "watch" at all so I agree with you on this one.

03-Aug-15
My wife is quiet and observant.

One evening on our way home in my pickup truck, I said to her "I'd like to make it back in time for the news".

She said "why do you want to listen to the news when it always gets you upset?"

Good point.

And it's somewhat comforting to know that I'm not alone!

03-Aug-15

AH's Link
Only one news source worth reading "The Onion".

If you want to get real perspective the go there and search "lion".

03-Aug-15
Got rid of cable TV at home, we have only the UHF antenna, and rarely watch it there or anywhere else. Sports is it, that's all. Miss seeing Yankees daily on YES, but otherwise ok with biking, kayaking, running, swimming the dogs, and shooting. TV and esp. the news is all washed up for us. Active participation and not passive observation is where we are.

03-Aug-15
This has gone from being a news story to a mob lynching. At this point in time it is unlikely we will get any accurate information that has been properly vetted by those reporting.

04-Aug-15
I try to read and listen to every thing I can. The only way to beat an enemy is learn how they think and act.

Not reading or listening will not make the enemy go away.

How many problems have been solved through ignorance and lack of knowledge?

04-Aug-15
Exactly Buffalo. I haven't been searching these stories out, but when I see a piece or preview of a piece on the news or talk shows I will tune in just to see what they are spewing now.

Last night while channel surfing I saw a piece on Inside Edition and then later on (believe it or not) Dr. Drew. He had a "panel" of about 10 different people. One Peta(identified) another famous? lawyer that was an anti-hunter, one African American activist and a couple that appeared to be middle of the road types. Surpisingly, Cameron Haines was included by Skype. of course they basically shut him out or cut him off. He got a couple of sentences in, but was over-shadowed by the Anti's. Of course the PETA rep got most of the talking. She was spewing mis-information such as Lion meat is toxic to humans. WHAT????!!!! The inside edition piece actually talked about how popular it is becoming and showed a chef preparing and then a butcher eating it.

Of course both stories were full of inaccuracies. And the Inside Edition piece interviewed Bob Barker who called the hunters "cold blooded killers". Wish I had a nickel for every time I heard that one! ;-)

04-Aug-15
Bob Mugabe didn't say no to chowing down on some Zim fried lion at his 91st birthday bash, along with with elephant

04-Aug-15
MC bourapper in the house!!!!

• Sitka Gear