writer 10-Aug-15
writer 10-Aug-15
ToddT 10-Aug-15
Barty1970 12-Aug-15
bill brown 12-Aug-15
04-Aug-15

gobbler's Link

04-Aug-15
Sounds really bad for both Walt Palmer and Bowhunting, as they are again saying the Bow was used because it's a silent poaching weapon? I'm paraphrasing but that's my dad on it. Moat guys myself included Bowhunt for the challenge and ability to have closer encounters with wildlife. It is Zimbabwe and issuing a scathing report like this prior to a trail shows how bad it is over there as well.

04-Aug-15
"As we frantically try to protect our wildlife from organized gangs such as this one, there are people who command respect in the society such as Dr Walter James Palmer, a well known dentist and Theo Bronkhorst, an experienced licensed professional hunter who can connive to undermine Zimbabwean laws, international laws and CITES regulations. One can conclude with confidence that Dr Palmer being an American citizen had a well orchestrated agenda which would tarnish the image of Zimbabwe and further strain the relationship between Zimbabwe and the USA. This must be condemned in the strongest possible terms by all genuine animal loving conservationists who believe in sustainable utilization of natural resources. I take this opportunity, therefore to appeal to all conservationists, animal lovers and all institutions interested in the protection of wildlife biodiversity to come forward and assist the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority with resources to undertake its mandate effectively in areas such as game water management, antipoaching, road and fire guard maintenance, and transport. It is important that we all ensure that the Parks and Wildlife Management Authority is adequately resourced to conserve and protect our biodiversity from organized international poaching as happened in this case. Failure to adequately resource the Parks and Wildlife Management Authority can easily subject our antipoaching units to temptation from those offering huge financial rewards for illegal activities."

There is zero chance I ever plan a trip to Zimbabwe! Do you think they are looking for compensation with the last commentary? To me it reads, please fund us Animal Rights Groups and compensate us for our loss USA...

STAY AWAY

04-Aug-15
Looks like they are smart enough to use this incident for a fund raiser to me.

04-Aug-15
Still sounds BS. Palmer is a bowhunter, through and through. The statement that it was used as a "poaching" weapon because of it's silence is demonstrable BS. What is provable is he's used a bow on pretty much everything he has hunted.

Totally ignorant, knowing liar or both, take your pick. I think Pat called it on a post in another thread. Basically somebody got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. Now they are in CYA mode. As well as hoping somebody sends them some more money.

Basically, this is they guy with the spam email that is sending you some money to take care of for him.....

04-Aug-15

gobbler's Link

04-Aug-15
Just sent my email:

"I recently read your website posting regarding Cecil and I feel that this matter is being used to advance an anti-hunting agenda. I will no longer be planning a family trip to your wonderful country. The money that pours into your country from hunting is the most significant source of income that is used for preserving Zimbabwe's great heritage. The greatest motivation for preserving the land, wildlife and ecosystems comes directly from hunting and tourism.

Here in North America the deer, moose, elk and bears were almost exterminated at the turn of the century. The involvement of hunters; their money, hard work and desire to preserve wildlife for sustainable harvest, viewing and enjoyment was the single greatest reason that we have millions upon millions of these animals and hunting them generates BILLIONS of dollars for our economies.

I will gladly reconsider my future plans if Zimbabwe shows support for the many hunters who donate hundreds of millions to preserving African wildlife and provide such a great economic boost to your beautiful country

Regards,"

04-Aug-15
The U.S. couldn't honor any extradition of a U.S. citizen to a country with a human rights violation track record like Zimbabwe for anything less than something on the order of accused murder? I can see it now.... The judge deals his sentence. "You have the choice between death and bufu."

04-Aug-15
There is something about the way that letter is composed that doesn't sit right. Almost like it was composed by someone in the US. I could be underestimating the English vocabulary of a Zimbabwe National, but it it just doesn't seem right to me.

04-Aug-15
Zimbabwe is having the morning after remorse realizing that the golden goose of US hunters will not be laying eggs for them now...they're praying the anit's will be able to make up the funds that we put forth...not happening...anti's like to make noise but not writing checks.

04-Aug-15
Zimbabwe was formally Rhodesia before Mugabe's ZANU party revolt and had British influence. Maybe that has something to do with the language?? IDK

04-Aug-15

TD's Link
"violated section 123 of the Act which controls the use of bows and arrows in hunting.."

This says volumes. Parks and wildlife act referenced, section 123.

"123 Authorities, permits and licences (1) Any authority, permit or licence granted or issued by the Authority, a conservation committee or an appropriate authority in terms of this Act may be subject to such terms and conditions as the Authority, conservation committee or appropriate authority, as the case may be, may deem fit to impose. [Subsection amended by Act 19 of 2001]"

May deem fit to impose.

I saw nothing specific to bows and arrows in 123. Only that they can make any rules they want and you must have a permit for basically anything.

04-Aug-15

TD's Link
Bad link. We'll try this one....

04-Aug-15
Yeah, I'm convinced that the rules are changing mid game.

04-Aug-15

TD's Link
OK.... my last try.... Rats.

Nothing seems to link to PDFs. Sorry.

Google the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Act.

09-Aug-15
Buzzard, you made me laugh out loud bringing up that classic. "He choose death....... by bufu!"

09-Aug-15
So do we know if Mr Palmer ever knew he was doing something wrong, or is just getting thrown under the bus. His previous conviction of poaching here in the U.S. does not help him, but I'm still curios if he really thought this was a legal hunt or not, probably will never know

09-Aug-15
His conviction was not for poaching, he plead guilty to lying to a wildlife officer

10-Aug-15
Let's see, how likely is it that a successful experienced hunter like Walker who is planning to arrow a lion that will cost over $50K, would intentionally head over there knowing that he was getting himself into an illegal situation where major game violations were eminent?

I rather doubt he was fully cognizant of the actual details regarding the PH and landowner's options for actually getting him that lion. I have no idea when or if he became cognizant while he was on the actual hunt, but at some point he should have concluded that something was not right. If he simply overlooked this, than IMO he carries responsibility for continuing to participate.

I certainly do not profess to know all the facts around this and I doubt anyone in these discussions really does. However, it's a sad day for bowhunting none the less. One thing is for sure to me though, it's to boycott Zimbabwe.

10-Aug-15
You guys did see they've opened back up some of the hunting, with some more regs in place?

10-Aug-15

writer's Link

10-Aug-15
AZ-rich is spot on. I had not thought of it in that respect, only that when hunting in Africa, I rarely knew who's property I was on, or what permits I/we had.

But with the perspective of the money issue, why would anyone in there right mind, knowingly go on a $50,000 hunt, knowing full well it was illegal? Seriously, for the amount of money I am certain he paid, I am absolutely sure that he would have had numerous options.

Had the deal been, you can shoot a lion for a couple thousand, but you can't tell anyone, then, it would have made sense. But not this.

I still think that even if a law, or laws were broken, Palmer had no knowledge of what was occurring.

Even with that said, I agree that if he knowingly did break the law he should be penalized. However, IF, he did break the law, but had no reason to believe that his actions were illegal, should he still be punished???

Personally, no matter the outcome, I think this man has been punished quiet severely already, which is even more sad if he was truly innocent of willingly participating in an illegal activity.

12-Aug-15
This is Mugabe's Zimbabwe. All bets are off.

All the goons in his government are waiting and planning for when 'the old man' dies...if you think it's bad now, just wait

12-Aug-15
Go to Zimbabwe? You got to be kidding.

• Sitka Gear