Bohunner 13-Aug-15
Bushwacker 13-Aug-15
wcbarker 14-Aug-15
cowboyed 17-Aug-15
High Desert 18-Aug-15
PAstringking 18-Aug-15
Bushwacker 18-Aug-15
11-Aug-15
A couple of you have already reached out to me with info and I appreciate that, I'm finding that it's a lot to take in for a newbie to Africa. But I'm in the beginning stages of planning for this trip, which is for my daughter. She's currently 14, so this will be taking place in three years (2018). Her goal and main reason for this trip is that she wants to take a really nice Kudu. That is our primary animal, all others would be icing on the cake. But if we fail to put her on a good Kudu, then we will have missed the mark so to speak. My question to all you veterans of Africa is this: Where would you recommend? Obviously a place with a high percent of success for Kudu. RSA, Namibia,??? Outfitter/Safari??? Limcroma comes highly recommended and it's at the top of our list, but since it's so early in the planning, I'd hate to rule out other destinations. She will have a say in the location and she has asked me to give her plenty of options. Thanks

11-Aug-15
Many will disagree with me on this. (Again :))

I would suggest you go on a hunt. By that I am saying I would not travel around the world and sit in a porta pottie and take pot shots. (No pun intended)

So much to see in Africa and so little can be seen just sitting day after day in the same spot. I would prefer to drive and walk around and not hunt in preference to sitting water or bait.

Namibia would be high on my list. RSA gets a lot of traffic. Sort of a tourist trap but still much ranch type opportunity. Mozambique has good opportunity on Kudu and many other animals but trophy quality for some reason seems to be generally low. Zim is a mess politically, even by African standards. Tanzania is expensive. Other areas are not as safe for travel, more so with females in the group.

11-Aug-15
What ever you do, Before you shoot anything, make sure it doesn't have a name!

11-Aug-15
Namibia has good kudu and has a better reputation for safety.

11-Aug-15
"""By that I am saying I would not travel around the world and sit in a porta pottie and take pot shots"""

Ya these are the types of comments we really need on the African site in lite of what has gone on.

Anti's love it,,,, hunters thrashing hunters.

Bushwacker... I'm leaving shortly for 2 weeks to Kudu hunt among other animals. I will let you know how it was where I'm going.

11-Aug-15

Quinn @work's embedded Photo
Quinn @work's embedded Photo

Quinn @work's Link
I would highly recommend going to Cheetah Safaris if you want a TROPHY kudu.

My hunt was booked through Bowhunting Safari Consultants. I saw 40-60 kudu bulls a day and was passing on 57"+ bulls everyday because my guide said we could do better. I ended up shooting a 62" bull that was scored as #8 in SCI with a bow. If you want numerous opportunities at 55"+ bulls I'd book with them. They also have great bush buck, zebra, waterbuck, impala and blue wildebeest. Lodging and food was awesome.

Since I hunted with them they have now expanded their hunting ground to 75,000 acres inside 1 fence according to their website.

12-Aug-15
Bushwacker,

IMHO you are going to find the biggest and highest concentration of large kudu in the Limpopo Prov. in RSA. They are larger than the Cape Kudu found in the southern part of the country. I've never been to Namibia though. But...in four trips to the Limpopo area I have seen some hum dinger kudu and shot a nice one as well.

There are several safari companies that are Bowsite sponsors that operate in that region. Personally, I have been with both Ken Moody ('07) and Dries Visser ('11.'14) and neither will steer you wrong.

And don't listen to the crap slinging people that like to the jump on the Africa forum and talk about hunting in RSA when they are completely clueless. Just go and have a great time.

12-Aug-15
have you considered any of the exotic ranches in TX. There have some big ones and they are hunted the same way there as in Africa so you can save on costs and travel time.

12-Aug-15
Peyton + 1 on crap slinging,,,, I'm going to Limpopo first time. Looks like it hot there now,,,, good for water holes.

12-Aug-15

Toby's embedded Photo
Toby's embedded Photo
Melorani, Limcroma, Thesepe all in SA have a good kudu population and offer a great services

12-Aug-15
R. Hale, I am glad to see someone make this comment on here. In the old days (and in the opinion of some PHs today), it was considered unethical to hunt at a pan.

I agree. To experience Africa, one needs to get out and see the country. If you can find a reasonable free-range hunt over a ranch hunt, do it. Don't hesitate to take a rifle with you. I know Namibia has some good free-range areas.

12-Aug-15
yes go to Texas and shoot A 42" KUDU BULL FOR $15,000. you are really saving money. Forrest

12-Aug-15
I would agree with the Limpopo province of RSA.

I am and always have been a little leery of places where you can sit in a blind and see 50-60 Kudu in a day...and many of them being big bulls. Just a personal preference of mine but I wanted to hunt them in the mountains. I chose to hunt in the Waterberg mountains where it is similar to hunting elk here in the states.

12-Aug-15
In general, you are not hunting free-roaming animals. You are hunting fenced wildlife preserves. The quality of the hunting and size of the animals will vary from ranch to ranch based on the management practices of each ranch.

12-Aug-15
Bushwacker- some great suggestions here, Quinn's suggestion is probably the best we also found for Kudu. We went someplace else just because my dad had hunted in Namibia and was after a few select species.

If your daughter is bowhunting the RSA thing out of blinds is the way to go to control the shot, etc...

If she is using a firearm, then maybe a ranch hunt is not the way for you to go with her.

Most of these guys bashing African hunting and blinds, bait, etc... have likely never gone and don't really have any clue.

To me, the experience on the large concession we hunted was very similar to much of the North American bowhunting we do- hunting over a waterhole, ambush spot for elk, etc... Biggest difference is the quantity of species and number of animals you encounter.

12-Aug-15
X2 MathewsMan. I just returned from Africa(hunted with Limcroma) and had plenty of animals that were very weary of the blinds and waterholes. It was not shooting fish in a barrel. Zebra, Waterbuck, Kudu and Gemsbok were all skittish coming in. Reminded me of Pronghorn hunting in the west. Go experience the trip with an open mind and most of all have fun.

12-Aug-15
Mathews Man,

Not sure who you are referring to "Most of these guys bashing...... and don't have a clue."

You might want to fact check that, if facts concern you. If not, carry on.

Note: I am not stipulating to the statement that I was bashing. I simply stated that there is far more to be seen in the fantastic landscape of Africa than can be seen from a porta pottie.

12-Aug-15
Yeah Mathews Man, never been.

Trip 1 Okavango Delta and Kalahari in Botswana (when it was open to hunting--Okavango is the Garden of Eden, I swear)

Trip 2 Zimbabwe

Trip 3 Zimbabwe

Trip 4 Tanzania (just got back)

No fences, no blinds (except for cats and crocs, obviously)

R. Hale and I don't know squat.

Hunt the real, free-range Africa while you still can. It's changing in a bad way, folks. When Africa goes to ranch hunts as the only way to do it, I'm done.

12-Aug-15
Silly me, Bush, when you asked "where would you recommend,?" I thought you were asking, "where would you recommend?"

Look, you're saving up to take your teen-aged daughter on a great trip.

If she wants to shoot one in a pen the size of my backyard, DO IT! Certainly not for me, but I am just me.

You're lucky to have a daughter who wants to go, and she's lucky to have a dad who's willing to scrimp and save, and plan and plan, and put her needs before his own. Pretty danged rare these days.

Do what you want and have a great time. Shoot, for a man like you just getting a chance to spend that kind of time with your daughter insures you'll have a great time.

BTDT, no regrets.

12-Aug-15
Please, no slinging on my account, so can we keep it civil please? I just wanted advice so I could help plan the trip so that she has a high percent chance of taking a good, quality Kudu with her bow. I've hunted Texas all my life, made one trip to Kansas for deer and another to Wyoming for antelope, all with a bow. I know there are Kudu here in Texas and YES, they are very expensive. For the price, I'd rather experience Africa, see the BIG 5, pet a cheetah, and just enjoy the experience of going to AFRICA with my daughter. How cool is that! I welcome any input, not only as to where you believe the Kudu are, but tell me why the trip to that location would make you want to go back a second time. Hunting trips, for us, aren't just about the taking of a nice animal, that is the ultimate purpose for going, yes, but it's truly only a small part of it. The trip should be about the overall experience. Dad and daughter, both going to Africa for the first time, wanting to experience Africa as much as we can within in a few days, and hopefully take a picture of her with her trophy Kudu. For those that mentioned outfitters/safaris, I will reach out to them. Like I said, Limcroma comes highly regarded, but we just want to explore the options and I thought what better way than ask you guys that have been there, done that. If I were hunting by myself, I'd be open to the spot and stalk method, but it will be the two of us hunting together, with a PH, and with bows, so the traditional style of African stand hunting will be fine for us. So thanks and I appreciate the help.

12-Aug-15
And Quinn, AWESOME Kudu, she and I both would be happy hunters if that rascal stepped in front of us. That guy is huge!

12-Aug-15
Bushwacker, I leave in two days for Melorani Safaris in Limpopo, SA. I'm mainly looking for a big Gemsbuck on this trip having shot a kudu my first time to SA with another company(no longer in business). I booked this trip thru Neil Summers at Bowhunting Safaris Consultants. Tell him your looking for a big kudu and he can tell you which place fits your needs. What I like about BSC is that they hold all your money until the trip and then send it to the safari co. Also they will hold your trophy fees so you don't have to take a lot of cash over there. You send BSC what you think you'll spend and when you come back they send the money owed the safari co. and refund back to you any that is left or if you spend more then you planned just BSC the remainder. This way all the money stays in the U.S. until you spend it and saves a lot of hassle. Jerry

12-Aug-15

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Be nice to know where this guy is at. Definately score well.

12-Aug-15
Many PHs will tell you that the genetics are exceptional for Southern Kudu in and around the Waterberg Mts of Limpopo province. Some of the largest horns/specimens have been taken from that area. As a result, there are farms in that area which specialize in kudu of the 58-65" class, but you will pay much more for one of them. Ask your PH/safari operator or Neil Summers for other options also.

13-Aug-15
Eastern Cape RSA

13-Aug-15
how much more would a 60" model cost as opposed to say a 54" version?

13-Aug-15
I didn't take R.Hales comment as bashing, rather good advice. And it isn't to say that hunting over a waterhole is like shooting fish in a barrel. As a matter of fact, most animals that come to a waterhole will be a bundle of nerves. But after traveling half way around the world, I believe you would get more enjoyment from seeing as much as you can see, rather than sitting and watching one small parcel of ground. Just my thoughts. When I hunt Africa, I hunt from a blind with my bow,but take the rifle for safari style spot and stalk.

Lots of good advice here, and one critical thing I would take away is, traveling with a young lady,I would probably stick with SA or Namibia.

Good luck, you both will love it.

13-Aug-15
Hand down it's Namibia: www.mopani-safaris.com

13-Aug-15
It's the smart ass answers that get to me. The guy came on here asking a simple question about where to go and some people always feel the need to take their shots. It's ridiculous.

It sounds like you are planning a great family trip with some hunting thrown in which IMO is a great way to see Southern Africa. I promise you will have a great time. Just take lots of pictures and video.

13-Aug-15
Bushwacker, in RSA and Namibia there are plenty of Kudu in most areas so opportunities are bountiful with just about every operation. Most first time hunters are happy with something around or over the 50" mark. That is generally a very reasonable expectation. Kudu above 55" are like looking for that 170 class whitetail and over 60" is comparible with finding a 190 class whitetail. Hunting Kudu via spot and stalk is a pretty daunting feat in their environment and as expected the vast majority of bowhunters with limited time end up taking theirs out of a blind. Nothing wrong with that and your daughter will have the time of her life doing it. Sounds like you want to see some of "real" Africa in addition, so plan to spend a couple days in either Kruger in RSA or Etoshia in Namibia. Or if possible, another cool option would be to visit the Okevango Delta in Botswana. If Kudu is all she and possibly you are after, then you should be able to get that opportunity on a 5 day hunt with most of the popular safari operations posted on here frequently. It will be memorable and really fun experience I am sure.

13-Aug-15

TradbowBob's embedded Photo
TradbowBob's embedded Photo
Well, this guy was 54", and I got him with Tshepe Safari's in South Africa. I booked through Bowhunting Safari Consultants. They know Africa and can help you get into the kind of hunt you want. If you want to do the ranch thing, they have that. If you want S&S, they will sen you elsewhere.

I took my 14 year old son with me and he shot 3 critters. Yes it was expensive, but the memories are priceless.

TBB

13-Aug-15
Thanks for the info everyone, I am trying to absorb it all. For a first timer to Africa, there is a lot to learn, a lot to prepare for, and I'm happy to get all of the advice I can get.

13-Aug-15
If you ever want any private advice off the forum don't hesitate to ask. Planning is a lot of fun!

13-Aug-15

Bohunner's embedded Photo
Bohunner's embedded Photo
Englebrecht Safaris in Namibia. I saw bigger much bigger than I shot. Didn't get one of the 60+ guys close enough to my porta potty. This was a good representative and the method was what I and the game laws considered fair and legal. A true trophy.

13-Aug-15
Great Kudu Bohunner, I will research Englebrecht. Thanks

14-Aug-15
Try to get a tree stand up much better view and animals don't seem to mind much. I did it when I went over there with Zingali safaris.

17-Aug-15
Limcroma Safaris comes highly recommended for a reason. Quantity and quality of game is outstanding and they hunt on many very large concessions where you will never see a fence. I believe the total acres they hunt is now over 200 thousand acres. And you can hunt however you like. Spot & Stalk, Elevated Hides and Treestands, Dugout blinds and you can night hunt for certain species. Just as important is the experience you will get there. Hannes and everyone there will treat you like family and provide you with the experience of a lifetime.

18-Aug-15
As a general rule, it is easier to find outfits in Namibia that are not high fenced, if that is a consideration for you. One thing that has not been mentioned is that kudu populations can be affected by rabies and prolonged drought. You should inquire of whatever outfit you are considering whether the local kudu population has been affected. You can also ask about the size of the area and the number of hunters each year which may provide some indication of whether it is a put and take operation. You also may want to ask about whether other hunters or wildlife viewers will be in camp at the same time as you. You can also ask about whether hunting during the full moon or new moon makes a difference. Aside from what recommendations you get here, you can check hundreds of Africa hunt reports on accuratereloading.com. You can also get some advice on how to field judge the maturity of a kudu bull.

18-Aug-15
By the way...just so you are aware...I have seen Kudu jump high fences on a dead run. But yes there are fences in all of South Africa.

I just hunted the Waterberg mountains in SA for Kudu and passed on many many bulls over 50". I was looking for something specific.

I always was looking to hunt them as close to free ranging as possible... I didnt want a truck showing up 10 days before my hunt to drop off a bunch of 55"+ Kudu.

But hey...to each their own.

18-Aug-15
Thanks again for the continued input. I have heard of the rabies issues in Namibia, and it seems to be in specific areas from what people are telling me. And again, we are going in 2018, so it may or may not affect our hunt if we decide to go to Namibia. I'm still researching as much as I can and trying to sort it all out.

• Sitka Gear