BB 18-Aug-15
BB 18-Aug-15
HockeyDad 18-Aug-15
cityhunter 18-Aug-15
Fulldraw1972 18-Aug-15
16-Aug-15

HockeyDad's embedded Photo
After 4 years of accumulating points it was finally the year to hunt antelope in Wyoming with BB, Mace, Brenda and Shane. After reading so much about this hunt over the years I was really excited and looking forward to it.

Thursday was crazy with a medical emergency with one of my bird dogs and packing. With the dog stable and fever back into a non critical range, I hit the road at 3am friday morning.

Many highway miles later, I finally met up with the crew and we spent the day checking out the blinds.

Sorry for the photo quality, and my primary camera was inadvertently left charging on the table!!!

16-Aug-15

Saturday morning came quickly. During the night I woke up to the brilliant 10 minute display of the tail end of the recent meteor shower. The night sky in the middle of nowhere is truly amazing, to add in 15-20 falling stars in 10 minutes tracing across the milky way was something to remember. And dont ever forget to wish upon a falling star!

A 30 minute drive to the blind in the morning, I climbed in and was met with my view for the day.

A nice little water hole on top of a big flat.

16-Aug-15

The first 2 hours was met with a constant parade of Sage hens, prairie dogs, a few raptors and rabbits. Was even visited by a couple of other hunters.

16-Aug-15
This oughta be good....!!!

16-Aug-15

Shortly after, a doe an fawn appeared on the horizon. They came into the water hole on a string and hung around for 5-10 minutes. This provided me a few opportunities to draw the bow and watch.

My daughter is heading off to college tuesday morning. I was hoping I could get back home before she had to head off. That meant I wasn't holding out for a big one, but I was going to shoot the first reasonable buck that came in.

The day before we had seen around 8-12 different bucks with a mile or so of this water hole. Nothing huge, but a few reasonable bucks.

16-Aug-15
Good stuff! More please!

16-Aug-15

I watched the doe and fawn head off over the horizon. The fawn was feeling good after a nice drink and was bouncing and bucking around the sage.

Before I could even set my bow down, I caught more movement at the far right of the pond. Coming in to the one spot that I didn't have a good shot was a nice wide spread buck.

Although he was a little short, he looked heavy. He quickly passed my 'dont pass up on the first day a buck you'd be happy to take on the last'.

I only had 2 problems. He was facing me and I needed to schooch around in order to get a shot. I was able to move around far enough for the shot and drew the bow while he was drinking (Thanks for that tip shane!).

I was hoping he would turn broadside, but after what seemed like eternity he never got broadside, but he did give me a reasonable frontal shot. Finally, he brought his head back up and "brought the peep in alignment" settled the pin and let the arrow fly.

He bounded out of the water and stood at about 70 yards, I could see the blood pouring out of his body and expected him to topple over right there, but he didn't.

He was hit hard, but he hadn't fallen, so at a range of 72 yards I let loose another arrow to try and seal the deal. That arrow hit with a loud crack and he walked away slowly. Bringing up the binos I could see he was still bleeding a ton, and he was carrying one of his front legs.

Again I expected him to drop at any instant, but he walked off parallel to the blind and bedded at about 80 yards from the blind.

You can sort of see him bedded down in this picture, I was looking out the small portal window on the side of the blind.

16-Aug-15

I knew he was hit hard and couldn't believe he wasn't down for good. The last thing I wanted to do was get out and push him. So the waiting game began, and 'rethinking' the shot over and over again. The exit wound in the belly is where I expected the arrow to come out, and he had bleed well.

Revisualizing the shot, I remember the arrow was a little to the right, but nothing significant. All I could think of was that in the heat of the moment I had pushed the release into my face to get the right alignment instead of letting it free float. I had also been twisted in the blind to get around enough to clear the edge of the blind. I had also been at full draw for 45-75 seconds. Couple that with antelope are quick and a lot can happen between release an impact.

My thoughts were all over the board, but a quick look out the blind I could see the bucks head getting lower and lower.

Finally, there was a few kicks and he was down for good. My first archery antelope was down for good.

16-Aug-15
After some pictures and a quick quartering job he was on ice and I was back in camp by noon on opening day!

Although he is just an average buck for the area, he had a lot of unique features. Looking at his teeth he was most likely an older buck. He was quite stocky and muscular for an antelope. Although he didn't have really good prongs, his heavy bases and wide spread were more than I could have asked for. To top it off he had several 'burr prongs' on each horn as well.

I can't thank Bill and Shane enough for their hospitality and advice. As well I wish Mace and Brenda good luck for the remainder of their hunt. I'd share a camp with this group of folks anywhere/anytime. Sitting around listening to their stories was a great way to spend time.

I was originally going to stick around camp for another day for moral support, but at dinner everyone agreed that I should head home in the morning to spend some time with my daughter before she heads off to college tuesday morning!

So next time you see a falling star, don't forget to wish. When you see multiple, keep wishing!! I got my decent buck and I get to spend all of Monday with my daughter.

There are still a few unfulfilled wishes that Brenda, Mace and Shane need to cash in!

16-Aug-15
Congrats to you ! I believe you are the first to write up your kill, but I may have missed someone's. Good goat too ! Thanks for sharing your story !

16-Aug-15
Oh - Forgot to add. My initial shot was slightly to the right. Although it didn't connect directly with any one organ, it did come in contact with several organs and the razor sharp VPA broadheads did their job and caused significant blood loss. Spend the time to get your broadheads hair shaving sharp.

The second broad head didn't connect with any organs. It completely broke the front shank leg bone and went through the brisket of the goat. 2" higher and it would have caught the heart. With a wounded animal standing still, a 72 yard follow up shot is worth a try,and the broad head performance was impressive. The only damage was to the very tip of the broad head, and it still spins. It has earned a spot as a permanent practice arrow.

I can say with a good deal of certainty that my old broadhead wouldn't have inflicted the damage the VPA did on the initial shot. And, it most defiantly would not have busted clean through a front leg bone at 72 yards.

16-Aug-15
Thanks Drycreek!

16-Aug-15
Nice goat! Congrats

17-Aug-15
Great story. Congrats on your first pronghorn! Very nice!

17-Aug-15
my chance comes sept 4,cant wait

17-Aug-15
Nice goat! Congrats

17-Aug-15
Congrats on your goat! I was hoping to see some pronghorn success pictures soon. Way to go!

17-Aug-15
Congrats on a great goat and I am glad you were able to spend time at a real cool waterhole. Goats are a blast!

17-Aug-15
Congrats

17-Aug-15
Well Done!!!!!

17-Aug-15
Very cool! Thanks for the writeup

Bake

17-Aug-15
Congratulations!

17-Aug-15
...and so begins the 2015 hunting season!!!

Well done!!

17-Aug-15
Very Nice! congrats!

17-Aug-15
Nicely done, thanks for documenting the story!

Someday I'll get there!

Best of Luck, Jeff

17-Aug-15
Well done!

17-Aug-15
Great job....Congrats!

17-Aug-15
awesome

17-Aug-15
Congratulation!

I know you couldn't have been in camp with a better bunch of guys.

17-Aug-15
Great hunt, congratulations. Next August I hope to be back in Wyoming too.

17-Aug-15
hows the dog ? congrats

17-Aug-15
Dog is doing fine, back to normal self today. Fever was 105.5 and the white/red blood cells were out of whack. Tick test will be back wednesday as it may be a tick borne illness. otherwise it's "Fever of unknown origin"

17-Aug-15
Always a treat to spend time in camp with BB! You did well! C

17-Aug-15
Great recording of your adventure. Thanks for sharing with us. That is a beautiful trophy. Congrats !!

17-Aug-15
Grats

Fracturing the humerus at 72 yards is pretty impressive. What's your bow, draw wt, and draw length and total arrow wt?

17-Aug-15

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Great time Rod, great shot you made, on a great antelope. We all had a great time.

I hope you have many more great bow hunts. BB

17-Aug-15
Congrats on a fine buck.

18-Aug-15
idllywildarchery-

Shooting a Mathews Z7 at 70# 28" draw. Arrow is a GoldTip velocity Pro with a 125 gr VPA custom head on the front. Total arrow weight is 420gr at about 275fps.

I was totally impressed with the performance of the arrow as well - on both shots. I must have hit the bone square on, and literally did shatter it, then went through the brisket. Only damage to the BH was a slightly bent tip. It still spins well so it will be a practice BH for now.

Basically the broadhead is a 150grain solid blade VPA that has been vented to get it to 125gr. Ray suggested it when I was having a slight tunning issue with the shorter 125's, The benefit is the blade angle is a lot shallower, and the BH is a bit longer. It gives a lot more penetration due to the shallower blade angle plus a little more blade length.

18-Aug-15

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
While sitting in a blind with my good friend Shane, we watched over 50 sage grouse come in and water. Here's a shot of a couple of them flying away, after getting their fill.

18-Aug-15

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
I have been photographing antelope for many years and have seen hundreds upon hundreds of them, but I don't think I have ever seen a buck antelope as good looking as this buck.

I have seen many that were much larger and many that were his size and many smaller, but none as genuinely pretty as this guy.

His blacks were so black and his whites so white and his coat so groomed and clean. And never have I seen a cheek patch as large as his and that, together with all the other stuff I mentioned and his black face, made him simply gorgeous to me.

Can anyone else see his superb beauty!

Have a great bow hunt. BB

18-Aug-15
Wow Bill, he is a good looking one like you said. Looks like he spent too much time in front of the mirror before heading to the waterhole that day.

Even look at the extra black outlining his ears.

IdyllWildArcher - I think it was the radius bone that the VPA shattered. if you look at BB's picture above, the BH would have hit in the first sunny part of the leg (right where the sun/shade line makes a inverted V ) then it went through the brisket behind it. Still impressed the crap outta me on how it went through the bone and still had energy to keep going.

I attribute it to 2 things - a good balance of speed and weight, plus well tuned arrow flight.

18-Aug-15
Ike lope bones are easy to break ,Very light in order to gain them high speeds.

HOCKEYDAD sounds like the dog has anaplasmosis from a tic

18-Aug-15
Congrats on the buck and a great trip.

VPA heads are a great head. Very tuff indeed. Interesting on the vented 125. I will have to look at them.

• Sitka Gear