INbowdude 30-Aug-15
Zbone 30-Aug-15
1Arrow 30-Aug-15
INbowdude 30-Aug-15
switchback33 01-Sep-15
Genesis 01-Sep-15
INbowdude 01-Sep-15
19-Aug-15
I shoot a cape buffalo 4 years ago with a 80 lbs bow, but now i wonder if 70 lbs will be enough for one of this great animals.

19-Aug-15
With all of the improvements in technology, I'll bet that there are 70# bows that are generating the required KE.

19-Aug-15
What are some KE numbers required for Buffs? I know my 70 lb bow kicks out 96 lbs KE with a 500 grain arrow. Jumping to 800 grains that number should go up some more. Toby do you know what your 80 lb limbs produced?

19-Aug-15
I had a friend who shot one with a 70# recurve, so your mechanical bow will probably do the job.

Good luck.

TBB

19-Aug-15
I watched Vicki Ciancarulo shoot one this morning with a 70 lb bow.

19-Aug-15
Going from 500 gr to 800 gr you will most likely lose KE but gain momentum or loss of speed alone will kill KE. You need to find the sweet spot or the point of diminished returns when it comes to heavy gear.

19-Aug-15

INbowdude's embedded Photo
I shot mine with a bow set at 72 pounds and an arrow weight of 980 grains (aluminum sleeved into aluminum). 31 inch arrow with solid 2 blade broadhead. Broadside shot at 26 yards and penetrated 26 inches.

It can be done.

Picture is BC (Before Cecil)

19-Aug-15

Bear Track's Link
Been my dream all my life. Please make sure you give us a great story when you get back.

19-Aug-15
"BC (Before Cecil)"...Too funny...8^)))

Always thought it meant, "Before Compounds"...8^)

19-Aug-15
70lbs 6" brace height bow will shoot as fast as a 80 pound 7" brace height bow, and they shoot just as nice if not better

25-Aug-15
70lbs is more than enough, shot placement, 800gr arrow and a good two blade broad head like the Grizley Stick 310gr, you are good to go!! Ive killed two giraffe bulls last year with a 70lbs setup arrow total weight 820gr, both two big bulls, arrow completely disappeared into them!!

25-Aug-15
African Barefoot, what is your preferred shot placement on giraffe... frontal?

25-Aug-15
If you are confident in your shooting, YES! Whats good with shooting them frontal is, there are no bones there only skin and flesh.. and the kill zone is about the size of a Rugby ball. With a broadside shot you have that ribs to go through..

25-Aug-15
African Barefoot Saf - Curious if you shoot stickbow or compound?

For those interested, do internet search on Dr. Ashby Report where he test setups on dead buffalos, including testing with a 40# stickbow and 2 blade single bevel broadheads... Although long it's an interesting read and very enlightening...

25-Aug-15
Thanks a lot Seems like my Hoyt carbon Spider could do the job. Just need to pick the right arrow and broadhead

25-Aug-15

cityhunter's embedded Photo

25-Aug-15

my bow packs punch at 72lbs but i would up the pounds and lower the letoff i want to go deep

26-Aug-15
ZBone, Im shooting compound but I have done it with Clients and Sticks as well... I just love the old tradisional guys and their sticks, its just the passion they have for bow hunting!! I can tell you the Impala is a lot harder to kill with a Stick Bow than a Buffalo, just because of their speed on a string jump..

26-Aug-15
I believe Fred Bear shot his w/a 70lb Recurve. I think you'll be OK.

28-Aug-15
some countries have minimums for Cape Buff...Check with them and BSC ! 84 to 90 KE is usually the recd KE.

29-Aug-15

1Arrow's embedded Photo
1Arrow's embedded Photo
70 lbs with the right arrow and you are fine. I shot my Cape Buffalo with a 70 lb 2014 PSE DNA using a Grizzly Stik Safari arrow and 315 Ashby single bevel two blade broadhead. Total arrow weight was around 960 grains. Footpounds was 88. Pushed that fat arrow at 206 fps. Look for the artical Zbone mentioned that Dr. Ashby wrote on penetration from Alaska Bowhunters Supply. I had read that too before my hunt and used it to make my setup selection. Long read but interesting. I just uploaded the harvest video of my cape buffalo if you want to check that out. It should be posted on BTV in a day or so. Here is his pic. Also BC (Before Cecil). Good luck on your hunt.

29-Aug-15
Mike any more pics thats a nice looking buff

29-Aug-15
1Arrow,that's a nice buff.

Louis, I'll try to post a few tomorrow. Thanks

30-Aug-15

30-Aug-15

30-Aug-15

30-Aug-15
AXE MAN - "some countries have minimums for Cape Buff...Check with them and BSC ! 84 to 90 KE is usually the recd KE"

I understand its the mindset of game regulators, but Kenetic Energy is annoying when talking arrows in which there are too many variables of profiles, types of heads, etc, etc., but getting those game commissions to understand would be more of a challenge than 70 pounds and a Buff...8^)

30-Aug-15
Mike, was that a on old Easton 2413 or 2514 Aluminum shaft with maybe a 2117 inside it? I've switched to carbon but that brings back memories. Love the bosses on your bull. When did you harvest him? If you get the arrow shaft weight up you have the energy. Yours was 980 right. That's in the 900 to 1100 grain window Ashby says you need to be in with a 70lb bow.

30-Aug-15
1Arrow, I sleeved a Easton Jazz 1914 into an Easton Gamegetter II 2219, VPA 2 blade 200 grains broadhead.

Buff was taken in July 2013 at Alpetra Game Reserve while on a safari with Dries Vissers.

01-Sep-15

switchback33's embedded Photo
switchback33's embedded Photo
I just over in South Africa in July and was able to take a great buff. Used Easton FMJ DG full length arrows tipped with 180 gr German Kinetic silver flames the power plant was a Mathews Creed. I had a quartering away shot that center punched both ribs and was sticking out the opposite side shoulder, recovery was about a 100 yds.

01-Sep-15
Ok,but what about a 17lb Alabama Gobbler?

01-Sep-15
Very cool buff switchback33.

• Sitka Gear