scrapwood 27-Aug-15
kiwi 30-Nov-15
HUNT MAN 30-Nov-15
Bowboy 30-Nov-15
kiwi 01-Dec-15
23-Aug-15

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Just got back from my WY mountain goat hunt.

After defying the drawing odds and being lucky enough to draw a tag. I started making calls to get info on the area since I've never been in the area. Ron Niziolek, Jason Stafford, and the Cody WY Game & Fish office where very helpful and really helped a lot. I really appreciated their help.

This is not my first goat hunt. I got tired of trying to draw a tag in the lower 48, so I booked a hunt with Bolen & Lewis in 2011 and took a great goat see attached picture.

My main goal was to have a good time and enjoy the experience.

I did three separate scouting trips before the archery season opened on the August 15th. This is a 7 hour trip just to get to the area from my home in Cheyenne.

I hunted 7 days solo and covered a lot of ground. I saw goats everyday. Also this is grizzly bear country.

All the pictures are not the greatest Like BB or Paul at the Fort), but it was really windy and hard to hold the camera steady most of the time.

23-Aug-15

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Day one, I hiked into this creek drainage since I'd seen goats on a previous scouting trip. I didn't see any goats. I hiked back out later in the day and when I went to another area next to the road was two nannies, and kids.

23-Aug-15
Beautiful goat and great accomplishment . I got one in Alaska 23 years ago, tough hunt for sure.

23-Aug-15

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
You couldn't really hunt off the main road do to all the tourist would stop and all be taking pictures of the goats. I didn't want another Cecil the lion incident.

23-Aug-15
been waiting for this one. bring it on!

23-Aug-15

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
DAY two, I went into a another area the wind was really howling. I saw two nannies, and two kids. I hiked back to my truck about noon, and come over the hill and there a bunch of goats right by my truck again, and tourist all over the place taking pictures of them.

23-Aug-15

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
I went back and got my ATV trailer and relocated away from all the tourist to a more remote location.

I get to my glassing spot and after about an hour of glassing spot some goats.

It was later in the day and I didn't have time to put a stalk on them.

There were two groups of billies. The one group had two B&C caliber billies. I forgot top bring my digitize scoping attachment so I free handed it.

23-Aug-15
The area is more like mule deer country than goat country.

23-Aug-15

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Oops the picture didn't attach.

23-Aug-15
Day three, I went back and saw two billies, but couldn't locate the B&C billies. I stayed up there all day looking for them. No luck!

23-Aug-15
Day four, I went back to the same area and climbed up on top and spotted two billies bedded. I got as close as possible dropped my pack, and started sneaking down through the rocks looking for them. I peaked over a rock and there was a goat laying about 30yds away. He was acting like a mule deer and bedded under a snag. I had no shot do to the branches in the way. I sat there for 2.5 hours waiting for him to stand and get in a spot I could take a shot. If he went to the left I would get a shot, if he went to the right no go. Well he finally stood up and went to the right.

I hunted the rest of the day trying to locate some other goats but no such luck.

23-Aug-15

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Day five,I went to a new area I'd never been in before. I hike about 4 miles back in and stopped by this lake to get a snack. Haven't saw any goats yet!

23-Aug-15

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
I started hiking father up the hill when I hear people shouting. I'm thinking great some hikers are getting harassed by a grizzly. I come up over the rise and I see some people climbing a rock.

I look about 400yds left of the people and there is a billy going over a hill. I hurry and scramble to the top, but no goat. I looked for this goat for over 3 hours and could not find him. He sure pulled the vanishing act on me.

23-Aug-15

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Day five, I hiked to another area, but didn't see any goats. I was sure I would see some goats.

23-Aug-15

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Here's another picture of the area.

23-Aug-15

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Here's some decent muley bucks I saw on my way back.

23-Aug-15
I go to one of my old spots and spot five goats bedded. On'es a billy. It's after 4pm and devised a plan to make a move on them. The only problem is there is a big snow bank that I have to go out on to see them.

I get to my spot and as close to the edge as possible and I can see one of the goats about 35yds away. It's a nanny. The wind is really blowing and at times swirling. All of a sudden the wind swirls and the nanny stands and looks up and I'm busted.

They all get up move a little ways and stop & look at me. There is one billy with them but it's 59yds and way to long of a shot in the wind.

He gets to olive another day!

23-Aug-15
Craig, congrats on another great trophy and adventure. Way to "git 'er done"!

23-Aug-15

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Day six, I go to another area and see a few goats but they're all nannies and kids.

So I decide to got back to where I saw the fives goats on day five in the afternoon.

I hike down to where I can glass the basin, and I spot 14 goats bedded in a rise. There is two billies with them.

I had to hike down a nasty rocky draw to stay out of there sight. I circle around a peek around a rock and there still bedded and about 250yds away. All of a sudden the lead nanny gets up and and the rest stand and start feeding. I had feeling this was going to happen since it was lat in the afternoon.

They go down in a ravine out of sight but the wind is wrong to make a move. I re-position and I see their coming up the same draw I'm above watching them.

I moved to where I see the draw they're feeding up. I hope they feed up my side.

23-Aug-15

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
About five minutes later, I see the lead nanny, but she is on the opposite side of the draw. there about 80yds away. Way to far to shoot IMO!

They bed down about 90yds on the opposite hill. I'm stuck behind a small rock. I pretty well pinned down and the sun is going to set in about an hour. The only way I can maybe get out of there is by low crawling on my belly 150yds over a rise. It works and they never saw me.

I'll be heading back in the AM to hunt them again.

23-Aug-15
Day seven, I get back to the basin when it's light enough to glass. I look at the last place I left the goats the night before, nothing! I move around the basin ans still don't see them. I know they have to be there somewhere.

Finally I spot them above the basin across from me about a mile away. They're headed for a pile of rocks. I scramble and get there and they didn't see since I was in they wide open.

I snap and around on range a few things and wait. Finally I see the lead nanny at about 60yds. They all file past me, but the wind is howling again and it's way to far to shoot.

They head over the hill and towards the main road and bed down. All the tourist see them and pull over and start taking pictures. Game over again!

23-Aug-15
nice

23-Aug-15
I hike back to my truck and decide to go back to where I saw the two B&C billies on day two.

I get to my glassing spot about 11:00am and after about an hour glassing I spot a lone billy bedded on a rock.

I carefully look and only see him. I grab my stuff and start hiking up the hill after him.

It's really dry and noisy and the wind is gusting at times. I get to the top and drop my pack and start crawling down through the rocks to were the billy is laying. I only move when the wind gust.

I get to the huge rock and know the goat is just on the other side. The only problem is I can't get on top of the rock above the goat. I decide to go to the left of the rock and hope I can see him before he sees me.

I step around the big rock and onto another rock and there is a goat laying about 8yds away with only about 10 inches of it's vitals showing. It's head is behind a big rock. It has no shaggy looking fur which from all the billies I've seen are all clean and not shedding like a lot of the nanny's.

I come to full draw settle the pin and the arrow is gone. The goat stands up and I immediately see it's a nanny. The arrow hit her in the heart and I put second arrow in her vitals for insurance. She runs to my right behind a big rock and out of sight.

All of a sudden a billy comes from that direction and is standing there wondering what happen and keeps looking back. The billy stood there the whole 30 minutes I waited and I could have shot him numerous times.

After the thirty minutes I stood-up and he looked at me like where you come from and climbs down a steep face and out of site.

23-Aug-15

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Here is the blood trail.

23-Aug-15

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Here's another blood trail spot.

23-Aug-15
I crawl up on the rock where her head was hidden and look to my left and she is piled up on a ledge.

I go over and check and her milk sack is dry so she had no kid thank goodness!

Before this trip my goals was not to harvest a nanny. In hindsight I should have waited too verify if it was the billy. I was totally unaware there was another goat with the billy. I though he had just moved positions prior to me getting there. It happens!

It was fun trying to butcher it on a ledge.

Also there was fresh grizzly bear scat about 3/4 mile away from where I shot the goat.

Overall it was a great adventure and wouldn't have it any other way!

23-Aug-15

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Oops the picture didn't take again!

23-Aug-15
Bowboy,

Great goat and thread! Keep it rolling!!!

Mark

23-Aug-15
Congrats on a fine goat and hunt.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

23-Aug-15
Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

23-Aug-15
Congrats again Craig

23-Aug-15
Man I wish I wasn't 60. That is my dream hunt right there! Well done!

23-Aug-15
What an awesome hunt! I really hope to mountain goat hunt someday. Thanks for sharing.

23-Aug-15
Congratulations! I am hoping to get an opportunity to chase mountain goats soon. Looks like you had a great trip.

23-Aug-15
Congrats Craig!

23-Aug-15
Nice job Craig. Getting close to those goats seems to be ridiculously tough...I can understand you taking the first good shot opportunity after all that!

Best of Luck, Jeff

23-Aug-15
Congratulations on a great goat! You did what few will do regardless of sex. Especially on your own. Way to go!

23-Aug-15
nice going congrats

23-Aug-15
great job. billy or nanny matters not. you got it done and done with excellence.

23-Aug-15
Nice. Loved every second of your hunt. Well done.

My best, Paul

23-Aug-15
Congrats on your success Craig!

23-Aug-15
Way to go. Sounds like lots of fun!!

23-Aug-15
Nice, always like it when hunting stories finally start popping up on Bowsite.

Good looking goat.

23-Aug-15
Thanks for all the kind words guys!

I forgot to post this picture. It's way up on the side of a sheer cliff. I think it might be an old weather station back in the day?

23-Aug-15
nice!!!!!!!!!! congrats

23-Aug-15
Congratulations!!! ... nice work.

23-Aug-15
Sweet, thanks for sharing!

23-Aug-15
Well done, congratulations!!

23-Aug-15
Great story and goat! great shot and congrats

23-Aug-15
That's awesome Craig, congrats!

23-Aug-15
That was a heck of a good read. Bob.

23-Aug-15

Bowboy's embedded Photo
Bowboy's embedded Photo
Here's the picture that didn't load!

I forgot to post this picture. It's way up on the side of a sheer cliff. I think it might be an old weather station back in the day?

23-Aug-15
Congrats, incredible hunt

23-Aug-15
Congrats great job!

DJ

23-Aug-15
Cool pics and quite a hunt, congrats sir!

23-Aug-15
Great job, Craig! Never a doubt that your get it done!!!!

24-Aug-15
Nice job!!!!

24-Aug-15
Great for you Craig!!

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

24-Aug-15
Congratulations. Sounds like a great adventure.

24-Aug-15
Congrats bowboy!!

24-Aug-15
Outstanding thread! Great job on your goat and thank you for sharing your adventure. Very well done!!!

24-Aug-15
Great Story! Congrats!

24-Aug-15
Congrats Craig..

24-Aug-15
Congrats ! thanks for sharing

24-Aug-15
Congrats on a great trophy, nanny or billy doesn't matter!

24-Aug-15
Great story and goat. thanks for sharing.

24-Aug-15
Awesome!! Thanks for sharing!!

24-Aug-15
WY G&F aged my goat today she was 6 years old!

24-Aug-15
Pics looked fine to me! Great story, thanks much for taking us along for the ride.

LOL! "Cecil".... too good.....

24-Aug-15
Way to go, Craig! What a way to start the season!

25-Aug-15
Outstanding job. I hope to shoot one here in Wyoming some day.

That box on the cliff is a peregine falcon release station. We still have some here in the Bighorns from when they where trying to reestablish populations 15-20 years ago.

25-Aug-15
Vernon is right. The box is a peregrine hack box. Congrats on the goat!

25-Aug-15
Grats on your goat

26-Aug-15
Magnificent. Congrats.

26-Aug-15
Great job Craig.

26-Aug-15
Congrats!!

27-Aug-15
Congratulations for your success on a beautiful mature Goat Craig.

27-Aug-15
Congrats!

30-Nov-15
Great hunt. Did you camp out in a tent for this hunt or day hunt from your truck? I would love to try for a WY goat tag but not keen on camping in grizzly country!

30-Nov-15
Man I missed this one Congrats on the goat and great photos. Hunt

30-Nov-15
Kiwi- I truck camped. It helped me be more mobile. I had my backpacking gear but didn't really need it. Most of the goats were easily within daily walking distance.

I saw zero Grizzlies during my hunt. I think they were all hanging out near the campgrounds or Yellowstone trying to prey on the tourist lol.

01-Dec-15
Thanks Bowboy. Good to hear.

Now I just need a lot of luck to draw a tag!

• Sitka Gear