ToddT 30-Aug-15
WFG in NM 30-Aug-15
gobbler 30-Aug-15
Surfbow 30-Aug-15
Thornton 31-Aug-15
wifishkiller 31-Aug-15
Mule Power 31-Aug-15
29-Aug-15
Is it possible to get a good mountain lion hunt for around $3,000?

I am in a new business and it looks like I will have the most opportunity, or time off, in December and January. A good perk is being able to afford - within reason - a hunt that I want, and I have always wanted a mountain lion.

So is this amount a reasonable expectation for a high quality mountain lion hunt?

Can anyone refer me to a particular outfitter, individual, or guide?

Thanks, Todd.

29-Aug-15
it is possible in that there are a few hunts that cheap for a short duration. on any given hunt it could end up being "good" for that hunter for that week, but I would not expect any consistently predictable decent results with an operation offering short hunts for 3-4K

29-Aug-15

Bou'bound's Link
these guys will do a 3 day hunt for your price know nothing about them other than they are short and cheap and will take females

29-Aug-15
Todd, did you pull a Caitlyn on us?

29-Aug-15
Cat track outfitters in colorado....i think he is 3800...i believe he has always been 100%...and he is a great guy

29-Aug-15
g5 smoke, thanks, I will check them out. Bill, huh? What are you asking?

29-Aug-15
Bou, what would be a better price paramter for a high success hunt?

29-Aug-15
Lol, Bou said they were 'short, cheap and took females..'

29-Aug-15
avg price to hunt a lot of species is running 1000 plus a day im in the wrong biz .

29-Aug-15
Todd if you look at averages think about ten-day hunts in the US in the seven to $8000 range like Lou said maybe a grande day

29-Aug-15
And the roughly thousand dollar a day rateby and if you think about it the roughly thousand dollar a day rate is what the cheap one posted above is it's just that he's only running it for three days

29-Aug-15
Guys that are running those cheap hunts typically are killing anything that is legal.If it trees and its legal they want you to kill it regardless of size or sex.

29-Aug-15
Those look like skinny cats Bou

30-Aug-15
I would save for another year and book a quality hunt. Would hate to be out $3k and not happy....and then have to spend how much more on the next cat hunt.

30-Aug-15
Maybe look into a Cancelation Hunt----

Cheaper but very short notice most of the time--

Good luck, Robb

30-Aug-15
$6500. We only shoot mature Toms and you hunt until you get your cat. All private land. I've never sent a hunter home without his cat. And you get a discount on a Lifesize mount if I mount it.

30-Aug-15

FullCryHounds's embedded Photo

30-Aug-15

30-Aug-15
A 3 thousand dollar hunt done twice is 6 grand. It's easier to pay $4500 and do it once. If I were going to spend money on a lion hunt it would be with Travis Reggear in Idaho. I used to book hunts for him. Everyone got cats. Otherwise I wouldn't have bothered working with him.

One time I booked two guys who had both been on 2 hunts each and still hadn't killed lions. It was an interesting phone call when they both got back and had 2 toms.

Just Google Reggear Outfitters.

30-Aug-15
todd

dean - fullcry above - knows this stuff listen to him

30-Aug-15
Yikes I thought a few years ago they were lots of $3k-$4k hunts? Ok might be 7-8 years ago.

Inflation!!!!

Todd I might be interested FYI

30-Aug-15
I just checked 5 random places highest was $5k fyi

30-Aug-15
I really appreciate all the information. As usual, it seems like I have always been a day late and a dollar short, so to speak, and that still seems to be the case. What I mean by that is, I used to look at hunts that were around $3,000 and just wish I could go, but coming up with the $3,000 was next to impossible. Now that $3,000 has become affordable, at least somewhat, now the price is $6,000. Oh well, I guess that is just life and economics.

Anyway, I will check in to all the suggestions. I really like Rob's idea of trying to find a cancellation hunt. I am pretty flexible on schedule, so that could help some, and possibly a lot with cost.

Looking back, about three years ago, I found a guy on monstermuleys. Long story short, he had an opportunity to come to Colorado and hunt mountain lion for $500, then if you killed something, he simply asked for a tip for the dog owner. From what I remember, it was no food or lodging and was basically a large ranch or ranches, that had too many lions, and they were wanting to get rid of them. But you shot whatever was treed, with no regard to hunting a mature animal. I didn't make the trip because two things, one, I had several other hunts that year and didn't really have the time to add another, and two, at the time, I really couldn't afford it - go figure on that one.

Mountain lion is one of those animals that if I lived in the area and had dogs, I would probably hunt them every year, but as my circumstances are as they are, I really can only see myself doing one hunt. At least for the time being, as I am sure, just like everything else, after doing it once, you will want to do it again.

Once again, I appreciate all the advice.

30-Aug-15
I do live in the area and had dogs. Whatever you may pay to hunt lions will definitely be cheaper and take less time than trying to build your own pack. One thing is certain, it won't get cheaper.

--Bill

30-Aug-15
My first lion hunt in 1992 was 3000.00 for 10 days. Killed a good PY Tom on 9th day. I know a guy that runs a good hunt in NM for about 4500.00. Most Canadian hunts are 8 thousand plus nowdays.

You might get a better deal if u can get a cancellation hunt and be able to go on short notice. That can save u on the hunt but if you're flying tickets will be higher.

30-Aug-15
Great cats Dean!

31-Aug-15
West Elk Outfitters has a high success rate for $5k as long as it snows

31-Aug-15
Dean would be a good bet! Good dogs take time or lots of money. I don't know how these guys make any money at 3-4 k a hunt????

31-Aug-15
Yep... used be all over the place for 3 grand. But that changed awhile back.

Remember you get what you pay for. It is not cheap or easy to not only own GOOD dogs but to also keep them in shape year round so they don't peter out half way through a hunt. Unlike lots of other guiding being a houndsman is a year round thing. More of a way of life than a means of income. Best of luck to you.

By the way it can't hurt to call Travis Reggear and the see what his references have to say.

• Sitka Gear