Matte 02-Sep-15
TwoDogs@work 02-Sep-15
Garrett 02-Sep-15
Matt Palmquist 02-Sep-15
BoggsBowhunts 02-Sep-15
doubledrop 28-Sep-15
crestedbutte 28-Sep-15
01-Sep-15
Planning a Antelope hunt in Wallace County opening weekend and was wondering if anyone had Pronghorn experience in western Kansas. The guy I am going with has had decent success and last year hekilled a 14" goat out there. It'll be my first time hunting antelope so just wondering if it is a good area or I am wasting my time, thanks for the help guys!

01-Sep-15
The Kansas antelope herd is very small, approximately 2,000 animals total. You can have success but you will put on lots of miles trying to locate animals on ground that you can hunt, whether that be WIHA or landowner permission. Good luck.

02-Sep-15
As well as be a resident of the state of Kansas to get a tag unless you have land that you own and it is more than 80 acres. Most WIHA out west also does not open till November.

02-Sep-15
You sure about that Matte? On their website it says Nonresident Archery antelope is only $202.50, and everybody I've talked to says they have changed it this year to where NonRes can buy OTC?

02-Sep-15
I didnt know nonresident permits were that expensive. For that amount of money I would pay a little more and drive to Wyoming. There you can worry about trying to kill an anteloipe as opposed to trying to find one you can hunt.

02-Sep-15
Sorry you are correct, it is firearms I was thinking of. I don't goat hunt so it has been a few years since I looked at those regs. Good Luck they are hard to find.

02-Sep-15
Boggs:

As said above archery antelope hunting in Kansas is difficult with a low success rate. Wallace county is probably the best county in the state. If the guy you are going with has taken one with a bow he probably knows some good areas and strategies. I will add that I hunted them in the Wallace county area several times and they are not very plentiful even in the best areas. Don't get too hung up on the need to tag one and just enjoy the hunt and perhaps it will all come together.

02-Sep-15
I went 2 years ago, it was one of the hardest hunts i have experienced. The goats are VERY skiddish! I was amazed on how alert they are at all times. For example, we would see goats on the other end of the section and stop the truck to glass, by the time we got our binos up they were on the move. The farmers hate them and do everything they can to push them off their land. We tried to decoy them and had little success. To be effective with a decoy you really have to close the distance to 100 +/- yards. That can be very difficult with the terrain or lack of.

Things to keep in mind: They will not go in crop fields taller than them,i.e- corn or milo.

They tend to stay out in wheat or stubble fields, right smack in the middle...

We had ZERO luck on the water because they are wise enough to wait until its dark to drink.

Just hunt hard and have fun, its an experience you will not forget!

02-Sep-15
Take leather gloves and knee pads. Lots of stickers in some of the fields. The others have given you some good insight. Good luck and have fun!!

Matt

02-Sep-15
Thanks guys! I appreciate the help, the guy I am going with has killed 4 goats out there with his bow and has a ton of private land to go on so I hope we can locate some, but I'm really not going for a trophy goat I just want to enjoy a hunt on something other than whitetails

28-Sep-15
+1 on Matt's comment. My knees are worn raw from just one long stalk without knee pads. Wore them every time after.

28-Sep-15
It will be without a doubt, one if not the most earned trophies you ever take. IMO, you are in the best County and unit in KS.

• Sitka Gear