Hawkeye 19-Sep-15
sticksender 20-Sep-15
Z Barebow 21-Sep-15
NvaGvUp 23-Sep-15
Paul@thefort 25-Sep-15
11-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Not exactly your classic ridiculously demanding Canadian Sheep hunt!

Sheep Camp, the five star Spirit Ridge resort in Osoyoos, BC.

11-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Kitchen

11-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
'Mountain tent' sleeping quarters.

11-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Mountain 'tent' "living room."

11-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
View from the dining deck.

11-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
View from the back deck.

11-Sep-15
nice enjoy i need a hunt like that one day.

11-Sep-15
Louis.

After all of the ridiculously physical backpack sheep hunts I've done the last few years, this one was the total opposite!

12-Sep-15
Nice place. Who are you hunting with? Are the accommodations and food included in the hunt? How far do you have to drive to the hunt area? Good luck!

12-Sep-15
Steve,

I hunted with Aaron Stelkia. We (my neighbor came along) could have stayed at his place, but the references I talked with recommended the Spirit Ridge resort.

We had a :30 drive to meet him in the morning. There are sheep all over the area, including on the mountain right behind the resort. The first day we were glassing from a vineyard!

12-Sep-15
nice,,,,,those hunts are nice breaks!

12-Sep-15
Just out of curiosity what's a hunt like this run???

12-Sep-15
ELKMAN,

$45,000 base, plus license, travel, tips, etc. Figure on a $50,000 base next year.

12-Sep-15
Gooduck Kyle. Bow hunting or rifle? Not that it matters.

12-Sep-15
Brad,

I took those photos myself, so I'm home now.

I have six tags this year. All are archery-only except for this one. I took the bow, but as the outfitter was saying they'd not been seeing a lot of sheep in the last couple of days before I got there, I decided to use a rifle. After four straight Rocky bighorn hunts without even seeing a legal ram, and at age 67, I did not want to run the risk of not tagging out on what turned out to be my 4th of the Four North American Wild Sheep.

12-Sep-15
You have to get it done Kyle by whatever means to reach this great FNAWS accomplishment!

(I hunted some of that area/region a few times, absolutely beautiful scenic country!)

12-Sep-15
Ron,

I knew there were a lot of vineyards in the Okanogan. But I never dreamed the Okanogan would seem to have far more vineyards than does the Napa Valley.

How weird is it that you can glass for sheep from a vineyard? Weirder yet is that taking a break means you walk twenty feet to pluck a few red or green grapes to sample them.

On a sheep hunt!!!!!!

12-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Da' Ram!

Not the best CA BHS out there, but never-the-less, a very representative ram. He's got great color and he must have spent lots of time rubbing his horns against his buddy's horns, because they are very smooth. That's quite unusual for a Rocky in my experience.

12-Sep-15
Congrats on the FNAWS Kyle.

13-Sep-15
Kyle, nice ram, congrats on the 4th species. Sounds like a relaxing sheep hunt if there ever was such a thing.

Cali's are neat sheep. We have them in the backyard here at our house around Kamloops. It is about like the Okanogin as there is a vineyard on the next property east of us. The other day there were 12 rams and a few ewes visible on the mountain and sometimes more. We do not have a sheep season right here though......the closest one is west of us 25 km or so and is the hardest to draw LEH hunt in BC.

13-Sep-15
Congrats Kyle! Quite an accomplishment!

Mark

13-Sep-15
wow!

13-Sep-15
Congrats Kyle Happy to see it work out!

13-Sep-15
Congratulations on your FNAWS Kyle. Never hurts to have an easy one once in a while.

13-Sep-15
Congrats Kyle on your FNAWS!! Good looking Cali ram for sure! Carries his mass nice. Let's see a few more ram pics. (I have been told that the OK Valley rams spend quite a bit of time with their horns in contact against their buddies)

13-Sep-15
Congratulations Kyle. Great looking ram.

13-Sep-15
can we get more details on this. killing a sheep is a big deal regardless of what weapon is used and how fancy the tent or hotel one stays in is or how many mints you get on your pillow each night. this thread is leaving out a lot of good detail that would be interesting.

we just had a bowsiter take his grand slam it sounds like and this is newsworthy under any scenario.

13-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Thanks for the support, guys. I appreciate it!

I took my Dall's in 2000 in the Talkeetnas in Alaska with Tony Russ as my guide. We'd watched the ram for four days before he went to a spot where I could get close enough to put an arrow into him.

I took my Stone in BC in 2002 with Barry Thompkins of Big Nine. Oddly, the most memorable part of that trip came two days after I'd tagged the ram. I had three big Grizzlies walk toward me to within 15-20 yards while I was sitting in a little ground blind I'd built near a bog, hoping for a moose or an elk to walk by.

Then my run of bad luck started. I hunted Canmore with Frank and Flint Simpson in 2003. We had a monster snowstorm hit us the first night (22" in town!) and it messed up the rams' travel plans. We never saw a legal ram and Frank was 0-4 that year for probably the only time ever.

A Stone hunt in 2008 was a great trip where we had it all - a Super Cub flight to a tiny gravel bar followed by a six-hour backpack up the mountain to a tiny spike camp. But in 10-12 days of hunting, we never saw a legal ram.

In 2010, 2012 and 2013 I was off to Alberta looking for a Rocky. Despite lots of serious hikes and climbs up and down some really nasty stuff, yet again not a legal ram was spotted on any of those hunts.

Last year I went back to BC for Stones, again with Frank Simpson. But my luck did not change. In twelve days of giving it everything we could give it, we never saw a legal ram. In fact, we never saw a ram of any size at all until Day 8!

Last November I took a fine Desert BHS here in Nevada. NV has an 'any ram' rule, so finding a legal ram is not an issue. We saw lots of rams every day and I took a 167" ram on Day 6.

In the area I hunted this past week, it's also an 'any ram' area, so again the challenge was far easier.

The first morning we spotted a mid-150's ram from a vineyard. While he wasn't what I wanted, he entertained us when a coyote tried to stalk him. He'd run at the 'yote and chase it off, but the coyote kept trying. One time he actually pushed the 'yote over a small ledge, which not deter the coyote at all. Fun stuff.

It wasn't until late afternoon we saw more rams. This time it was a band of three. We watched them head up a mountain for an hour or so and figured we'd go after them in the morning.

So my neighbor and I headed back to the hotel while the outfitter said he'd glass from his house before dark. (He lives four miles out-of-town.)

We'd just gotten back to the hotel when he called me, saying he'd spotted eight rams across the valley from his place, two or three of which were shooters.

The next morning we spotted them as soon as it got light and after watching them for an hour or so, we headed up the mountain. Thirty minutes later, we spotted them and after a very short stalk, I lay down, rested my rifle on a burned out deadfall and started looking at the band of rams through my scope.

While rocks and brush prevented me from seeing all of them, one very nice ram was broadside to me, looking straight at us in a classic pose. I liked his mass and his look, so I took the shot. It was a good hit and he went about twenty yards and rolled over dead.

The rifle I used was a Nosler 6.5 x 284 Norma I'd won in a raffle at the CA WSF banquet in 2009. Then at this year's CA WSF banquet, a very good taxidermist had donated a pedestal mount for a sheep to the auction, which I bought. So this ram has two solid connections to the WSF chapter I'd founded in 2001, which is pretty cool.

13-Sep-15
Kyle,

Beautiful ram and congratulations on a lifetime achievement!

Scott

13-Sep-15
You've got my admiration Kyle. 100% well-done!

13-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Packing the ram off the mountain wasn't exactly much of an effort either.

13-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo

13-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo

13-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo

13-Sep-15
Congrats Kyle, awesome!

Bill v

13-Sep-15
Congratulations... beautiful ram & awesome hunt!

... we want more photos !!!!!!!!!

13-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Ghost Bird,

I posted the best photos I have of this hunt.

So here are the first three rams I took en route to my FNAWS.

13-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo

13-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo

13-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo

13-Sep-15
AWESOME!!!!

Congrats!!! This is a well deserved achievement. I can't think of anyone more deserving.

13-Sep-15
congrats on the ram quest

13-Sep-15
Congrats Kyle!

(neighbor might be ruined, though ;)

13-Sep-15
Greg,

My neighbor and his wife just might be the best neighbors you could ever hope to have.

They don't hunt, but they love wildlife and have had multiple wildlife adventures.

They don't hunt, but they support hunting and totally understand why we do it and love it.

Steve had a blast on the hunt and enjoyed it almost as much as I did.

13-Sep-15
NVA Congrats. Great Ram

I love the luxury hunt. After paying your dues you deserved it

13-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Real sheep camps!

2014 Stone Sheep hunt

13-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
2013 Alberta RMBHS bivy 'camp'

13-Sep-15
Congrats Kyle,

I am a big follower of your hunts and writings even though I'm not a sheep hunter.

Congrats on an outstanding accomplishment.

13-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
2013 Alberta RMBHS bivy 'camp'

13-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
2008 Stone sheep base camp. We flew onto a tiny gravel bar 100 yards from this spot, then hiked the six hours to the spike camp the next day.

13-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
2008 Stone Sheep Spike Camp.

I got an abcessed tooth on this hunt a few days in and thought I'd have to leave. Fortunately the pain died down a lot over the next day or two so we stayed.

13-Sep-15
Congratulations!!! That is awesome and inspiring. What a journey!

13-Sep-15
This is BOWSITE, for BOWHUNTERS!!!!!! (There, saved you the time, Herm.) :-)

Congrats on a very well-earned ram, and thanks for the pics of all of the hunts.

Man, I felt guilty staying in a Holiday Inn Express when I drew MT. and bad also when I didn't see anything even remotely close to a legal ram on a stone hunt in the Yukon.

Again, neat stuff, and count me as a bowhunter who's glad you got it done. (I'd have taken a rifle, too, in a heart beat.)

13-Sep-15
Congratulations Kyle.

14-Sep-15
Congrats!!

14-Sep-15
Congrats !!

14-Sep-15
I've been wondering what " sheep shape " means. Now I know :)

14-Sep-15
Congratulations Kyle on a great accomplishment! I'm having lunch today with older gentleman I met a couple of weeks ago. He showed me his grand slam ring. I believe he's #136, or something close to that. He finished his way back in the 1970's. So I set up this lunch to hear some stories of how it used to be. And I'll be sure and pass along that you just finished yours in a vineyard of all places! I bet he wont' believe it. See you in January. Alan

14-Sep-15
Congrats Kyle! Quite the accomplishment

14-Sep-15
Wow. Amazing! Thank you very much for sharing your stories

14-Sep-15
Congratulations Kyle!

>>>>-------->

14-Sep-15
Way to go Kyle. Glad you got it done..

14-Sep-15
"the Four North American Wild Sheep." LOL!

They used to have a term for that, forget what that was..... so long ago, before you had to get all lawyered up to use it....

Congrats Kyle! Great job and quite an accomplishment. Thanks for sharing it with us.

14-Sep-15
Tom,

Thanks.

We call it a 'FNAWS' for good reason! I'm very pleased to see how many others on this thread also used the term.

14-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Alberta, 2013.

We had a six-hour climb with full packs, gaining 3,700' of elevation from the road at the bottom to where I took this photo.

14-Sep-15

14-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
British Columbia, 2002

14-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Canmore, 2003

14-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Canmore, 2003

14-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Canmore, before the storm.

14-Sep-15
Nice ram Kyle. Congrats on your FNAWS. A great accomplishment especially considering the amount of effort it took over multiple excursions.

14-Sep-15
AWESOME! Congratulations on an amazing accomplishment Kyle!

14-Sep-15
Congratulations on your California Bighorn and your Four North American Wild Sheep! That is quite an accomplishment! Thanks for sharing your hunt with us. Looks like really pretty country to be hunting sheep. Cool!

14-Sep-15
excellent! congrats on the four species and thanks for the pictures and stories of your memories

14-Sep-15
Kyle, grats on your CA DBHS and your FNAWS.

And thanks for sharing your hunts.

15-Sep-15
Happy for ya Kyle!

Congrats

Good luck, Robb

15-Sep-15
Awesome! Congrats!

15-Sep-15
Believe it or not, the Spirit Ridge cost us just $105/night Canadian!

15-Sep-15
Kyle, that is such a great looking Nevada ram in your FNAWS! Congrats again on reaching this this pinnacle.

15-Sep-15
Thank you, Ron.

16-Sep-15
Wow what an accomplishment...congrads of doing something really special..what a journey..

17-Sep-15
Congratulations on a wonderful accomplishment!

17-Sep-15
Congratulations on your FNAWS, Kyle. If anyone here on the Bowsite has earned accolades regarding wild sheep in North America, it's you.

17-Sep-15
Thank you, Jim.

I just do what I can.

18-Sep-15
Congrats on your Grand Slam of NA Sheep. Quite an accomplishment....Just wondering do you have shoulder mounts of your other sheep or full mounts in A diorama?

19-Sep-15
Congrats Klye!

19-Sep-15
Congrats!!! Very cool to see the pics through the years :)

20-Sep-15
Congratulations on your FNAWS milestone Kyle!

21-Sep-15
Congratulations Kyle! Thanks for sharing your odyssey.

23-Sep-15

NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
NvaGvUp's embedded Photo
Rockbass,

My Dall and my Stone are shoulder mounts. The desert is a pedestal mount, as will be the Cali.

25-Sep-15
Kyle, very nice and congratulations on your sheep quest. All are hard but some are just harder for sure.

My best, Paul

• Sitka Gear