kota-man 21-Oct-15
loesshillsarcher 21-Oct-15
bowonly 21-Oct-15
Mark Watkins 25-Oct-15
MATHEWSSHOOTER 25-Oct-15
Nick Muche 25-Oct-15
Stekewood 25-Oct-15
04-Oct-15
I am packing the best I can get my weight down is 56lbs.Thinking of taking 3 check bags or pay the over weight fee what do you think ?

04-Oct-15
I think you better be prepared to have luggage delays from either Toronto or Halifax. It is very common. Where are you connecting from

04-Oct-15
denver

04-Oct-15
denver

04-Oct-15
You fly direct from Denver to deer lake????????

05-Oct-15
denver to toronto to halifax to deerlake

05-Oct-15
denver to toronto to halifax to deerlake

05-Oct-15
yes that is what I was saying..............watch those Toronto and Halifax flight on into deer lake flights. the last leg from Halifax is a very small plane and they will pull gear to make weight.

05-Oct-15
great

05-Oct-15
Have had to wait for luggage 1 day on my last trip. The airline delivered my bag to my outfitter and I had it in camp the following afternoon.

06-Oct-15
Use a carry on bag and stuff it will all your valuables and heavy stuff to make weight.

06-Oct-15
I'm flying Pittsburgh, Toronto, Deer Lake on Saturday, with no stop in Halifax. Can you change your itinerary to avoid the stop in Halifax?

06-Oct-15
MAbow

Making weight is not about switching weight between bags. it is about how much TOTAL weight on the plane from NS to NF and they only will carry so much so if they have too much they will take off gear before taking off people.

it may has nothing to do with how much passengers are carrying, but how much other stuff they are shipping on that plane

06-Oct-15
I can pack everything in one duffle bag , cloths, 2 recurves and arrows, and be under 50#. I use my day pack as my carry on bag, which may weigh form 20 - 30 # depending on the hunt. My buddies that hunt with a compound, stuff clothing and gear in thier bow cases. They can take a little more gear on hunts than myself by checking in 2 check on bags. I will bring my animal home as my second check in bag( smaller animals, deer ,antelope,bear,etc). Make a list of what gear you think you need, then go back through your list and only pack what you REALLY have to have. Most people pack way to much gear for a hunt.

06-Oct-15
Iron Mike, It's not going to make much difference if you route through Halifax, Toronto, Montreal, They are still going to put you on a Dash 8 or similar airplane if you go to Deer lake. If you route through ST Johns, you may fly a bigger plane but you will still connect on a Dash 8. You could be connecting through St Johns and or Gander, they don't generally tell you or print it on your itinerary if you aren't changing planes

06-Oct-15
BB, good to know. First trip, and I just looked at what was printed on the itinerary. Thanks for making me stress now! ;)

06-Oct-15
No kidding! This just ramped up the stress for sure (thanks Brandon!). I am flying from Denver to JFK to Halifax and overnighting in Halifax - there is at least one flight after mine for luggage to catch up. Then the next morning flying from Halifax to Deer Lake - again a flight after mine so hopefully there are no issues. I am on a CRJ to Deer Lake (probably a 200.

06-Oct-15
I wouldn't stress too much, I have never had luggage issues except for the one time I routed through Montreal. That wasn't a plane issue, baggage handlers wouldn't take the luggage off the plane from Hartford so we could clear customs in time.

The Dash 8's can probably carry close to the the same gear as the CRJ. They always used to reserve the CRJ for the flights into St. johns and then stick you on a Dash 8 from there. Like I said, don't stress, I've always had good luck through Halifax.

20-Oct-15

MATHEWSSHOOTER's embedded Photo
MATHEWSSHOOTER's embedded Photo
Ok you guys where right my baggage was lost or missed placed in toronto. Some it was my fault and most was United air giving me bad info .Not giving my self enough time with lay over 1hr and 30 mins is not enough .The united rep told me I did not need to pick up my bag and bow for Canada customs it would be forward to deerlake .WRONG A day and half later my bow and bag caught up to me .Lucky I had took my wife on this trip to do little sight seeing 4 days before the hunt .The rep at Canada air in deerlake was awesome she found my stuff had it delivered to our hotel. Also was told more hunters loss there stuff in toronto more time than not 3 out 5 guys and some dont get there stuff until after or in the middle of there hunts.

20-Oct-15

Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
Bigpizzaman's embedded Photo
Great meeting you there Brandon! No issues with luggage both ways for me!!

21-Oct-15

bliz6's embedded Photo
bliz6's embedded Photo
Sorry I missed you Tim. No issues with my luggage either but I didn't fly in through Toronto.

21-Oct-15
did you guys see many caribou

21-Oct-15
Brandon and I only hunted 1 day but I would say we saw around 30 - 40. It was a good hunt with some nice stags around.

21-Oct-15
Congrats on the Woodies guys. Newfoundland is an awesome experience.

21-Oct-15
awesome!! Congrats gentleman!!

21-Oct-15
I flew home from Gander two days ago. When I checked in at 4 AM to fly with my antlers, I was told my flight was over-booked to St. Johns. But not to worry, the new flight to Halifax was better. I was dumbfounded when they said my antlers could not have been sent on the original smaller airplane anyway and I could not have anticipated the snafu. So I was very lucky there was an involuntary change. Even luckier they refunded $200 because of the switch considering what they charged for checking antlers!

Unbelievably, all my luggage made it through both ways including the antlers and cape/meat box on the return.

I believe a good hunting travel agent is a must when flying to NFL.

25-Oct-15
Congrats Bill, Brandon and Tim!!!

Looks like you guys put the hurt on those Woodies for sure!!!

Not having ever hunted them, can you guys elaborate a bit....climb to high spot and glass and then move into spot and stalk?

Cabins, I assume? Transportation on NF...etc

Post up some more pics guys!!!

Mark

25-Oct-15
Ill start a new thread took over 100 pictures in 13 days

25-Oct-15
Can anyone recommend a good hunting travel agent please?

25-Oct-15
Nice bulls guys! Congratulations.

• Sitka Gear