Yeager 21-Oct-15
Ziek 21-Oct-15
jtelarkin08 21-Oct-15
Mike Ukrainetz 27-Oct-15
Bentshaft 27-Oct-15
18-Oct-15

jtelarkin08's embedded Photo
jtelarkin08's embedded Photo
Or judging moose i guess i should say?? I am just curious what my bull might score.. My guide was guessing like 185 or so and i just looked and 185 is the B&C minimum.. That would be pretty cool if he made that.. So just thought it would be fun to get some guesses..

He is 49.5" wide at the widest point.. Hopefully that will help with the guesses..

18-Oct-15
My guess is he grosses 185", nets just under. Hell of a bull either way.

18-Oct-15
Enough, thats for sure. Congrats.

18-Oct-15

19-Oct-15
188.5 gross, hard to tell the scoreable points from the picture.

19-Oct-15
WOW what a dandy!

congrats

Good luck, Robb

19-Oct-15
Congrats! A true beauty! Go on the P&Y website to down load a scoring sheet then to find a local Measurer! C

19-Oct-15
Congrats!

Where were you? Any details of the hunt?

Mark

19-Oct-15

Tatonka's embedded Photo
Tatonka's embedded Photo
Score is meaningless...that's a great bull, but I'm guessing more like mid 170's. A bull gets most of it's score from the width and length of the palms and spread.. Length of the points does not figure into the score...just the number of points.

Is that a British Columbia bull?

Here's the bull I killed last fall, to give you an idea of what a bull scores... 53" wide and the guide gross scored him at 188". I think the B&C minimum is 195"..

That's also a great photo, by the way. Yes, how about more photos and details of your hunt?

19-Oct-15
Congratulations... wish I would have gotten one like that this year!

Great moose!

Not easy to score from a picture but pretty good estimates have been given.

In the 180 range gross.

As far as net score? - I'm not sure, there seems to be a substantial difference between the two sides.

Canada moose is 185 for the award three year listing and 195 for the all time listing.

19-Oct-15
Even P&Y and B&C can't agree on a score. I have a Shiras' that was panel scored by both clubs. P&Y = 176 0/8, B&C = 180 3/8.

With less than a 50" spread more likely mid 170s. Great looking bull for sure.

19-Oct-15
I agree with most on here that he is short of it but just curious what you guys thought.. Heck i think its silly the way they score a moose.. I may put him in pope and young tho..

Ill try to post some more pics later.. Shot him with Sikanni River Outfitters in B.C.

19-Oct-15
Gross score---really, really big

Net----really big

Awesome bull JT...Congrats!

19-Oct-15

prezboys's embedded Photo
prezboys's embedded Photo
2015 DIY Moose Scored 224 5/8

20-Oct-15
Take scoring (any animal) with a grain of salt... With moose, why the length of the points isn't included in the score doesn't make a lot of sense to me.. With Caribou, only the length of the 4 longest tines on the tops are measured.. None of it really matters. Way, way too much emphasis is put on scoring these days...

That's a great bull you killed...just enjoy it.

20-Oct-15
big moose

20-Oct-15
Ziek,

Your comment about P&Y and B&C getting different scores at panel is not completely fair. Until just this year, their formula for scoring moose was not the same. If they are measuring different things, they would obviously get a different score.

20-Oct-15
tatonka I'm guessing that the rationale for not measuring points comes from the tendency for young bulls to have long points and small palms, whereas old mature bull moose tend to grow bigger palms and shorter points. That way the scoring system would reward maturity instead of penalizing for it.

20-Oct-15
My guess is who cares about score, a beautiful trophy and it will look great on your wall.

20-Oct-15
StickFlicker

That's not true. I have both score sheets and the methodology is identical. Also, B&C agreed with the original P&Y score which was done by one of their most experienced measurers who has been on many panels over the years.

I don't care which score is "correct". But it should be the same for both clubs. This happens far too often, just proving that scoring is very subjective. There is no real correct score.

20-Oct-15
If someone ask about score, then they care. A guides score is meaningless, unless they happen to be an official scorer and they follow all the guidelines. It's just a number if it's not official and it's not official until it is entered. These bulls, above are great trophies, regardless of numbers, but I choose to have my trophies entered in P&Y. Do my numbers really mean anything to anyone other the me. I don't think so. I know people ask out of curiosity, but most often that is all that it is. Besides P&Y is the greatest conservation, educational, & promotional bowhunting organization going. We all should be members if we have a passion for bowhunting and care about it's future. You can be a member and not have your trophies entered. You can even have your trophies entered without being a member.

Great bulls & thanks for sharing.

20-Oct-15
Deacon Dave, Very well said.

P&Y and B&C now have a MOU to prevent different scores between the two panels. Moving in the right direction.... Ed F

21-Oct-15
Ed B&C has a provision for entering a broken rack. Is P&Y considering adopting that provision?

21-Oct-15
Congrats! That's a great moose. The picture a'int bad either!

I never understood the "who cares" comments when someone asks about scores. It's obvious who cares.

21-Oct-15
I wouldn't have a clue, but that's a good looking animal ! Congrats to you Sir. I wish I had one of those 'straps...................

21-Oct-15
"Ed B&C has a provision for entering a broken rack. Is P&Y considering adopting that provision?"

Not at this time... We are working hard to reduce the differences between the two organizations scoring procedures. Ed F

21-Oct-15

StickFlicker's embedded Photo
I agree that moose scoring has potential for more subjective elements than do most other species, but overall I don't believe that there is all that much that is subjective about scoring if done correctly.

Here is the difference that until recently existed between P&Y and B&C moose scoring formulas. P&Y required that the length of the palm be measured between qualifying points and B&C allowed you to go between bumps or qualifying points. This difference could easily change the length score on a moose between the two programs.

I'm not saying that is what happened on Ziek's, I'm merely saying that the formulas were different on moose between the two organizations.

This was P&Y's length rule:

21-Oct-15

For B&C:

21-Oct-15
'Flicker I think you may have your attachments swapped. But in any case both orgs use the "dips to dips" rule now if I understand it correctly?

21-Oct-15
I will second Ed's statement that P&Y and B&C are working almost daily to get our slight differences reconciled.

I would guess that most folks would be shocked at the effort, expense and cooperation we have presently invested.

Beautiful moose guys!

21-Oct-15
Pope & Young uses the dips to dips, but if the brow only has a single point, you can't cross the open bay. You have to use a dip on the top of the palm that gives the most parallel line that runs by the inside edge of the bay to the bottom center edge of the brow point.

Great moose no matter what it scores!

21-Oct-15
StickFlicker. Again that is not correct. The measurement for length of palm for P&Y is not taken between qualifying points on the top of the palm.

From the expanded instructions: "Often the top of the palm will not have distinct points; instead a series of indentations (dips) will occur along this surface. In this case the measurement should originate at the bottom of one of these dips..."

That's the July 2012 version under which my bull was scored.

If sticksender is correct and you have the two methods swapped, then the P&Y score should have been much higher in my case.

Part of the problem with a moose is that the palm length is taken "parallel to the inner edge". I've never seen a moose with the inner edge describing a straight line, so that reference is highly speculative.

21-Oct-15
Man i didn't know i was gonna start such a debate ha.

I truly don't care what he scores but i am curious.. If this bull would have been half this big i would have probably shot him. I was fortunate to get a shot at a bull this cool so i took advantage of it lol

27-Oct-15

Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
Mike Ukrainetz's embedded Photo
Here is a bull we killed with a rifle that gross scored 185, was also 49 1/2 outside spread, looks similar, Canadian moose.

27-Oct-15
What an awesome looking rack !

• Sitka Gear