TSI 09-Nov-15
Fuzzy 09-Nov-15
sbschindler 09-Nov-15
thedude 09-Nov-15
Ken Taylor 09-Nov-15
Kdog 10-Nov-15
Kdog 10-Nov-15
08-Nov-15
So my plan if drawn is to go to NB next year saw three great Bulls during bear season. I plan to take a bow but outfitter recommend a gun. I'm new to the moose thing so would a 35 Whalen be enough loaded with 250 grain rounds. Two guys took nice moose with guns but I'm not into the 338 Win Mag and their shots where 400 meters. Any suggestions would be nice. Thanks

08-Nov-15
Heed your outfitter's advice and take the gun. Bow hunting moose is an extreme exhausting venture. If that is the gun you have available then your .35 Whalen with 250 grain load will do just fine if you stay within 200 yards. Make sure the scope is up to par in quality. Practice quick reloads and fast shooting, 3-4 bullets in a row.

Also, for larger game such as elk and moose, I believe the Swift 225-grain A-Frame and the Nosler Partition of the same weight are a better choice. Due to their higher velocity they shoot flatter and retain more weight for deep penetration than softer bullets weighing 250 grains.

Swift A-Frame 225(grains) RL-15(powder type) 58.0(load) 2,566(speed)

Nosler Partition 225(grains) V-N140(powder type) 56.0(load) 2,581(speed)

08-Nov-15
If you want to kill a moose with your bow, leave your rifle at home.

If it's more about the kill, and not the hunt, then by all means take your rifle along.

08-Nov-15
Outfitter recommends a gun because he wont have to work as hard to get you a moose! Use your bow! Moose are made to bowhunt!

08-Nov-15
As a bowhunter my shelf, I would not feel full if I shot one with the gun. Now that's just me. If a outfitter said that to me I would look into other outfitters. Ed

08-Nov-15
Are you already booked with the outfitter? Why is he yelling you bring a gun? Moose can and are killed every year with bows. If you are not already booked, find a new outfitter/guide that works with bowhunters.

08-Nov-15
Mike Vines is spot on. Which is more important? Keep in mind that next year NB is dropping back to a 3 day season for moose.

08-Nov-15
I might consider finding a new outfitter, a good bowhunting outfitter wouldn't recommend using a gun...he would encourage your desire to succeed with a bow.

08-Nov-15
A three day season you may want to look to an entirly new area no matter gun or bow but especially bow 3 day season come on and same price no doubt.

08-Nov-15
Huntcell I would also have a beer tag so the three day season doesn't bother me. I'm in this for the hunt of meat so the giant trophy doesn't excite me as much however the bow kill seems to always be more rewarding. Anyone can use gun but to say I did it with a bow lot more rewarding.

08-Nov-15
three day hunt for moose with the bow is very narrow window of opportunity. If the rut is not on getting close can be difficult to say the least, if rut is on moose a very receptive to calling so close shot opportunity is very real. good luck anyway u choose.

08-Nov-15
If you don't go with an experienced bow guide, you may be in worse shape than if you went DIY. From my experience, anyway. You need to trust your guide and follow his lead. However he, at the least, should know where the animals are etc.

08-Nov-15
"Huntcell I would also have a beer tag so the three day season doesn't bother me".

I would look elsewhere if you even need a tag for BEER!!

08-Nov-15
drawing NB is extremely tough.

08-Nov-15
Think he meant bear tag.but you just selected your weapon because rifles are prohibited during moose season for bear.There are a few good LICENSED bow guides but there not common up here.Getting a tag is the first thing...could take awhile!Onced drawnyou have lots of time to find a guide.Dont give anyone $$ to hold moose spots you may never see the tag or the $$.only pay deposits on guaranteed outfitter/guide tags and get proof the license exists theres only 50 forthe province.

09-Nov-15
Think he meant bear tag.but you just selected your weapon because rifles are prohibited during moose season for bear.There are a few good LICENSED bow guides but there not common up here.Getting a tag is the first thing...could take awhile!Onced drawnyou have lots of time to find a guide.Dont give anyone $$ to hold moose spots you may never see the tag or the $$.only pay deposits on guaranteed outfitter/guide tags and get proof the license exists theres only 50 forthe province.

09-Nov-15
A beer tag is always a plus

09-Nov-15
if you take a rifle on your hunt you will shoot your moose with a rifle, take one or the other, but not both, if you want to hunt a moose with a bow I would pick another outfitter, he is not a bowhunter friendly outfitter, there are plenty of them out there that will get you close.

09-Nov-15
Take the gun as well. If the bull hangs up at 300 yards on the last evening of the hunt that rifle will be quite useful, but if he comes into 30 yards on day one you got the bow. A freezer full of moose feels better than no moose.

09-Nov-15
I can't count how many animals (including moose) I've killed the last day with my bow during gun season... sometimes the last few minutes!

But this year, to make a long story short, although moose is our staple we will have to depend on caribou... all because of a choice I made a long time ago.

I must be nuts... since I hunt moose mostly for the meat, LOL!

I should add that at 62, I may be changing my philosophy in the near future... but just a little, LOL!

10-Nov-15
Are beer tags a tough draw in NB? I typically just run down to my local convenience store and grab a 6 pack. :)

Good luck on the hunt. Nothing wrong with using a rifle, but I would personally try to find someone who wants me to use a bow.

10-Nov-15
-

• Sitka Gear