bghunter 26-Nov-15
MaBow 29-Nov-15
Mudslinger 29-Nov-15
Mertyman 05-Jan-16
Beendare 05-Jan-16
bghunter 06-Jan-16
Toby 06-Jan-16
17-Nov-15
I will be hunting in New Zealand next year and will like to heard some advises about doing some tourism while i fly there I am taking my wife along

17-Nov-15
Awesome! Dream trip!

17-Nov-15
What outfitter are you using? When I went, the outfitter had all kinds of contacts for other activities. Best of luck.

What are you hunting for? Tahr, Red stags, Wallaby?

17-Nov-15
Kiwi safaris I am looking for a red stag and Thar

17-Nov-15
What island ? If out of Queenstown there is a ton to do right in town, plus lots of wine tours, hiking etc.

We did an overnight trip to Milford Sound. The bus ride was long, but got to see lots of interesting areas. The overnight boat cruise was very nice and it was cool to watch the sun rise over the tasmin (sp) sea.

17-Nov-15
I have a friend who traveled to NZ with his wife for a non-hunting trip and he said to not miss the Gloworm caves, Milford sound, and Stewart Island.

17-Nov-15
I have to agree with Queenstown and Milford Sound. I really liked the views over the Tasman Sea. We rented a car and drove along the east coast down to Queenstown and the views going through the rainforest to the west side. Watch out for the narrow bridges. First going through has the right away. Also, look for the banded cows.

You can make hotel arrangements or there are a ton of Bed and Breakfast places all over the island. There is a train that runs from Graystown back to Christchurch. Be prepared for some tremors in Christchurch.

Tahr and Chamois are the only real free range animals there. Most of the stags or Red Deer are penned up and let out to run in the pasture for you to "hunt" them. There are no predators like coyotes or bears on the island. If you have the time, get your hides and horns prepared by a taxidermist and take them back on the plan with you. My Tahr was sent to CO in a box via Federal Express or was it UPS. Make sure your boots are CLEAN before you go over there. They will check them and, if they have mud or poop on them they will delay you until they are clean.

You can walk from the airport in Oxnard to your departure gates (they have a painted line that you can follow) but it is a long walk. If you walk, make sure you have wheels on your luggage or you will regret walking.

NZ is one of my favorite places to visit.

17-Nov-15
When I was there I wish I would have done some fly fishing. They say its some of the best in the world! Queenstown is really nice. You can always add on animals to go after.

18-Nov-15
BPM and I brought our wives -- we had a great time hunting all the animals while our wives toured-- I'm sure your outfitter can arrange tours for you

18-Nov-15
"If you have the time, get your hides and horns prepared by a taxidermist and take them back on the plan with you. My Tahr was sent to CO in a box via Federal Express or was it UPS."

Bighorn, can you tell us what expediting service you used to get your Tahr shipped back to you? I'm also heading down to NZ next spring and want to have all arrangements figured out this winter. Thanks!

18-Nov-15
I used Coppersmith for my tahr and red stag. +2 on the clean boots. Loved the South Island and the people are very friendly.

19-Nov-15
There was a thread on here sometime back about brining hides back. I printed it and saved it I will see what I can find.

When I get to a regular computer I will post more. There is so much to see and do. My wife's loved it there.

25-Nov-15
INbowdude, Thanks for the recommendation for Coppersmith. I'll look into them after this weekend after I have a little more time.

bghunger, looking forward to any additional information you can share!

26-Nov-15
I can offer you suggestions but where will you be based and how much time do you have?

The distances in New Zealand aren't huge but travel times will probably be longer than you expect with our roads.

If you are up the Rangitata River there are easy access spots you can hunt tahr for free on public land.

26-Nov-15
I am planning to spend 5 days in Australia and another 5 in New Zealand. (plus my 8 days hiunting)

26-Nov-15
It should be a thread titled Back from New Zealand from back in 2012. It was posted by prezboys. He talks about how he got his hides back as carry on.

29-Nov-15
Ditto on the clean boots. They sent them through a washing machine causing us to miss our connecting flight from Auckland to Christchurch. Make sure your layover in San Fran or LA is long enough my luggage did not make the plane and I was without hunting clothes for over a day. Only 2 flights per day into NZ from the states. Queenstown wineries were a hit, same are is the Corona motel great place for lunch. If your daring enough you can bungy jump from a bridge or jet boat on the river. The taxidermist I contacted would not prep my hides to take with me. He told me he would need 2 plus weeks. He mounted them there and I had them shipped back. It was expensive but they cam out great.

29-Nov-15
I used Coppersmith to get my tahr, stag and fallow deer back.

05-Jan-16
My wife is starting to look into the tourist stuff. Any hotel recommendations in Queenstown? Would like another hunter's viewpoint and not just the travel agent's.

05-Jan-16
Medicineman did a good thread on NZ...worth a look

06-Jan-16
We stayed at peppers very close to everything right across from Lake clean and comfortable. We walked pretty much everywhere we wanted to go from this hotle.

There was an even c,oder one, but the name is escaping me. I recalled the reason we switched was the cost. It was much cheaper to stay at peppers and it was maybe a block or two walk difference.

You will love it enjoy the trip

06-Jan-16
4 months before going!!!! I am planning also to spend 5 days in Australia before hunting in New Zealand.

• Sitka Gear