mountainman 03-Apr-20
Spiral Horn 03-Apr-20
No Mercy 03-Apr-20
Spiral Horn 03-Apr-20
kota-man 03-Apr-20
Mike Ukrainetz 03-Apr-20
Hessticles 05-Apr-20
20-Nov-15
Does anyone know of anyone having completed the North American Archery - Bighorn Grand Slam - 2 times? (Rocky Mountain, Stones, Desert, & Dall)

I've got a buddy of mine working on his 2nd slam. I'm sure he is in pretty elite company right now as it is. Not sure if this has ever been done before and if it has, I'm sure there's no more than a handful of people to have completed this.

Anyone know where/how I could research this further?

20-Nov-15
Jim Ryan has done it and I think Tom Hoffman has to.

20-Nov-15

20-Nov-15
Several have done it with both firearm and archery as well.

There are a few rifle hunters that have done it, 8, 10 or more times also.

I'd be happy just to get to 1/2 with a Desert Ram.

20-Nov-15
I think Jack Frost had probably done it more than once.

Ditto what Mathewsman said on the desert.

20-Nov-15

20-Nov-15
Quite an acheivement for sure. I don't know any. Just an FYI, the Dall and Stone are generally not considered "bighorn" sheep.

20-Nov-15
has anyone does it faster than Jake. I'll bet never has and never will. How many days Jake?

20-Nov-15
Heat - Stones' and Dalls are both thinhorns - right?

20-Nov-15
Yes sir, that is how I hear them distinguished. The Ovis canadensis are the big horned species and the Ovis dalli are thin horned species.

20-Nov-15
Yes, SEVERAL guys have multiple archery slams on sheep. I think Tom Hoffman is working on #4.

Grand Slam Club posts this info in their monthly magazine.

Grant makes a good point. I don't know of anyone else but Jake that has done them all in less than a year.

coonazz...Correct terminology is either "Grand Slam" of North American Sheep or FNAWS - Four North American Wild Sheep depending on which organization is recognizing your achievement.

To further complicate your Bighorn vs. Thinhorn you can add Fannin Sheep which are classified as Stone sheep, but actually closer to Dall sheep in DNA. The Bighorns are California, Rocky Mountain and Desert. I'd like to kill all six some day. For FNAWs or the Grand Slam, you need two of the three Bighorns and a Dall and a Stone (or Fannin). Confused yet? :)

20-Nov-15
As I remember.....Jake did it in like 3 days including travel!

Mark

20-Nov-15
Kota, You forgot a Fannin is a Stone but sometimes you can call it a Dall.

20-Nov-15
There are also a quite a few that have done a Grand Slam in a single year. I think Sara B. did hers in one season.

Every now and then there is an update about a 8 or 10 year old kid that has taken there slam as well with a rifle.

20-Nov-15
Don't get me started on the Fannin thing Jim...;)

Archery Sheep Slams in one year HAVE to be few and far between...

Jake - If I haven't told you so before, coming from a guy that is 2 for 5 on sheep, getting all three in one year with a bow is an amazing accomplishment.

21-Nov-15
When Jake was getting his bow-Rams that fall was one of the greatest threads on the Bowsite ever!!

Good luck, Robb

21-Nov-15
My biggest regret was not documenting the first ram, (my Desert Bighorn) on Bowsite. I shot him on Super Bowl Sunday the year that the Giants ruined the Patiots bid for a perfect season....2008.

It only takes a few minutes to break out the phone, to make the call every night....but after chasing sheep around on the mountain all day, sometimes I was so caught up in hunt, or so tired, that I would almost forget to make the daily call. Additionally, sometimes the satellite phone would frustrate me by dropping the call, and I would have to retry a couple times before finally getting the daily update recorded (and sometimes I didn't know IF it got recorded).....and Pat's recording machine only records for about 2-3 minutes, so the call messages had to be compressed. I think that the call times varied as a function of the many other calls that Pat had received on a given day (solicitations for campaign contributions from Hiliary Clinton, interview requests from Rachel Maddow, etc)....so it was never the same.

For those of you that are considering a really interesting hunt, you might want to consider contacting Pat about doing a feature hunt. Obviously, he can't accomodate ALL requests....but I speak from experience when I tell you that being able to click on the daily reports and hear my own messages from the Polar Bear hunt, and the sheep hunts brings back memories....some of which I had forgotten.

21-Nov-15
Those were some great hunts Jake. Loved following along on those calls.

21-Nov-15
Fannin sheep are a color variation of Dall. They are not Stone sheep no matter what these organizations let you "pick". Reminds me of the Bruce/Kaitlin Jenner and the Rachél Dz@$%#@@ crap in the news. Genetics aren't a 'choice'......

21-Nov-15
Let's try again. How many days from kill one to kill 4 jake

21-Nov-15
The (first) Desert Bighorn was killed on 02/04/2008. The Dall was killed on 07/15/2008. The bighorn was killed in early August.....about the 8th or the 9th.... The (fourth) Stones Ram was killed on 08/26/2008. These dates are from memory, so I could be off by a couple days either way. But that will get you close.....

21-Nov-15
Wow. Less tHan 7 months with a bow. Unreal. Number one hunting Accomplishment of all time on his site as far as I see de.

21-Nov-15
So with not able to fly and hunt on the same day for some locations. whats the least time to take all four? Four days The new benchmark the first to do The Four in four!!!

21-Nov-15
Jake, great info, memories and thanks for taking us along on those journeys!!!!

And if I remember correctly, you killed your mountain goat somewhere in that mix didn't you?

Mark

21-Nov-15
Yeah, fine... but how many have taken the double turkey slam in one year??? heheheheh....

That was a great year on bowsite, pretty amazing. Jake even drew the bighorn tag with barely enough points to even be in the draw if I recall, a sliver of a chance to do that. The planets just aligned.....

"dates are from memory..." I think I'd have em tattooed on me somewhere wid li'l sheep pictures and I don't even do tats.... =D

I think bowsite's tthomas, Mr Foss has a couple archery slams? (small "s" for the litigious out there...) or is very close. A bucket of sheep anyway for sure.

26-Nov-15
TD, I'm thinking Tom has at least three archery sheep slams.

26-Nov-15
3 yrs ago Tthomas needed a Dall for his third......He had so much fun stacking up Deserts and helping his sons get their archery slam who knows where Team Foss sits.....it's alot of sheep for sure

02-Apr-20
Long bow Paul Schafer. http://www.schafersilvertipbows.com/looking-up-at-his-achievements

02-Apr-20
Frank Noska is working on his 3rd Super Slam, so he has at least 2.

03-Apr-20

Adventurewriter's embedded Photo
I Sculpt the official Grand Slam Bronze for GSCO. It can be customized and just recently di one for a guy who had a 1870 bar he wanted it as center piece. The wood was different than this but the same bronze turned out cool. This is a big version and 36 inches long. the Smaller version is like 11 inches long.

03-Apr-20

Found some pic's of the other wood custom job...it matches the guys wood theme

03-Apr-20
I talk to jack frost every now and then and I'm pretty sure he has done it twice

03-Apr-20
Tom is either on 4 or has completed four so far.

03-Apr-20
I think Frank Noska has done it twice.

03-Apr-20
My hat’s off to Jake and all who’ve completed the Grand Slam of North American Wild Sheep. Jack Frost was the first to complete it via archery. And, according to GSCO records there have been a total of 75 Archery Grand Slams to date.

However, most guys who complete the Grand Slam of NAWS don’t go right back to trying to do it again, but go on to complete other Grand Slam Club Ovis Challenges, such as:

Ovis World Slam = 12 of the recognized Wild Sheep of the World - Tom Hoffman, Archie Nesbitt, and Jack Frost have all complete it via archery

Capra World Slam = 12 of the recognized Wild Goats of the World. To date 6 archers have done it - Archie Nesbitt, Tom Hoffman, Gary Bogner, Pedro Ampuero, Ricardo Longoria, and Jack Frost

Triple Slam = Grand Slam NAWS, Ovis World Slam, and Capra World Slam all complete. Archers to do it - Archie Nesbitt, Tom Hoffman, Jack Frost (2019)

Slam Quest Pinnacle = Triple Slam + Super Slam (NA 29). Archers to do it - Archie Nesbitt and Tom Hoffman

Pantheon Award = Grand Slam NAWS + Ovis Super 30 (30 species of Wild Sheep) + Capra Super 30 + SCI World Conservation and Hunting Award (100% of every possible SCI Milestone and Inner Circles). Only archer to do it = Archie Nesbitt

Since bowsite folks are always curious and asking about these species and awards, suggest joining Grand Slam Club Ovis would answer all questions. Certain they’d welcome any of us.

03-Apr-20
Kota used to be my hero here, but Jake is my new hero. WOW! Sorry Cory-you're out.

03-Apr-20
Just for the record, we’re allowed to have more than one hero. Cory is still one of mine, so are Jake, Ricardo, and a number of others who haunt Bowsite. There are quite a few very accomplished worldwide hunters here.

03-Apr-20
HA...You two have some low "hero" standards! :) Jake's accomplishment is one of my favorite stories to tell people with regard to hunting accomplishments. Spiral Horn...Don't cut yourself short, everything you've accomplished in your hunting career thus far is phenomenal. Hunting Hero worthy no doubt.

Frank Noska is closing in on his THIRD North American 29/Super Slam. A feat that will not be reached by many. To complete the Super Slam is an amazing accomplishment in itself with any weapon. To do it with a bow is a whole other level. To do it THREE times with a bow is just plain extraordinary.

03-Apr-20
And I believe Archie shot a whisker biscuit for a lot of those kills!

05-Apr-20
Jack has done it twice for sure, I think he completed the world slam this last fall.

• Sitka Gear