Hogs
Contributors to this thread:
Zebrakiller 07-Dec-15
Zebrakiller 07-Dec-15
arctichill 08-Dec-15
Zebrakiller 08-Dec-15
Fuzzy 08-Dec-15
07-Dec-15
We have two young girls joining us in camp this weekend hunting hogs anyone ever do anything special for the kids in camp to make there weekend a weekend not to forget?

07-Dec-15
How old are the girls, and will they be hunting as well? That will help determine our suggestions.

07-Dec-15
Yes one 12 one 9 both hunting with crossbow this weekend, Thanks

08-Dec-15
Good deal! Some things I liked to do with the kids is taking them out to look for things we ordinarily wouldn't be looking for. Walking the creek beds looking for artifacts (fossils, arrowheads, etc.) is always fun. At night, we go out with flashlights and try to hunt down armadillos and catch them by the tail (they're harmless as long as you hold them out away from you so they can't scratch you ). If there's a pond nearby, you could always do a little afternoon fishing between hunts as well. I'm sure I don't need to mention this part, but make sure to keep it fun and no pressure to kill something. Too many adults put pressure on their kids to shoot, and not every kid is ready for their first animal. A lot of them just enjoy being out with their parents or grandparents doing something they both enjoy. Just enjoy the time sitting together and if it all comes together, well, that's just the icing on the cake. Oh, and make sure to let them take the lead on the bloodtrail. It may be painstakingly slow, and you may see the blood up ahead of them, but that's part of what makes the recovery so fulfilling. When the kids earn their trophy they really seem to appreciate it that much more. Good luck with the kiddos and hope you have a fun hunt!

08-Dec-15

arctichill's embedded Photo
arctichill's embedded Photo
Nothing better than hunting with kids. My daughter drew an awesome cow elk tag this year. During our hunt, in a glassing session I spotted a set of sheds from a distance. When we left our perch to move to a new area I purposely passed by those sheds so she could find them. She didn't kill an elk, but we had an awesome time and have a cool set of elk sheds to help remind us of our time together on that hunt. You can't always plan how to make the hunt special for the kids. As long as you keep in mind that what is important is the kid's experience, most hunts will afford you the opportunity to capitalize on one or more opportunities to accomplish that goal. Have fun!

08-Dec-15
thanks Im sure they will have a great time

08-Dec-15
don't underestimate the value of card games. Even digital kids (after some whining) usually like playing cards.

S'mores over the campfire is a memory maker, as is roasting tenderloin chunks. I've seen some pretty "urban" kids get reall pumped about "caveman cooking"

• Sitka Gear