HuntHard 15-Dec-15
Wayne Helmick 15-Dec-15
wild1 15-Dec-15
HuntHard 15-Dec-15
Genesis 15-Dec-15
Charlie Rehor 16-Dec-15
T Mac 16-Dec-15
09-Dec-15
So I have been out of work since June. Long story short it has been an extremely tough year for my wife and I. I have come close in a few interviews but no offers yet.

Thank goodness for hunting season....take my mind off of the hardship and I LOVE IT!!!

I am broke and have no money...literally. The farm I hunt is loaded with coons and I am looking to trap a few and do some cased pelts in my spare time which is 24/7.

Does anyone have 2-3 raccoon footholds (dog proof) traps laying around they are not using for the season? If so, would you be so kind as to let me borrow them for a month or two? I will pay for the shipping to and from you. This bowsite favor would be greatly appreciated from one hunter to another.

I have a 6 yote footholds and cant even use those because I don't have money for bait and lure. At least with the coon traps I could use cat food or tuna and stuff in the kitchen.

If your awesome and are interested please shoot me private message. My hope is someone on here has them buried in the garage or basement and forgot about them. I don't want to inconvenience anyone who plans or even thinks about using them.

Thanks.

09-Dec-15
Man, I'm sorry to hear that you are out of work. That has got to be a tough one. What part of the country are you located in?

So, as to your question..... have you tried making coyote bait yourself? If you know a farrier, you could ask for the frogs from his horse trimmings. Let those steep in some water for a week or two..... it works excellently.

Also, if you can shoot a rabbit.... use their guts as bait. This has been my most successful coyote bait ever used.

As far as Coons are concerned.... what I'm going to tell you is.... controversial in some circles. I've used it to great success though. Find a large log or fallen tree. Take a 1" hole saw or paddle bit and drill a hole into the log about 4-6". Take your bait and put a healthy amount into the hole. Then take 4 framing nails and nail them into the log in a diagonal manner so that they enter the hole about 1" from the top. you should drive these in so that the opening is large enough for a coon to fit his hand in, but not extract it once he has made a fist.

Check these sets daily, and you will have coons.

If you have wire or cord, you can make some sweet snares too. Since you have a computer... and internet access, you might youtube "Primitive Snares".

I have made some T-Bar snares and used them to great success. Here is a link to some popular snare choices. http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/gallery/survival/2013/03/how-build-trap-15-best-survival-traps

Just make sure that if you use cord, it is strong enough to support 50-60lbs.

Best of Luck and post some pictures of your success.

Austin

09-Dec-15
I do not have any DP's but I could send you a half doz snares if you can use them....

I agree on the yote bait check out trapperman forums, lots of easy homemade baits to make.

09-Dec-15
I was out of work twice in my 32 year career and even though one of those two times was right smack in the middle of deer hunting season getting a job to continue to support my family and hunting habit was the MAIN focus. Hunting was NOT fun that year and can actually be used as an "avoidance" to getting back to work.

I am sure this is not what you want to hear but for me personally hunting when I didn't have a job was not very much fun. Good Luck and keep banging the phones and sending out the resume. It will happen and you will get something good. Good Luck C

09-Dec-15
Charlies' right. This year anyway, raccoon hides values are in the toilet. With all the time you'll put into putting up fat, greasy coons for a couple of bucks, you could make more money delivering pizzas or newspapers.

09-Dec-15
Charlie, I told my in laws who know I LOVE hunting season that this year is not even enjoyable. The heart is heavy. Yeah I love being out in the woods but there is just a massive weight on me at all times.

Not doing the pelts go money just something to keep the mind occupied.

09-Dec-15
Been there as Charlie, this is the time to think out of the box in making money; this is what drove me in self-employment. Understand being out in the hunt or woods just need to set priorities and do what it takes and it will work out. Have a friend that is an avid coon hunter and the hides have really dropped, but something is better than nothing.

09-Dec-15
I understand what you are saying and know it's a challenging time for you but when you get that job and move ahead you will be very proud of yourself. Getting your next job is your full time job right now, Don't put it off! I certainly don't know your circumstances or skill sets but there is a way forward. PM if you want to tell me your circumstances and maybe I can make some recomendations.

Ps: I see you are from Indiana and the economy is not bad there relative to some other states.

09-Dec-15
Coons are easy to catch with just peanut butter. You can buy a whole jar for 3 bucks. Just use the traps you have now and put them in front of a log and stick the peanut butter in a hole.

10-Dec-15
Locally here in NW PA there is a big demand for skilled labor in plastic and metal parts manufacturing. The demand is big enough that many employers are willing to pay through an on the job training period. I have no idea if this sort of work is available where you are at or if it totally doesn't fit your skill set.

10-Dec-15
"I was out of work twice in my 32 year career and even though one of those two times was right smack in the middle of deer hunting season getting a job to continue to support my family and hunting habit was the MAIN focus. Hunting was NOT fun that year and can actually be used as an "avoidance" to getting back to work. I am sure this is not what you want to hear but for me personally hunting when I didn't have a job was not very much fun. Good Luck and keep banging the phones and sending out the resume. It will happen and you will get something good. Good Luck C"

This X 2.

I'm not preaching and, surely not judging anyone here. But, work is work and fun is fun. Fun comes after work. There are a lot of jobs all over this country. Most are not glamorous. Most will require travel. Most will require time away from home. It is just the way it is when the leaders of our country decided over 20 years ago that NAFTA was a great thing.

I live in a state that is resource based. Mainly coal. Coal has been hit hard by this administration. Gas industry will follow in time. Timber will be close behind. No state in this country has been harder hit than WV. A good bit of the people that have found their self out of work here, travel and work now. That could be me tomorrow. So, I'm not lecturing. What I am saying is get a job.

If it has been that hard and that depressing, fix the problem. Get your CDL's, etc... Move to the work. There are currently options out there for you if the situation is that dire. You aren't going to find these jobs while in the woods deer hunting or trapping. Good luck and God Bless

10-Dec-15
I have an excellent career and enjoy what I do for a living. I gave up a very good job with a great company to start my own firm. It didnt work as I was unsuccessful locking up a client.

What I do is very specialized and almost niche. The jobs are out there but far and few between. I came close 3 times this year as these Managers called to tell me I was there #2 choice. All of these were six figures annually.

I will land a job eventually and if that requires moving so be it. but yeah a very tough season of life for sure.

I have a very big interview this coming tuesday....prayers would be appreciated.

Back to the topic....I am going to try the peanut butter.

10-Dec-15
HuntHard go to trapperman.com and ask the guys there. You will be flooded with traps and advice on homemade baits.

Give me your address by pm.

11-Dec-15
"What I do is very specialized and almost niche. The jobs are out there but far and few between"

I'll ask what others are also wondering...What is it you do, when you are working?

13-Dec-15
I regards to your original post and question pm me and they will be in the mail tomarrow. Not sure of your area or location but 220s set on trails are hard to beat . Coon prices aren't great but muskrats are pretty good about the same effort for either let me know I have a bunch of gear I am not currently using .

13-Dec-15
Trapping responsibly with 2 foothold traps is a losing proposition.....

Learn to snare....even that is a tough vs oddjobs ...Hope you hit paydirt this tuesday....

Like the others I would have to set the bat down in between swings for the 6 figure fence and pick up a hammer and a paint brush.

14-Dec-15
I don't think he's trying to earn a living trapping coons. It sounds like he just wants to borrow a few traps to catch a couple coons to make a couple tanned pelts which takes time. Which he has a lot of right now. HuntHard, just use your coyote traps. There are lots of things in your fridge you can use for bait. Or go catch a couple fish for dinner and use all the scraps for bait. Good luck. Show us the end result and good luck with the job. When I retired from the Air Force a few years ago I was unemployed for a year and it should have been awesome because I finally had the time to do anything I wanted but was only getting a third of the money. It was a blessing and a curse. Again, good luck.

15-Dec-15
So how did the interview go today? Did you get the job? Sure hope so!

If not here's a lead on a job search book I used that may help you: "Rites of Passage at a $100,000+"

15-Dec-15
Charlie, interview went very well. As far as on my end I could not have done any better. Probably one of my best interviews ever. They recieved me well and my answers. Now it is in the hands of the Lord. His will be done. I should hear within a week I am guessing.

15-Dec-15
Good luck. It is a stressful time. Wish you the best. Now go catch a coon and chronicle the process. It would be interesting.

15-Dec-15
Get a "Lil Grizz Getter" and bait it with marshmallows. Guaranteed to work!

15-Dec-15
I got the call........I got the job!!!!! Heck yeah, close one chapter in life and turn to the next one. Man what a relief to my wife and I.

15-Dec-15
Congrats on "snaring" the new job!

16-Dec-15
Awesome news! Your in laws will be happy:)

Now change your handle to "WorkHard" and get rid of the traps!!

16-Dec-15
Great news congrats! What a great way to start the New Year!

• Sitka Gear