Mule Power 13-Dec-15
bearbaiter 13-Dec-15
steve hay 13-Dec-15
bearbaiter 13-Dec-15
houndy65 14-Dec-15
houndy65 14-Dec-15
dgb 14-Dec-15
12-Dec-15
what kind of boots you guys recommend for going on a cougar hunt in the mountains. I live on flat land and just wear muck boots. was curious if they'll do the job or if i'll need a more stronger boot..

i already did order some gaitor boot covers though at least.

12-Dec-15

Kevin Dill's embedded Photo
Kevin Dill's embedded Photo
Zamberlan Vioz 1012 GT

I know of 2 guys who bought these boots new and had very little opportunity to break them in. They took them on separate hunts in Alaska (rugged terrain in both cases) and beat them hard. No sore feet and no blisters. No wetness. 100% glowing reports..."I would buy them again in an instant", etc. They are not sheep boots really: think mule deer, elk, lions etc.

12-Dec-15
I wouldn't wear Muck boots on a cat hunt personally. I would think you'd be way ahead of the game in a boot like Kevin recommended above. I wore Lowa Extreme Hunters on my cat hunts with gaitors and they worked great.

12-Dec-15
I like my Lowa Extreme Hunters as well. The first year we went elk hunting I had my regular leather boots that I wear for whitetails and my son had his Lowa extreme hunters. I was slipping all over the place. So the following year I bought my Lowas. Much better, the vibram soles and stiffer ankle support were much better for this old man.

12-Dec-15
Don't wear MUCKS for the love of god.

12-Dec-15
Muck boots will work if your cat trees in gentle country 300 yards from the road. If your cat trees a mile from the road in steep rugged country you'll wish you had different boots. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

13-Dec-15
No to the Mucks or Lacrosse style boots. You want something that will lace up snug and give you more total support.

I won't bother recommending anything because there are as many opinions as shoe sizes since we all have different feet.

Never heard of those Kevin. They look very similar to Kenetreks. I'll have to check it out.

Bearbaiter you might consider taking a walking stick too. They come in really handy when the snow gets deep. They can help you up & down hills and probe to see where you're stepping. Lions like steep rocky stuff and it can be really helpful there.

13-Dec-15
ya thanks for input guys i ordered the zamberlan vioz gtx rr boots. and ya mule power i was thinking of that and will be getting a walking stick.

13-Dec-15
Regardless of boot kind the one thing that has saved me on cat hunts is the strap on ice grippers. When running on snow and rocks these little things save my legs and footing preventing me from sliding down and around and kept me going. They are cheap and tough, at least buying a pair and throwing them in your pack and using them if you continue to slip and slide.

13-Dec-15
yup already got a pair.

14-Dec-15

houndy65's embedded Photo

14-Dec-15

these are hoffman boots with the predator sole. these are by far the best boot to wear cat hunting I have found, all though we are using all cat season, not just one hunt.

14-Dec-15
I have a pair of the Zamberlan's shown above by Kevin - love them. Got them on sale at Backcountry a few months ago for $235 delivered.

• Sitka Gear