Zbone 24-Dec-15
HUNT MAN 24-Dec-15
John Haeberle 24-Dec-15
LKH 24-Dec-15
LKH 24-Dec-15
mixed bag 07-Jan-16
LKH 07-Jan-16
24-Dec-15
My son and I are looking at a 2017 trip to Alaska, and, since it's nearly 2016 now, we need to do some heavy-duty research, so ... I'm doing the obvious thing: Ask Bowsite!

Ideally (for work and school and to make room for elk hunting) we'd go in August, and therein lies the problem.

Is it reasonable to hunt Alaskan caribou, DIY, in August, and if so, what herd would you target?

I've hunted the Mulchatna herd in August before -- but that was back when there WAS a Mulchatna herd, and I'm sure the game is far different in different corners of the state.

Alternatively, we could push the trip into September, compromising a bit on those other important activities, or consider an August blacktail hunt further south.

These are my thoughts at the moment, sure to change, but what are Bowsite's thoughts after hearing this?

24-Dec-15
I believe the black bear season starts late august. might be an option?

24-Dec-15
John

I dont think some people realize you live in Wyoming and have some 'pretty good' hunting not far from where you live... ha ha!

Spike bull / cow elk in Utah??? Scoff scoff!!

24-Dec-15

wildwilderness's Link
August is early for caribou, tons of bugs, and the best areas are only allowing for 1 bull for NR.

I would totally do a Sitka Blacktail hunt on Kodiak!

read this thread:

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread-print.cfm?threadid=339313&forum=7

I would do it every year if I could find the time to go on multiple trips. With the mild winters the past few years it should be good.

24-Dec-15
Yeah, I think I'm good on cow elk opportunities. (Thanks, though, for the suggestion.) August here generally means archery pronghorn and rifle cow elk, and scouting for archery bulls.

I'm really just looking for anyone with experience hunting caribou in August, recently, who'd be willing to share the "Ups and Downs" of choosing August over September.

As an alternative, we would consider September caribou or August blacktails, but each of those options has some significant downsides for us, so we're really hoping to find that August caribou are still "do-able".

24-Dec-15
What are the downsides to August Sitkas?

24-Dec-15
John,

I was in AK back in late August, hunting above treeline in the Fortymile region. There are plenty of caribou around then; some coming out of velvet and some not. The bugs were totally a non-issue. I hunted a particularly superb hideaway which was game-rich. I had run-ins with big bulls (caribou), wolves, Dall sheep and grizzlies there. I also spotted black bears and moose. I'd rate that trip as probably a top-tenner and will do it again. In that area you can harvest one caribou and black bear, plus wolves.

24-Dec-15
"What are the downsides to August Sitkas?" Not much, really, except that they aren't caribou. Caribou would be the primary reason for going to AK. If August caribou aren't going to work out, we would CONSIDER blacktails, but I put this thread on the caribou forum because we would really prefer to hunt caribou.

Also, I've been talking to a friend about a November blacktail hunt in the next 3-5 years anyway, so it would somewhat "duplicate" my long-range planning. Not a deal-killer, but caribou are what got us talking about a trip.

24-Dec-15
Did not know Utah had OTC cow/spike tags... Thanks for the info Charlie...

I assume the season is short?

24-Dec-15

HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
HUNT MAN's embedded Photo
I spent 2 weeks this last summer hunting caribou on the north slope. August 21- sept 3. No bugs at all more snow than bugs. It is flat on the north side of the brooks and if you are set on bow only I would look some where else. I also took my Dad great trip. When time allows I will post a thread on the trip and what I learned. Hunt

24-Dec-15
Re: Caribou in the Brooks in August

Are they up high, to the north on the coast, or where?

Anything accessible from Fairbanks would be great, saving transportation to the other spots on your list. (Though I have to admit, traveling to some of the smaller communities in AK would be part of the "adventure".)

I'm assuming that large herds are not the norm in August.

24-Dec-15

LKH's embedded Photo
LKH's embedded Photo
You should read the article in the Anchorage paper about decline in the Western Arctic caribou herd. May explain the steady decline in the numbers of bou for the Haul Road hunt.

Was sheep hunting 80 miles north of Tok this last 8-21 August. We saw bou every day including some decent bulls and a few very big ones. Flew out with 40 Mile air out of Tok. Expensive but they are honest and reliable. The enclosed pic was taken by my son without telephoto. I had a tag, but have killed a lot of bou and wasn't going to pay the flyout for anything except a monster.

24-Dec-15

LKH's embedded Photo
LKH's embedded Photo
Here's the next shot after the camera recycled.

07-Jan-16
Did caribou with 40 mile end of August 3 years ago and had a great trip.It is bowhunter friendly area as well.You willseealot of other Ak game as well;grizzly,wolf,dall sheep and moose I would recommend booking an extra gear flight.Makes camping a lot nicer/comfortable then dealing with a 50lb weight limit

07-Jan-16
We did 14 days with 50 pounds and still had a lot of food left. I did the trip in 2000 when my brother and I had tags and we paid for the extra trip. It was later and much colder so it turned out fine.

Trouble is they want $800 for a gear flight. That's also the bou flighout cost.

• Sitka Gear