onX Maps
any mountain lions down this winter yet?
cougar
Contributors to this thread:
bearbaiter 27-Dec-15
PAstringking 27-Dec-15
Bowboy 27-Dec-15
skinner creek 27-Dec-15
trapperwilliams 27-Dec-15
Stixbow 27-Dec-15
Bou'bound 27-Dec-15
trapperwilliams 27-Dec-15
Bou'bound 27-Dec-15
'Ike' (Phone) 27-Dec-15
BULELK1 28-Dec-15
PAstringking 28-Dec-15
SteveB 28-Dec-15
Dennis Razza 28-Dec-15
Mark Watkins 28-Dec-15
Fuzzy 28-Dec-15
Fuzzy 28-Dec-15
Alexis Desjardins 28-Dec-15
PAstringking 28-Dec-15
PAstringking 28-Dec-15
PAstringking 28-Dec-15
PAstringking 28-Dec-15
SDHNTR(home) 29-Dec-15
bigswivle 29-Dec-15
Nick Muche 29-Dec-15
Pyrannah 29-Dec-15
PAstringking 29-Dec-15
SteveB 29-Dec-15
Pyrannah 29-Dec-15
Bou'bound 29-Dec-15
SteveB 29-Dec-15
smarba 29-Dec-15
FullCryHounds 29-Dec-15
FullCryHounds 29-Dec-15
FullCryHounds 29-Dec-15
27-Dec-15
just want to hear how people making out so far this winter, i'm headin up next week in kremmling colorado.

27-Dec-15

PAstringking's embedded Photo
Got this one in southern Utah two weeks ago. Great hunt

27-Dec-15
Nice cat congrats!

27-Dec-15

skinner creek's embedded Photo
skinner creek's embedded Photo
Killed this one with a client on Christmas Eve

27-Dec-15

trapperwilliams's embedded Photo
trapperwilliams's embedded Photo
Killed Dec 17th

27-Dec-15
Trapper any idea on the size of that cat? Either you're short or that thing is a tank haha congrats.

27-Dec-15
Trapper who did you get that car with

27-Dec-15
Not sure on the weight all I know is it was big and heavy!!! I got him in alberta with Byron Stewart.

27-Dec-15
There was never a doubt

27-Dec-15
Way to go Chris! Congrats guys...

28-Dec-15
Damn nice PA !

Good luck, Robb

28-Dec-15
Thanks guys. It was a fun hunt that I wanted to check off the bucket list for some time. Hunted hard for 6 days trying to find a fresh big Tom lion track. It seemed Mother Nature was on my side with great weather but lady luck seemed to always be against me until day 6.

On these hunts...like any hunt really...your hunt can turn around in a matter of seconds. That anxiety and anticipation is what keeps me coming back for more!!

Chris

28-Dec-15
PAstringking: I'll bet you're addicted now 'eh? I never have done cats, but did bear with hounds last May and it was an absolute thrill. WOuld do it again in a heartbeat! Cant wait to do a quality cat hunt!

Great cat!

28-Dec-15
Great looking cats guys! Had a few clients bring cats in last week. From the guys I have talked with the hunting has been good so far. Good luck!

28-Dec-15
Great cats!

Trapper, huge doesn't describe your cat accurately!

Mark

28-Dec-15
envious.

28-Dec-15
envious.

28-Dec-15
That's some nice cats guys, I am hoping to get one of those one day.

28-Dec-15

Just wanted to post some more pictures for everyone thinking of pulling the trigger on a cat hunt...

28-Dec-15

28-Dec-15

28-Dec-15

Last pic and my favorite...

29-Dec-15
Wow! Fabulous photos!

29-Dec-15
holy crap!!!! Those pictures are amazing!!!

29-Dec-15
Awesome pictures!

29-Dec-15
i dont know anything about hunting with dogs but why are lions and bears scared of them? one swipe with thise big ass paws, those dogs are dead... what gives?

thanks

29-Dec-15
Pyrannah... You have to remember that you are an intelligent human who knows the ability of both animals.

The cat only knows that he is outnumbered 1 to 6 and doesn't want to find out if he is a better fighter.

29-Dec-15
Beautiful pics PAstringking! Especially that last one!

29-Dec-15
it obviously works... but man that cat could mess them dogs up!!!

thanks for the pics

ven

29-Dec-15
That cat could mess up a bull elk or young moose, and probably has done I numerous time. those dogs are outclassed but the cat does not know it.

29-Dec-15
I can tell you that after seeing SKinner Creeks dogs in action repeatedly on bears (and some big ones), that they certainly do initiate the flight response in critters. At a treed bear, the dogs are going completely bonkers and I don't blame the bears or cats for getting as high up a tree as they can to get away from the chaos. Those dogs mean business. I've seen some youtube videos of dogs on bears (even grizzly) that have been geared up with GoPros and its amazing just how fearless good dogs are during a chase. That said, if a bear or a cat really wanted to take one on, it would likely be no contest. I think it's the pack of dogs that does it....much like wolves on a moose or elk. One might not be a problem, but a pack is accurately perceived as real trouble.

29-Dec-15
Fantastic photos PAstringking!

I killed a large Tom a few years ago (pistol; circumstances would not allow archery shot) that was chased and then bayed on a cliff by only 3 hounds. As others I was amazed that the cat didn't just systematically take out each dog with one swipe, but also as stated, the dogs worked as a team/pack. Every time the cat would lunge toward one, another would rush his tail and grab his attention. Eventually the cat simply ignored the dogs and they just eyed each other from a short distance.

The dogs truly are fearless, although when no cat is around they are as quiet and mellow as the best behaved of pet dogs.

Also as others have stated, these are all animals without human intellect or emotions. My tom didn't seem to be afraid in the least; certainly not terrified and cowering like a human would be when cornered by dogs. And it obviously lacked the intelligence to decide "I'll just kill the first dog and ignore the one trying to gnaw my tail, and THEN turn around and take out that second one..."

29-Dec-15
It is true that having several dogs is better then just one dog for a lot of reasons, several that have been mentioned. You will almost always catch more cats with fewer (experience) dogs then 6-8 average dogs. But the ideal situation with dogs is rare. In 35 years of running hounds, I've only had the perfect setup with number and experience in dogs for about a year. So you almost always have young dogs that you are getting lined out. This dog has treed 3 lions by himself in the past several weeks. Not by design, just by circumstance.

Some nice cats and great pics on this post too!

29-Dec-15

FullCryHounds's embedded Photo

29-Dec-15

• Sitka Gear