moch 28-Jan-16
Ziek 28-Jan-16
Buffalo1 28-Jan-16
Rock 28-Jan-16
Halibutman 28-Jan-16
Lechwe 29-Jan-16
crestedbutte 29-Jan-16
27-Jan-16
What do taxidermist use to color Antelope horn or do they even use anything? I've got a set that look dull and want to brighten them up because I'm thinking of making a knife out of them. Thanks.

27-Jan-16
Some taxis on here, but I can tell you that they paint them with something, because they seem to start fading as soon as they hit the ground.

27-Jan-16
I use a blend of linseed oil and paint thinner on my euro mounts.

27-Jan-16
Ya there nice an black until ya kill them then they fade away. Damn them lopes are strange critters!

27-Jan-16
Must remember that the horns are really strands of hair. Totally different than antlers.

27-Jan-16
Not sure how good of a knife handle they would make, might want to check into that since they are just "caps"

28-Jan-16
Sheaths and I've already worked through that problem. Just looking for coloring or stain to use.

28-Jan-16
Black liquid shoe polish works for me.

28-Jan-16
I mist them slightly with an air brush and black dye, not going near the tips.

28-Jan-16
try Dark Brown Lather Dye from Tandy's. works great as they are not truly Black but a very dark Brown. I also add a small amount of black dye to the brown to get just the right color.

28-Jan-16
My taxidermist just recommends mineral oil for pronghorn mounts. That's all I use about once a year and they look natural.

28-Jan-16
I have been told that WD-40 also helps to restore the color. Spray & wipe.

28-Jan-16
I have never put anything on any of mine, have never noticed any fading and I have a lot of them. Guess I will have to take a look at them after seeing this but I would think I would have noticed it if there was much of a change.

28-Jan-16
All mine are BLACK.

29-Jan-16
I use black shoe polish also but not the liquid.

29-Jan-16
Old English...and you're done!

• Sitka Gear