Orion 28-Jan-16
Mtgoat 28-Jan-16
Wayne Helmick 29-Jan-16
Treeline 29-Jan-16
Mtgoat 29-Jan-16
Fuzzy 01-Feb-16
Zbone 01-Feb-16
27-Jan-16
I'm hoping some of you can offer some advice on cooking mountain lion, but first, let me tell you my story.

We had our 6 year old grandson for a few hours on a Saturday and, in the interest of keeping the boy on the right track, took him to the International Sportsmen's Show in Denver. As you can imagine, it was all about keeping him entertained with no time to talk to all of those interesting exhibitors, except for one. I spent 1 maybe 2 minutes talking with him about mountain lion hunting.

I was sufficiently intrigued that I went back on Sunday afternoon and had a serious conversation. On Wednesday evening, I talked with him about a hunt for mountain lion hunting (thinking next fall). He proposed going now, but I explained that I had too much going on at work.

Friday morning, he called my cell to tell me that he was going to ruin my day. That morning they had found where a big tom had crossed a road (actually a trail). He suggested that I get there right away. I tried to turn him down, but he wouldn't take no for an answer (I so glad he didn't - he really knew what he was doing.)

So, after debating for an hour or so, I called him back and said that I'd be there as soon as I could. By then it was too late to be able to go after the cat on the same day. On Saturday, he had 2 of his guides start checking for the cat - looking for any fresh tracks (signs that it had left the area). Finally, they turned the dogs loose. It took the dogs a couple of hours to tree the cat. From the GPS, it appeared that they had it treed once and that it had jumped.

Once they were sure it had been treed (about 1:30 PM) he sent one of the guides who had been out since 1:00 in the morning to go back and see if it was a tom. To give context, the area was very steep with knee-deep snow. After quite awhile, the guide radio that he could see the cat. He was asked if it was a male. He responded by saying, "Let me get around where I can see better." The next message over the radio was "Holy shit! He's a toad!!!" Again, he was asked if it was a male. He said that he couldn't see but by the size of it, it had to be a male.

We began the hike in. It took 2 hours to get to the cat. It was an easy shot. It fell from the tree; made 3 bounds; flipped in the air and died. It was a huge tom. I finally had the mountain lion that I had wanted for so long.

The guides and outfitter were all excited (a good sign). There was debate about the weight. Later the outfitter told me privately that the cat weighed 200 - 210 lbs.

Several years ago, I was given some mountain lion meat. My wife, who is usually open minded about such things, really didn't like it. Before I left on this hunt she told me that she didn't want any lion meat and she wouldn't have any part in preparing it. So... I only brought 1 backstrap home. One of my sons is willing to partake with me. However, I normally rely on my wife for all things in the kitchen (except for smoking meat). Now, I'm on my own and out of my element.

Can any of you provide any advice about what to do with this single backstrap? Thanks.

27-Jan-16
I forgot to mention that the outfitter was QRS Outdoor Specialties in Meeker, CO

27-Jan-16
In the rush to get to Meeker, I forgot to pack my camera and head lamp (had to walk out in the dark). I'll post photos after the outfitter sends them to me.

27-Jan-16
The recipe that I love....

1 Grill Mates packet from the grocery store (I liked the zesty herb or tomatoe, garlic, basil)

Some oil, water and vinegar in with tenderloin and seasoning. Let marinate for 2 hours.

Grill slow to an internal temp of 135 degrees. I will bet that she will try it again as it tastes like the best pork you ever ate.

27-Jan-16
Use a Jaccard to tenderize it. I know it is a tenderloin....but the Jaccard will make it even better....in addition to tenderizing the meat, it will increase permeability if you choose to marinate the meat.

Don't be surprised if you regret not bringing more of the meat home.....

28-Jan-16
PAstringking X2. It won't tast like chicken.

28-Jan-16
Same as I do most game I've taken. Backstraps cut 3/4" thick and pounded out to 1/4". Salt pepper, dredged in flour then fried in olive oil. Guys at deer camp were fighting over the last piece.

28-Jan-16
You definitely are going to be pissed you didn't bring all of the meat. My buddy killed one the end of December and cooked some a couple of weeks ago. He wrapped the backstrap in bacon and smoked it. It was unbelievable.

28-Jan-16
I've cooked shoulders like this:

3-6 pound lion roast (shoulder cut, bone-in)

Coat roast with a good pork style dry rub. I prefer one that contains some brown sugar.

In a cast iron dutch oven, heat 1/8 cup olive oil to "sizzle" temp, reduce heat, sear roast on as many surfaces as possible.

Add two, peeled, quartered large sweet onions

Add 1 can (12 ounces) light lager beer (Budweiser is great for this as it's not fit for drinking)

place dutch oven, covered, in pre-heated 300 degree oven.

cook 4-6 hours, the meat will be "pull" tender, remove and debone, add a dash of worchestershire sauce to the dutch oven drippings and reduce on high for 5 minutes serve with "pot drippings" sauce and cooked onions on the side

28-Jan-16
Congrats!!!

Best wild game meat ever ate in my life was cougar meat Montana outfitter Del Cameron's wife's made back in 1978, but haven't a clue her recipe or how it was cooked...

28-Jan-16
Great in stir fry. Congrats on your lion!

28-Jan-16
However you cook it you're going to want to cook it to a minimum of 160 degrees. Mountain lions can carry trichinosis.

28-Jan-16
I dont have any recipes but id love to see the pic of your lion. Congrats!!

28-Jan-16
Best meat in North America. Cook it any way you'd like, it's all great. Shame you and so many others leave the meat behind. It should be required to be salvaged just like all ungulates, but there is some sort of stigma and most places meat salvage isn't required.

Here in NM hunter must be present entire time hounds are turned loose.

28-Jan-16
Congrats on your cat...

These are the 2015-2016 regs:

"5. NEW! Hunters must be present when dogs are released and must be an active participant until the hunt ends. 6. After a lion is pursued, treed, cornered or held at bay, you must kill or release the lion. It is illegal to prevent a lion from escaping so that someone not in your hunting party can kill it."

28-Jan-16
Hmm to follow Surfbow from 2015-16 regs:

Rule 8. All edible parts of lions must be properly prepared for human consumption, excluding internal organs.

28-Jan-16
someone didn't read the regulations

28-Jan-16
Guys, I said that I only brought home one backstrap. I didn't say the rest was left the field. There were 5 of us. Two old guys and 3 young ones. The 3 young bucks skinned and quartered the cat and packed it out. (Not a small job.) I gave the rest of the meat to the outfitter to divide up as he saw fit.

Yes, I was there when the dogs were released. It was all done by the book.

29-Jan-16
Saw one hit on the road this morning on my way to work about 4 miles from my house. Wanted to throw it in the trunk so bad it hurt. Called the game wardens instead so they could do all their testing. Would have loved to have the hide and slapped the backstrap on the grill but didn't feel like going to jail today or using my tag on a small lion. Love the recipes. Hopefully I'll get to use them soon.

29-Jan-16
For that backstrap, I would probably dash some Worchester sauce on it followed by a dry rub with garlic salt and pepper and let it marinate overnight. Wrap it in bacon and cook it on the grill. Make sure to cook it to 160 internal temp as was stated above. You will really wish you had taken all of the meat!

29-Jan-16
I think that what I'm going to do is treat it like a pork loin. I've already soaked it in salt water to draw out the blood. Tonight, I will pack it yogurt. That may sound strange, but it's a trick that I learned in Africa. It helps to get rid of some of the gameiness and tenderizes it a bit.

I might brine it, but not sure about that. Then I'll put on a rub (maybe with the Worchester sause recommended by Treeline) and let it sit overnight. The following day, I'll wrap it in bacon and smoke it.

I'm really looking forward to it.

01-Feb-16
that yogurt trick sounds interesting, kinda likethe buttermilk soak for bear meat.

01-Feb-16
Wayne Helmick - You seen a cougar roadkilled in SD? That's gotta be a rarity...

• Sitka Gear