bad karma 05-Feb-16
Zebrakiller 06-Feb-16
Zebrakiller 06-Feb-16
ki-ke 06-Feb-16
BoggsBowhunts 06-Feb-16
INbowdude 06-Feb-16
Smoke 06-Feb-16
05-Feb-16
My 13 year old daughter Emily got a new bow last Sunday. I won it at a hunter's banquet last year. Her very first shot with it at the shop resulted in a bullseye at 20 yards. The guys just shook their heads LOL

She informed me she's excited to kill something with it. I'm looking for some ideas. She's killed a deer with her rifle at age 11 and isn't afraid to try new things. Her school schedule is from Labor Day until June 1st so it'd be pretty tough to go in Sept or Oct unless it were a close drive. We live in Northern MN so not a lot of options. The deer herd here is pretty low and we can't shoot does either.

Here's my thoughts:

1. Hog hunt - downside is most places are in southern states so if we go in June - August it will be scorching hot. I hog hunted once in Florida with a friend during October. Didn't see a thing.

2. Antelope - this is doable in late August. However, it'd be tough to scout and get a blind or two set up somewhere beforehand. We'd need a connection with someone willing to take a kid out for a reasonable price. I do have two preference points in WY. My experience with this is the Bowsite hunt with BB and once with my rifle years ago that was guided.

3. Turkeys - We could do this in MN but would be limited to a long weekend. Finding a place to hunt is the challenge. The good areas are south of us about 5 hours away.

4. Bear - She wasn't interested in this

5. Alligator?

Any summer hunt would be in conjunction with a vacation too. ie Florida beach plus hogs or gators? Antelope with fishing in the mountains. Maybe shoot prairie dogs and coyotes too? A Quebec caribou hunt would be incredible but I don't have that kind of money to spend on her first hunt.

Open to suggestions here. I want to seize the opportunity while she is still enthused before she has other interests as she gets older.

05-Feb-16

CPAhunter's embedded Photo
CPAhunter's embedded Photo
First draw

05-Feb-16
Javelina or hog during Christmas break.

Hog during Spring break

05-Feb-16
Just curious. Where in northern mn. I grew up in Bemidji... A long time ago.

05-Feb-16
I would combine a lope hunt with a couple days of pre hunt destination stops( say the badlands) added on.

05-Feb-16
Christmas break is too far out. Spring break is no such thing for an 8th grader here. Long trips must be outside of school year.

I'm in Hibbing. 2 hours east of Bemidji, hour north of Duluth.

05-Feb-16
Cool thread (for me at least). I'm from MN (Twin Cities), and have a daughter named Emily. :)

I would suggest a turkey hunt, I think that's one of the best ways to get kids into hunting. Southeast MN has some great turkey hunting, I could give you some good spots on public land. Send me a PM if you want them.

Antelope is another good idea, but I think you need more time than you mentioned for that.

05-Feb-16
Shiloh Ranch during your off season. You'll see pigs. If it's summer, yes, it'll be hot.

06-Feb-16
Axis deer are mostly hard horn that time of year

06-Feb-16
Exotic in texas lots of action choices of game great lodges and people

06-Feb-16
Hunt across a weekend during prime time hog season and let her miss a few days of school. Depending on her current grades, of course....

06-Feb-16
Is Thanksgiving break not an option?

06-Feb-16
Hogs, hogs, hogs, hogs, Shiloh hogs!

Best of luck whenever you go.

06-Feb-16
hog hunting with a bow during summer months sucks.... they don't like the heat and are nocturnal as all get out... time being a problem for distance hunts.. maybe think about a guided hunt with an outfitter... they do the scouting for you, just show up, hunt a few days and go home...

• Sitka Gear