7mm08 20-May-21
Tilzbow 20-May-21
BC173 20-May-21
12yards 20-May-21
Ken 20-May-21
WVFarrier 20-May-21
JL 20-May-21
10-Feb-16
My shoulder is in bad condition. So please recommend the bow you think is smoothest and easier to the shoulder to pull. Thanks everyone

10-Feb-16
at 74 I went to a Alpine Concord model in 50 pound peak weight at 29 inch draw. I have it set at 48 pounds and can again shoot all day with out a issue, plus the carbon arrow still go right thru a deer at this lower weight. I am using 100 grain fixed blade broad heads. These new bows in the 50 pound weight are so much faster than the bow from just 5 years ago. I get arrow speed in the range of what use to be 60 pound peak draw weight from a 50 pound bow.

10-Feb-16
Choose a 6" bh bow and you can pretty much drop another 10lbs and keep the same speed, modern 6"bh bows are very easy to shoot, I find no difference in accuracy beside a 7"bh bow

10-Feb-16
Bowtech Prodigy in the #3 setting or Halon 6 at #50-#55. Butter smooth.

10-Feb-16
AT 65 I had to replace my 60# guardian to save my shoulder. Hawkeye is spot on. Bought a prodigy 50# limbs real smooth and easy. Shot 2 deer this year with it and both were pass thru shots.

10-Feb-16
Elite bows are known for their smooth draw cycles. Look for something with round, less aggressive cams and you'll find a smoother drawing bow.

10-Feb-16
I had much the same issues a few years ago. Went from a Mathews Outback at 65 to an Elite Pure at 58 and no problems. Now shooting an E35 at 58 and can draw easily. Still getting pass throughs !

10-Feb-16
Hoyt with the new DFX cam. It is RIDICULOUSLY smooth and easy to pull...

10-Feb-16
Elite Synergy

10-Feb-16
i thought the easiest drawing bow i ever shot was elite answer. go low #s and go hunt

they are superb

good luck!

11-Feb-16
From the bows is shot this year, i think i would go with a low poundage Obsession DefCon 6/m6...could go to 40lbs and get the same speed with the same arrow at significantly less pull weight.

11-Feb-16
I have shoulder issues as well, got an Elite Synergy, by far the smoothest bow I have ever shot, and I have owned a lot of them.

It draws back and doesn't have a big dump into the valley, due to the shape of the cam.

It is pretty difficult to chase speed if you have shoulder issues, aggressive cams, even in lower weights are hareder to draw, and IMO, so is lower brace heights.

I think speed is way over rated to begin with. If you have shoulder issues, do yourself a favor and forget about a 50# bow as fast as a 60# bow, it will not be good for your shoulder.

11-Feb-16
One of the most shoulder friendly bows I've owned is the Elite Synergy. A 50lber would be "butter"...

11-Feb-16
I agree with Pyrannah and Toby. Lighter weight is the key for bad shoulders. And I'm like Buffalo1, I too bought an Elite Synergy. Is a sweet drawing bow for sure.

11-Feb-16
I mentioned this on one of the other threads also but if you go the Elite Synergy route with bad shoulders, be VERY careful if you have to let down while at full draw. It almost feels like you can't and when it does start to go, it goes hard and fast. Can be very tough on your shoulders.

That said, I have 2 elites (Hunter and Synergy) and love them. It's just always a bit of a panic when I have to let the Synergy down.

11-Feb-16
One of the reasons I don't shoot compounds is how I feel when letting down from full draw. After 4 shoulder surgeries it hurts.

I still shoot a 63# longbow with no problems and I'm 68. If you can handle the reduced ranges, try a longbow or recurve.

11-Feb-16
Stekewood, exactly why I rarely let one down. If I draw it back, an arrow is being sent downrange somewhere. But you are right, letting down the Synergy is a bit awkward. Takes a little getting used to.

11-Feb-16
Obsession and Elite bows have reputations for smooth draws. The new Matthews nocam is supposed to be pretty smooth also.

11-Feb-16
If you can find a used Parker EZ Draw, you won't find an easier compound bow to draw or let down.

12-Feb-16
I have a 50# and a 60# Synergy, both set at 50. A joy to shoot and I would hunts anything in North America with them. You don't need 70# compounds and 300 FPS to be effective.

12-Feb-16
If your draw length is under 29"s the the bowtech rpm 360 is elite smooth and way faster, and quiet, its the best bow I've owned and i've owned many, but it gets stiff at longer draws.

12-Feb-16
Another vote for the Parker Easy Draw. My buddy just sold one he had.

14-Feb-16
i would recommed a obsession defcon 6 at 50 lbs or an older elite

14-Feb-16
Try to get your hands on a Matthews Icon it's an older bow...it has a super smooth draw but it also has a smooth let down.

04-Mar-16
Thank you guys for all your recommendations. Highly appreciated.

04-Mar-16
No easier bow to draw than an Oneida, always has been. The lever action of the limbs pulls the cam over with less stress on your shoulder. Oneida was just bought by Bass Pro Shop owners son.

04-Mar-16
Guillermo, try an Alphamax from Hoyt.

04-Mar-16
You have gold if you have a Parker EZ draw they s.topped making them

19-May-21
Old thread but I am bringing it back up to see if anyone has any ideas. I don't usually ask for medical advice on bowhunting websites but my problem is archery related and my doctor hasn't been able to figure it out.

When shooting my 60# Bowtech Prodigy, when I get to full draw a severe pain starts in my bow shoulder. After laying off for several weeks the pain was the same. Just to try something different I got out a Bowtech Tribute and turned it down to 60# and shot it with almost no pain. After doing this for a few weeks, for a test I decided to shoot a Bowtech Tribute with 80# limbs and there wasn't much pain either. I turned the limbs down 2 full turns on the Prodigy and still experienced the same intense pain.

Still going to try to fix the root problem with my doctor but wondering if anyone else has had this experience with one model of bow causing severe pain and another not causing pain.

19-May-21
Given my shoulder issues (3 tears, 2 of them treated with high density platelets several years ago), I doubt I would be shooting 65# right now, if I wasn't shooting my Elite.

And, I can comfortably shoot it all day long, multiple days in a row.

19-May-21
X2 Synergy good luck Lewis

19-May-21
Old Bingham, Dynabo. Single limb solocam. Made in 1970s. Was used by my Dad when his shoulder went out, I used it for a while too. Only 38-39 # but man that bow was fast.

Still may be able to find some used on websites, estate sales, etc.

19-May-21
I'm sure glad that I have seen this thread. I have shot my Hoyt AlphaMax 32 for a few years at 70 lbs but now I can't even pull it at 50 lbs. Thought that I was going to give up my bow hunting and go to a rifle. I am anxious to try out some of these bows. At 76 the arms and shoulders start to get weak. Having 14 levels in my spine fused doesn't help the situation.

19-May-21
Since my first post I have moved from an Elite Synergy to and Elite Ritual (33"). Poundage is 50# @ 28". It is even smoother than the Synergy in my opinion.

19-May-21
Do a google search for Concept Archery's Concept Bow. They were the first to market with a compound that was 99% let off.

I saw (and shot) one a few years back when we were still in TX and was amazed at the draw cycle. They bore a strong resemblance to a Mathews Switchback.

The bow may be worth looking at for sore or ailing shoulders.

20-May-21
Oneida. Nothing else compares. You can actually draw an extra 10-15 lbs over your normal draw weight due to the smooth, easy draw cycle. I shot all but the newest models over the years. Thinking about going back after competing with recurves and destroying my shoulder.

20-May-21
Sounds like a neck issue. Find a good sports doctor. GPs are limited in this area in my experience.

20-May-21
Any bow with a longer A to A length, 36 to 38 inch. And a more rounded wheel versus a hard cam.

20-May-21
I had a Synergy when this thread came out because of bad shoulders. Well, I still have it, and added another. One 60# turned down one full turn, and a 50 pounder. Killed with both no problem. I do have a 29.5" draw length which helps.

20-May-21
"Sounds like a neck issue. Find a good sports doctor. GPs are limited in this area in my experience." I'm seeing an orthropedic sports doctor and the pain is deep at the shoulder joint and not while drawing, pain only starts at full draw.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

20-May-21
Find an Obsession DefCon M7. Smoothest drawing bow ive ever shot

20-May-21
FWIW.....I have a single cam bow that has no felt roll-over....meaning it is very smooth. My dual am has some definite felt roll-over. I don't have a problem with it but if I had a bad shoulder....I can see where that felt roll-over would be painful. The other is to see if drawing back with the bow at different angle will help. It did for me after a bike wreck and a peskey tennis elbow.

• Sitka Gear