NvaGvUp 14-Feb-16
WV Mountaineer 14-Feb-16
NvaGvUp 14-Feb-16
WV Mountaineer 15-Feb-16
stealthycat 15-Feb-16
TD 15-Feb-16
Txtrapper 16-Feb-16
12-Feb-16
Obama is moving (whatever that means) to set aside 1.8 million acres as a National Monument in south eastern California. That includes the San Gorgonio mountains. I wonder if that will wipe out those sheep tags?

12-Feb-16
Maybe I just answered my question..

The designations were a project of Senator Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California. She asked Mr. Obama last summer to use his powers under the Antiquities Act, a 110-year-old law, to create the monuments after legislation to protect the lands was thwarted by feuding between environmentalists, mining companies and hunters.

Screwed again.

12-Feb-16
Sounds more like a solar farm to me. They are popping up everywhere around here. Nothing like taking a nice field or woods and turning it into a "city".

12-Feb-16
My quick research is that land protected under the Antiquities Act is (at least some) public land that CAN be fished and hunted on. So Obama and Feinstein are doing us a favor:

http://blog.nwf.org/2014/03/antiquities-act-and-sportsmen

Do you have contrary information?

13-Feb-16
"(at least some)" well, that's encouraging....

We can hunt the areas NOW. This cannot really improve on that in any way. And I trust skinny lil liberals about as far as I can throw them.... Obama and Feinstein have NEVER done hunters any favors.... ya never know though... maybe they'll open up a lion season there....

A good many "National Monuments" you can't hunt... offhand the only ones I've been around do not. They don't even want you off the marked trails. That there may be "at least some".... I don't see any happy endings for hunters in this. Not over time I guarantee it. This is called "a foot in the door..."...

13-Feb-16
Or, "the donkey's nose under the tent"...

13-Feb-16
Some of this started a couple years ago with stopping any cage trapping if Bobcats in or around Joshua Tree National monument.

13-Feb-16
SCBS and other like-minded NGOs have been working hard with Feinstein's office on this since she first brought it up several years ago.

We haven't seen all the details yet, but from what we have seen, hunts will not be affected.

The bad news is that the ability to use motorized vehicles to build, service and replace wildlife drinkers may become a challenge.

14-Feb-16
This isn't a good thing. Here is where the hunters are going to loose. Once under National Monument designation, Congress gets full control of the management. Lobbied interest will win their goals when this management plan for this area is revised. It may take a revision or two but, in a state like California, you can bet your last dollar that hunting will be eliminated in time on this area.

TD and Lou got it right. This is a foot in the door for the groups that want hunting eliminated. You'll get a collaborating spirit through the whole process Initially. However, you'll lose when money is the determining management factor. They are going to disguise it as always using public input. The problem will be that the entity with the most money will buy their representation.

14-Feb-16
No, Congress does not get control.

The responsibility for wildlife management within a state belongs to the state in question.

14-Feb-16
Who's talking about wildlife management? I'm talking about land management practices. And, yes congress has the ONLY control of that under any designation. It's the LAW.

Wildlife management means nothing if you can't access it to hunt.

14-Feb-16
"Who's talking about wildlife management?"

I am.

By law, the management of wildlife belongs to the states in which the wildlife resides. Under the North American model, wildlife management, including hunting, belongs to the states.

15-Feb-16
You are the only one in this thread that is talking about it. Because, The reality is the threat we hunters face here is not wildlife management. It is access. And, if this is designated into a National Monument, California hunters will likely loose that access in time. That's the issue everyone here was referring too. Not wildlife management.

God Bless

15-Feb-16
"So Obama and Feinstein are doing us a favor:"

yes because they have always been friends to hunters, shooter, guns owners etc ..

15-Feb-16
Cool, so if WY will let me I get to hunt in Yellowstone?

Feds will have first and last say as to any and all activities on land that has been re-designated. No longer any mandate to be managed for multiple use. National Monument is a half step away from National Park and normally managed by the National Park Service, they can implement any rules or regulations they feel like. It is essentially the last and most restrictive step without congress actually declaring it a National Park.

I know In northern CA the Lava Beds National Monument near where I grew up doesn't, or didn't use to, allow hunting. State had nothing to do with those regulations and no say in them. NPS can make up any regs they want, right down to allowing mining or hunting or..... nothing at all. And can do so with little to no public input.

16-Feb-16
I have never seen where anything these liberals do has benefitted our cause as outdoorsmen. They always use the back door approach. I have come to stand on the idea not to give an inch in any area, because sooner or later if you keep giving them inches the WILL become rulers.......

• Sitka Gear