Trial153 19-Feb-16
steff 20-Feb-16
MS Bowman 20-Feb-16
Mathewsshooter1 21-Feb-16
bigeasygator 21-Feb-16
Charlie Rehor 21-Feb-16
MedicineMan 24-Feb-16
18-Feb-16
I've been looking over and considering possibly trying to book a trip for 2017 season for moose in Newfoundland and was wondering if anyone had some insight on a good outfit to go with. I've never been moose hunting before, and with the large population of critters there, I figure this would be a good place to have a chance of sticking one of these big animals. Not really interested in shooting the first bull that walks by, as I'd like to get a chance at a quality animal. Thanks for the help!

18-Feb-16
My son and I had a great hunt with Ironbound this past September. I highly recommend them.

18-Feb-16
I would check with Bowhunting Safari Consultants. They are a booking agent and all are committed bowhunters. I say this to you having used their services a lot. I've found over the years that there is a big deal of difference between a "bowhunting outfitter" and an outfitter who will take bowhunters.

Few people in Newfoundland bowhunt, and when I went up there, my guide had never even shot a bow.

TBB

18-Feb-16
You need to change your handle...I thought you were Jake until you said "I've never been moose hunting before"...

I've hunted Newfoundland several times with two different outfitters. Moose Valley Outfitters (Dean McDonald) is excellent. I've also hunted with Tuckamore and while many have had good experiences with them, mine was not great.

18-Feb-16
Jake has 2 "N"s on mann. But still... its Jake! I'd consider changing my real name....lol

18-Feb-16
Moose Valley

Ironbound

(Bob) Efford's

Any of these three, look no further.

18-Feb-16
"I've found over the years that there is a big deal of difference between a "bowhunting outfitter" and an outfitter who will take bowhunters. Few people in Newfoundland bowhunt, and when I went up there, my guide had never even shot a bow."

"TBB"

Geez Bob, I guess in your case it wouldn't have made a difference either way. When are you going to stop going on these threads and complaining about the outfitter and place the blame for your hunt squarely on your shoulders? Your non Bowhunting guide got you two shots at Moose at under 20 yards and you missed both. However in hindsight, I suppose if your guide knew how to shoot a bow, he could have taken yours away and shot the Moose for you....Geez, let it go already!

19-Feb-16
lol @ bb, and any trip I make to Newfoundland, will be to that "non-bowhunting outfitter" referenced above :)

19-Feb-16
Is this the same "non-bowhunting outfitter" I shared a bowhunting only get together with on several occasions? If so I'm with Fuzzy

19-Feb-16

Sage Buffalo's embedded Photo
Sage Buffalo's embedded Photo
+1 Wild1.

When I go back for my 3rd trip it will be with Ironbound again.

The helicopter ride in is worth the money alone. In my pic that's the copter picking up my meat. I went late in the year with rifle (last minute hunt) but their bowhunters do well. Like many who have gone will tell you very few, if any, bowhunt.

Plus, if you wanted you can shoot more than 1 moose - 1 with gun and then go bow.

19-Feb-16
fuzz, which one do you speak of?

19-Feb-16

HunterTroy's embedded Photo
HunterTroy's embedded Photo
I highly recommend Bob Efford Hunting adventures.

19-Feb-16
Yep, Dave if it's Dave you're thinking of (the other, other Dave, from MHH )that'd be the one. The non-bow hunting outfitter whose bow I brought back from Newfie in 2014 for repair and tune-up, and, who set myself and my son up for one-shot stickbow bear kills our FIRST HUNTING DAY IN CAMP in 2015.

If I recall the old no-bowhuntin' scoundrel killed a fine red hog with his bow at the last MHH we were at, brought and prepared several pounds of codfish tongues, and told several hunting li...uh "tales" in a dialect or vernacular so thick I couldn't ascertain their veracity, or lack thereof (he resembles bb in that capacity, though the dialect varies)

Pyrannah, since you asked, I refer to Victoria Outfitters, St Johns, NF (hunting area on the Victoria River near Badger, NF)

19-Feb-16
Cecil yup that's the one LOL just listening to him an bb talkin to each other is worth a trip

19-Feb-16

Charlie Rehor's Link
Bowsite Sponsor! Check out their Outfitter Reports. I've hunted Woody's with them four times. They have multiple Moose packages depending on what you want. Good luck! C

19-Feb-16
I am talking my father with me to Newfoundland, I booked with moose valley based on some recommendations and references on here.

20-Feb-16
I'll second Conne River! Their Dolland pond camp IS archery only, and has been for many years! No firearms in camp. Some really good animals, guides who understand bowhunting and a great camp atmosphere. Going back 2017.

20-Feb-16
I know nothing about the below outfitter, but they were on the Outdoor Channel last night and the host killed a huge moose. They helicoptered in... looked like an unbelievable hunt:

Besaw's Log Cabin Outfitters

21-Feb-16
Dadg outfitters for moose and woodlands Stay away from iron bound

21-Feb-16
Seems like there are some great outfitters in NFL based on the research I've done. I'll be hunting with Conne River this year in the Dolland Pond area (booked through BSC). I'll be sure to report back on my experience!

21-Feb-16

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
bigeasygator: Here is the view of Dolland Pond from the lodge after your fly in with Conne River Outfitting. One of the best views in North America! Enjoy! C

24-Feb-16
Thanks for all the suggestions and help. I've looked over and read about numerous places and am glad to see a few folks on here to back up a couple of them I've kept my eye on. Thanks again!

• Sitka Gear