GF 26-Feb-16
19-Feb-16
http://www.theoutdoorwire.com/story/1453410890me9qgt67cvb

would you? if legal?

I will start by saying, I would.

19-Feb-16
Your thread ain't working for me Brother

19-Feb-16
If she is over 21, probably. Oh wait maybe that is not what you are asking...

19-Feb-16

midwest's Link
Link above...

Absolutely would, too! Butcher and freeze.

Any time I wanted a piece of a$$, I just go to the freezer.

19-Feb-16
Only of they are good to eat.

19-Feb-16
Is that what's in burrotos?

19-Feb-16
So many jokes...must resist... Yes. I would hunt wild burros, I think they would be good to eat. And oh so many jokes...

19-Feb-16
I wouldn't think twice about it.

19-Feb-16
I'd kill one peripherally without hesitation. I wouldn't hunt specifically for one.

19-Feb-16
Sometimes you just get a hankerin'!

I think if I lived down there, I'd cook up a really good lie for my wife as to why I wasn't packing off the hides and tell her it was sorta like a mule deer hybrid. And maybe I'd even go for it on a non-res tag if they were real reasonable (as they SHOULD be, given that the state has an interest in maxing out the harvest and it would be a bad idea to discourage anyone from buying a tag...).

But given the overall expense of booking a 3,000 mile trip and a typically expensive non-res tag, I guess I'd leave them to the locals....

19-Feb-16
I've eaten ass before (I couldn't resist) ...but seriously, equines aren't bad meat

19-Feb-16
You'd really have to bust some ass for the pack out.

Sorry...I tried not to but couldn't...resist....

19-Feb-16
I'd do it just to say that I'm an ass hunter.

But seriously, I absolutely would and I'd eat em too. Non-native specie that, IMO, doesn't belong at all.

That goes for the stallions as well. I'd hunt and eat them too. I've not had horse, but I've heard it eats just fine.

When I was a kid, driving across the SW you'd be lucky to see a wild horse. Now you'd have to be lucky not to see 100 1/2 starved horses on a drive from CA to SW CO. The next big drought and they'll be dying by the thousands. It's not right.

19-Feb-16
Nope not me, but I would not kill a zebra either or many other big game animals, like Rhino, Elephant or Hippo. No problem with those who would or want too. Its just not for me. Shawn

19-Feb-16
For sure !!!

22-Feb-16
Shawn, glad you mentioned Zebra. I doubt ever making Africa happen, but if I do, Zebra and Ostrich are tops on my list

22-Feb-16
I'd hunt them in a second. Horses and burros are FERAL and should be eradicated just like hogs, or at least attempted to. The Indians and Lewis & Clark loved horse meat - I'm sure it would be delicious.

There are places in NM where feral horses are causing problems with native flora and fauna too.

Sign me up when the time comes!

Carl

22-Feb-16
Uh....YES. That type of stuff trips my trigger.

23-Feb-16
IM IN

23-Feb-16
I live here, I see the damage first hand, so yes, yes I would! Id like to see a year around hunt for them so I could do so on off seasons.

Arizona started to do a round up last year for the feral mustangs and it was stopped by groups that have no idea, or dont care the impact these animals have on our environments. These areas down by the salt river no longer hold herds of deer like I used to find back in the 80's. Nor does it hold the quail populations I used to hunt.

Im not saying we should wipe them out but we sure need to control their numbers and to me, hunting them is a win win for everyone.

23-Feb-16
Sounds like a lot of "pro" sentiment on this.

23-Feb-16
I would...and I tried to in Australia as they have the same scenario on some of the aboriginal lands.

23-Feb-16
Post WWII, my dad crewed on a ship loaded with mustangs that were being delivered to Poland to replace all the horses that had been killed in the war. I suppose it's possible that they all died on the battlefield, but I never got that impression from my dad.

I might be mistaken, but I was always given to believe that in France, Horsemeat is still valued more highly than beef. We refrain from eating it here because of laws which are purely aesthetic in origin. Think about THAT for a minute...

Some animals are protected from slaughter because the thought of eating them makes some people feel icky inside.

Question is, which critter is next?

I will always abide by the law, whatever it may be, but IMO, some animals are NOT more equal than others; I don't care if it's a whitetail, a wolf, or a whale - if the numbers will support a harvest, then so will I.

23-Feb-16
I was out hunting yotes one evening when four wild burros just happened to walk by me at 15-20 yards. I was soooooo tempted, but I wasn't sure of the regulations. Good thing I didn't, they're protected in California, we protect everything - except the innocent or beneficial.

23-Feb-16
No. Never How about horseshoe crabs, or box turtles..come on .look at the negative publicity.

24-Feb-16
Last I heard horseshoe crabs and box turtles were not invasive species, negatively impacting the environment.

24-Feb-16
Absolutely. Anything new and adventurous that I can eat is on my list of "Yep". (I'm guessing they wouldn't be push overs with a bow)

24-Feb-16
No. With only an excess of a few thousand it shouldn't too hard for the state to capture them and put them to better use. If I had the means and the land, I'd break a few and use them to pack out real game for myself and maybe others as hired to do that. Not only tbat, but my wife loves these things and I'd be single if I shot one anyway, not that I would anyway. There are probably way more challenging animals to hunt.

24-Feb-16
TrapperKayak, another viewpoint, very good. Keep 'em coming.

Anyone on here have first hand experience with feral burros, who might be able to comment on how wary or "difficult to hunt" they may be, were the opportunity presented?

I know that burros/donkeys/asses are very intellligent

26-Feb-16
Post WWII, my dad crewed on a ship loaded with mustangs that were being delivered to Poland to replace all the horses that had been killed in the war. I suppose it's possible that they all died on the battlefield, but I never got that impression from my dad.

I might be mistaken, but I was always given to believe that in France, Horsemeat is still valued more highly than beef. We refrain from eating it here because of laws which are purely aesthetic in origin. Think about THAT for a minute...

Some animals are protected from slaughter because the thought of eating them makes some people feel icky inside.

Question is, which critter is next?

I will always abide by the law, whatever it may be, but IMO, some animals are NOT more equal than others; I don't care if it's a whitetail, a wolf, or a whale - if the numbers will support a harvest, then so will I.

• Sitka Gear