GRoe 07-Mar-16
GRoe 08-Mar-16
GotBowAz 08-Mar-16
GRoe 08-Mar-16
GotBowAz 08-Mar-16
Matt Palmquist 08-Mar-16
Ermine 10-Mar-16
07-Mar-16
Here is a video I threw together last year with some basic info on our turkey decoy system.

07-Mar-16
You have the decoy at the END of your stabilizer vs. next to your bow. Is there reason you place it out so far. With my HUD, I always place it next to the bow and the stabilizer is inserted thru the HUD into the bow. Am I doing it wrong?

07-Mar-16
A better way to ask my question, "What is the benefit of installing the HUD at the end of the stabilizer?" I know it will work either way.

07-Mar-16
Hey Jerry, I do not have a stabilizer on my bow to attach the decoy bracket to but I do have to add a small two inch extension, attached to the stabilizer hole, so that the decoy does clear the bow without any contact.

I would expect there might not be any benefit except it does allow one to use the stabilizer especially if the stabilizer has a screw hole at the end. Not all stabilizers have that threaded hole.

Having the decoy that far out and to the right surely does add some balancing issues and one needs to practice a lot prior to the hunt.

My best, Paul

07-Mar-16
Bowcrazy, it is designed to function just as you referenced. You are not wrong at all. I do personally prefer to have it on the end of the stabilizer so I can run the decoys off any side of the bow.

GR Heads Up Decoy

08-Mar-16
Dave,

To attach it to a stabilizer you will need the 5/16 thread at the end of the stabilizer. Or as mentioned above, you can put the bow mount between the stabilizer and riser.

I think you will get enough clearance. In 2010 when I first started using the decoy this way, I used the smaller bullheads. However, I don't use them any more because we are crawling and stalking so much that I get the blades hung up on other things.

GR Heads Up Decoy

08-Mar-16
For the Big blades on the end of your arrows and for balance you guys should look at the "ultimate predictor decoys". These things are centered so that there is no off to one side balance issues and they are velcro'ed to the riser or limbs. You aim through a window. It still can have wind issues but it is much better on balance control. I have not used the Turkey decoy but I have used the whitetail deer and I really like it over others out there.

08-Mar-16
Dave, you would simple adjust until it clears.

GR Heads Up Decoy

08-Mar-16
Oops, sorry about the typo. Yes, Ultimate Predator. a Velcro strap goes around the upper and lower riser or limbs. Then simply attach the Velcro on the decoy to the straps. It holds very good and you can remove just the decoy and roll it up in your back pack. It has extra straps to hold it more stable if its windy but I never had it blow off or come unattached.

08-Mar-16
Dave....Like Garrett said, you can adjust the bow mount to where the arrow has very little clearance or is offset to the side allowing lots of room. I don't think you would have an issue with the large heads.

The advantage of the Heads up is the ability to incorporate a real turkey fan. The iridescence of the real feathers makes a big difference in my experience. I move the decoy a lot when I am hunting trying to get the birds attention. I will raise and lower the decoy/fan simulating a bird going in and out of strut until a bird commits to coming. It doesn't always work, but I will keep dogging them and crawling closer until they decide to come investigate or I blow them out.

Matt

10-Mar-16
Yea the real fan in the heads up decoy is what sets it apart! I think a real fan makes a huge difference. Just like Matt said!

• Sitka Gear