Ideas on public land hog hunting?
Hogs
Contributors to this thread:
Titan_Bow 08-Mar-16
Fuzzy 09-Mar-16
EmbryOklahoma 09-Mar-16
SDHNTR(home) 09-Mar-16
08-Mar-16
I've been in Colorado for 10 years now and I absolutely love it. I am however, itching to go chase some pigs again. I used to hunt them almost daily when I was in the Army, stationed at Fort Benning, GA. Does anyone have any pointers on states or areas that might have decent public land opportunities?

09-Mar-16
All I can say is trhat walking around outdoors is fun, but if you aren't "from there" and really want to kill hogs, you'll need help, or LOTS of time.

09-Mar-16
Find an area around the red river, either Texas or Oklahoma. Then find the nastiest, thickest stuff along tributaries and search them out. Then, make sure you have about ten other thick and nasty spots to search for them. Then, like Fuzzy said, make sure you have ample time to search for them and stalk them and kill them.

Who knows, you could get fortunate and hit a home run the first time and get on some and kill them. If you're motivated, there are plenty of public lands in Oklahoma that holds hogs. The major problem is they are just extremely nomadic in their search for food or safe havens.

By the way, I'm not trying to discourage, I'm just being realistic.

Best of luck!

Edit: I just re-read your post. You've hunted them, so you probably know of their nature. PM if you want to discuss a few spots in Oklahoma.

09-Mar-16
Free range pigs are smart and resourceful. They know where the best groceries are, and unfortunately, that rarely means public land.

• Sitka Gear