ki-ke 23-Mar-16
cariboukid 14-Apr-16
Bigbears 14-Apr-16
Bigpizzaman 14-Apr-16
Hollywood 16-Apr-16
22-Mar-16

squirrel's embedded Photo
Not there would be any judgmental types on here... I was getting grief from a young buck about the size of my "one on the wall" and gave him my old worn out line of-You should see the one that got away! So to prove my senile memories correct I dug out the dusty albums and scanned to digital. It's Q/L I spent half a day within 100 or so yards before finally losing my cool and shooting a smidge under his brisket @ 50 yards... 10 further than I had any business shooting.

I think he was huge, but it could be because I missed him! They all get bigger as they walk away! I am glad I got some pics though, not that I could ever erase the mental images...

Any way do you folks that have some caribou experience see him as really big? I've only gone once and never taped a caribou before.

22-Mar-16

sorry I hadn't posted on here for so long I forgot about the procedures. These first two are before I peed down my leg and missed, his 7 buddies at as close as 10 yards had me trapped and he wouldn't come to my side.

22-Mar-16
Looks like a good one to me! But on caribou, I'm partial to anything with great tops.

22-Mar-16

After the shot- busted double shovels in view on this one

22-Mar-16

22-Mar-16
Its a male

22-Mar-16

I believe you Kelly I knew I could count on bowsiters for insight!

Here is the last look I got of him, followed he and his band of merry MEN but the tundra just sucked them up...

22-Mar-16
I'd say 114.:) looks like a stud to me but I've never laid eyes on a caribou.

22-Mar-16
you said you thought he was huge.

you are right.

you at least had a great half day on the tundra in his presence at 100 yards. most will never come close to that a smidgen of such a treasure.

22-Mar-16
Kevin, he is a dandy to be sure. The amazing thing about caribou is every rack is a snowflake - no two are alike. I too am partial to heavy tops, but each one is unique and they are beautiful animals. Like Grant said, you had the opportunity to spend time on the tundra and that alone is a gift. Silence has a sound my friend.

22-Mar-16
He's got more than mine and great tops. Mine has 22" tines on top and even with no back scratchers scores 366". To bad you missed but exciting to be that close.

22-Mar-16
What Maverick said. The big Q/L on my wall grossed just over 370 and without a good look at his bez's, the one in your photos appears to be bigger than that by quite a bit.

There are a lot of variables in caribou scoring, but as Maverick pointed out, those top two points coming off the palms will add up. His beam length is good, not great, but the other stuff will make up for it. The thing with caribou is that they often have one part big (tops, bez's, etc..) and another part smaller to compensate. This one doesn't appear to have much weakness anywhere.

To answer your question, yes he's "really big" - especially with the reduction in the overall herd numbers and in mature animals.

22-Mar-16
What a bull!!

How many times have you played that shot over in your mind?!!

22-Mar-16
I judge him to be HUGE! And tasty.

22-Mar-16
I put animals in one of two classes. That one is a SHOOTER.

22-Mar-16
Fabulous bull. You could hunt your whole life and not see one any better.

Kota man, have to think you were being sarcastic with your comment about great tops. What would it need to be better????

23-Mar-16

Thanks guys for the verification of my original thoughts. I should not admit this on bowsite but I would have grabbed a rifle after my miss and dropped what I was pretty sure was a bou of a lifetime...

When I look at the one I got I see the one that got away, much as my wife likely does when she looks at me I reckon.

But then again what is a trophy but a memory, and my most memorable are all my failures. Kinda weird but true I seldom see any replays of a shot done right but several epic failures of composure when drawing down on huge antlers are my "highlight reel". (I have more on that reel than I wish I did!)

My consolation prize, a beauty but not like the one that got away!

23-Mar-16
Cool pics of a GIANT bou. If I could only be so lucky as to even get close enough for a shot on that guy. The bull you took is no slouch either! Great job. Who were you hunting with?

23-Mar-16
World Class. As said above, that is a rare Q/L caribou.

14-Apr-16

cariboukid's embedded Photo
cariboukid's embedded Photo

cariboukid's Link
Here is another monster that was taken with JHA in 2014.

The scoring system is tricky on caribou as I would have thought it would have scored much higher than what it did too! Was sure it was close to being a 400 class bull myself at first glance but I was wrong! None the less it was a true monster that dwarfed most other caribou racks.

BTW - If anyone is interested

I just took a cancelation from a full party of 6 repeat hunters this week and now have room for 6 more at our 1x6 outpost (without cook) September 3-9. If anyone is interested in taking advantage of a late cancelation with a slight discount attached give me a call 1-877-563-3832 or send me an email [email protected]

Richard

14-Apr-16
Squirrel, First I like to just say why listen to the youngster that was give you a load of dung. If it is on your wall it is your trophy to remember. I can still remember my first white because it is on my wall as a reminder 45 years later. It is not a BC whitetail but it is my trophy. Thanks for listening

14-Apr-16
Damn that's a GREAT picture Richard, photographer must be talented!! LOL

16-Apr-16
There's no passing that thing up.

You get top palmation essentially 5 time to your final score as 2 top long points are scored to the keel and circumference is double.

He's heavy over the nose and has good shovel credit which is a freebie, no deduc's.

Yup. No passing up that one. Bow. Rifle. Sharp Stick. Rock. ...Whatever it takes.

Don.

• Sitka Gear