dm/wolfskin 30-Mar-16
HighLife 30-Mar-16
willliamtell 30-Mar-16
Bushwacker 31-Mar-16
dm/wolfskin 01-Apr-16
dm/wolfskin 01-Apr-16
Rutin buck 02-Dec-16
26-Mar-16
My daughter could use some practice. We have access to a pasture that is extremely thick, has no feeders on it, no blinds, but it's packed with hogs. It is only 900 acres but it's high fenced. Here's the kicker, the land surrounding the pasture is wide open, no cover, and has a cattle feed lot about a mile away. The hogs have torn open a hole in the fence in one place and no amount of repair work seems to keep them in for long. So, the hogs live by day on the 900 acres and at dark they filter through that hole and make their way to the feed lot. I'd like to set up a light near that hole and let the hogs get used to it, then take my daughter out with her bow. I came across the Elusive Wildlife Side-R Feeder light today. Comes in either green or red. Looks and works like a trail camera. Set it up on a tree in AUTO mode and when it detects movement, it illuminates out to 65' Any recommendations on whether to go with GREEN or RED?

26-Mar-16
well green if you want them to keep moving and red if you want them to stop.

26-Mar-16
I don't think it matters.

26-Mar-16
Can you buy both a red AND a green lens (or a red and green bulb), so you could conduct your own test and see which one works best?

26-Mar-16
I guess I set myself up for those.

No, it's one or the other. They run about $70

27-Mar-16
Being a nuisance trapper and attending a DOW seminar a few years ago on goose control, they claimed a green laser will flush and spook Canadian geese off water or out of an area every time where as a red colored laser will not affect them much... Never dealt with geese so I don't know how true this is, but it came straight from the division of wildlife...

I understand hogs and geese haven't much in common, but just saying...

27-Mar-16
For a fixed light I prefer green. For a bow mounted light I prefer red. I've hunted quite a bit with both a fixed light and a bow mounted light. In my experience pigs spook more when hit with the green light than when hit with a red light. I haven't noticed much difference between red and green when pigs are coming into a light that is already on.

My concern with the light you're considering is that it comes on when it senses motion and would be much the same as hitting them with a bow mounted light. It's easier to see to shoot with the green light. My opinion, for what it's worth is to use the red if you're going to use the motion activated mode or to use the "on" mode with a green light.

27-Mar-16
Zbone, one important similarity with hogs and geese.....they both crap all over !

To the OP, if you keep the light up long enough, you can use any color, even a white light. The best hog lights I ever had are outdoor security lights from Northern Tool. Self contained with a solar panel for less than $40. Aimable to light up where you want it, dusk to dawn and motion activated. I put a piece of red film over the lens but over time it faded and the pigs keep coming. Good luck, if you're bowhunting, the pig's nose is your biggest problem.

27-Mar-16
Thanks for the input. I haven't tried shooting the bow with the target illuminated by green or red. Maybe I should try that first, see which one we feel more comfortable with? These hogs are gonna go through this light to get to the hole in the fence, I'd just like for them to stop and eat a free corn snack before they do. I figured I'd set the light up and leave it be for a couple of weeks before we actually set up for a hunt.

27-Mar-16
drycreek - "they both crap all over !" Yeah, true that...8^)

I did find that interesting though, red laser didn't affect them much, but green laser spooks the shite (pun intended) out of them...8^) At least that is what they claimed... Have wondered how many, or what kind of animals the green had the same affect, but the green lasers are a little pricey for me to experiment, although I know there nothing more fun that a red laser a psycho Jack Russell Terrier and a 6-pack...8^)))

Cats can be fun with red lasers too...8^)

28-Mar-16
I don't know what colour to use...but your set up sounds fascinating. Please share some pics and let us know how you do.

28-Mar-16
I heard back from the Elusive Wildlife today and they recommend the GREEN for hogs and they say it's easier to shot a bow with that color. I will test that out soon as I have a green light on my AR10. Will let everyone know how it turns out.

29-Mar-16
I have the bow mounted green light from elusive wildlife. It works like a charm, i can shoot just like in the daylight up to 35 yards. I have had big boars feeding and I just keep the light on pointed right at them and sneak up slow. If they look your way, they just see a blinding light but the green or red doesn't make there eyes adjust like a white light so they feel comfortable. Great tool for hog hunting

29-Mar-16
Meanwhile at the exact same time on another thread someone doesn't think it is "sporting" to crawl after turkeys with a fan and shoot them with a bow. Sorry, the irony is just too much for me.

Enjoy your hunts however you (legally) hunt!!!

29-Mar-16
Amen APauls, Legal is Legal.

29-Mar-16
I don't think the color matters as much as a dull light. Some ares pigs dont care some they are picky. SOme years I use a laser genetics nd3 and some years the pigs turn inside out when I turn it on. I started using a cheap red beam head lamp on my bow.

29-Mar-16

I've showed this clip before but I'm on the ground walking toward this group of pigs and they are not bother by it. The two snall one that went by me at 5 yards got down wind of me and they whole takes off. The boar stop to see what going on. His mistake.

29-Mar-16

dm/wolfskin's embedded Photo
He made it 60 yards.

29-Mar-16
Pretty cool video. Maybe I need to mount the light to the bow? I appreciate everyone's input, I grew up with the old red spot lights from Q Beam but we didn't have the hogs back then like we do now.

30-Mar-16

Here's a picture of how I have mine mounted to a longbow.

30-Mar-16
I would go with green also as it's worked out for me.

30-Mar-16
That clip was like Blair Witch Project meets the Hogzilla clan. Liked the lumenock receding off in the distance.

Green is consistent with what you see with night vision goggles.

What happens if you start with a red lens and put some green plexi over it - purple?

31-Mar-16
I love to learn from you guys, allows inventing something cool and out of the box thinking stuff. Pretty cool setup

01-Apr-16

01-Apr-16

02-Dec-16
Red feeder light is the best option for not spooking hogs.. as with most split hoofed ungulates they cannot see the wave lengths that the red lens emits whereas it is possible for them To see the green colored wave lengths. I'm not saying hogs will always spook from green light but on pressured hogs is where you will see a noticeable difference in the two colored lights... Elusive wildlife technologies makes a feeder light that you can get with either red or green leds that when triggered comes on very dim and gradually brightens to help avoid spooking the game. Best of luck!!

• Sitka Gear