Paul@thefort 27-Mar-16
Paul@thefort 27-Mar-16
mikesohm/magnus 27-Mar-16
Brotsky 28-Mar-16
bowcrazyJRHCO 28-Mar-16
wade94z 28-Mar-16
TREESTANDWOLF 28-Mar-16
27-Mar-16
Any ideas on decoy placement out of a blind? I have a feeding hen, a breeding hen and a jake, all Avian decoys.. Larv

27-Mar-16

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
10 yards from blind

27-Mar-16

27-Mar-16

27-Mar-16

27-Mar-16

27-Mar-16

27-Mar-16

while many of these decoy placements might have varied from time to time, they all resulted in a dead Tom.

I have found out over the years, as the season advances, one might change the decoy set up as to be more attractive to the turkeys ie, especially the boss tom. Attractive meaning== jake over hen. Jake with hens, Only hens. Strutter tom with hens. etc.

IN all cases the decoys were within 15 yards of the blind and last year, only 10 yards away resulting with three dead toms.

I try to set up in the shade or next to a large tree when possible. If along a field edge, I try to carve out a spot just off the field to set up the blind so if a tom comes along the edge, he will not see the blind sticking out. I have never had to brush the blind in.

Hope this helps some. my best, Paul

27-Mar-16
Paul what's the minimum amount of decoys you've used/recommend? I might get the chance to hunt some private land birds and would like to set up decoys since I won't have to deal with trigger happy people on public.

Right now I have a 3d strut jake and a 2d hen, but if get the chance to hunt private I'd like to pick up a 3d hen. Would a jake hen couple be enough, or do you have better results with a flock?

27-Mar-16

A jake decoy with hen is the minimum I have used. I have used 2-3 hens only a few times but never just one hen.

A flock?? the most i have used is four. ie, one jake or strutter with one to three hens.

Sometime you have to "read" what is going on in the area, sort of the "rhythm" of the hunt. If one setup does not seem to work, try something else.

Picture of anxious jakes coming to strutter and then they stood around for half hour within 10 yards of the blind.

27-Mar-16
When using a jake or tom decoy over a hen, do you like to have the decoys facing towards the blind, away or sideways? OR does it even matter?

27-Mar-16
I like a full strut and most of the time with it facing the blind the gobbler will circle to face the decoy. And don't be afraid to put it close, just watch your movement.

27-Mar-16
Hi Paul, what full strut decoy is that in the photo above?

27-Mar-16

What the picture above does not show is the two strings I have attached fore and aft of the tom decoy. This allows me to turn it 180 degrees when pulling the strings from inside the blind.

Now last year, I did not use a tom (but a jake) or the strings (no movement) and I still killed three toms within 10 yards of the blind and they came right into the decoys.

Decoy facing the blind?? Mostly side-ways as this usually give me a good broadside shot at the tom. You can see the strings attached to this decoy. If you need movement, this is a good way to achieve it and it is a lot of fun making the decoy turn and watching the turkeys reactions.

I have never never had a Texas Heart shot.

my best, Paul

27-Mar-16
Rich, it is the Primos Killer B. Also shown above with the attached tail down.

27-Mar-16

Wade. You like them close????

27-Mar-16
I put my decoys 5 to 6 yds from the blind. and I use dave smith decoys. They work.

28-Mar-16
I set my decoys up pretty similar to what Paul does above. I try to set them in an area where they will be most visible to turkeys passing by or looking for what is calling. I typically set my decoys, take 10 steps and then set-up my blind. We practice a lot of the winter for our turkey shots and I try to get them all right at 10 yards + or - a yard or two. I set them up with a little gap between the hen and the jake and center that gap in the blind window. That is where 99% of our shots will be taken. Best of luck to you this spring!

28-Mar-16
In addition to the good comments above, I place sticks or pile of something (cornstalks, etc.) at 40 yards in three or four places making a half circle around the blind, then I automatically know when the Tom is in my killing range. I may also place sticks at 20 yards, then I know they are in my prime range. I don't want to continually range find the bird.

28-Mar-16
Yes sir Paul, it don't get much better than that!

28-Mar-16
Thx Paul, pulling the strings on the decoy must be a blast when they react.

• Sitka Gear