Bou'bound 08-Apr-16
r-man 08-Apr-16
Paul@thefort 10-Apr-16
ChandlersArea 11-Oct-20
Dale06 11-Oct-20
GED 11-Oct-20
blackwolf 11-Oct-20
05-Apr-16
I just got a new Big Cat 350 blind and was wondering what all you other blind hunter do with yours when you get a new one. do you air it out at home before you put it out in the field or just air it in the field? i live in the city and i was worried that airing it out at home might inject city smells into the blind before i set it up and then it would take longer to get it aired out and get rid of the factory smell.

05-Apr-16
Mike, I would not worry about it until you are ready to hunt out of it. Hopefully you'll be able to set it up and leave it out to get the animals a chance to get used to it. That should give it plenty of time to air out. A deer also doesn't know what a "factory smell" is, but they sure know what a person smells like!

05-Apr-16
the plan is to have it set up and out in the field at least a month before the elk season starts. its going to be up near a water hole that i have scouted and have game cameras on.

05-Apr-16
Mike, if that's the plan then no need to air it out in my opinion.

One piece of advice is if there are cattle around using that water hole hopefully you can set the blind in a way they can't get at it. They seem to take particular pleasure in destroying blinds.

05-Apr-16
I would not worry about airing it out. I would however set it up and practice shooting from inside it a few times, get familiar with it. This is critical if you are new to using pop up blinds. I would do it even with a familiar model, to make sure everything is good with the blind. You don't want any surprises when big boy shows up!

05-Apr-16
Understand that while that blind will hide you, it won't contain your scent from elk if the wind is swirling or wrong. So you have to consider that as if you were standing in the open. We've even tried the gimmicky "carbon" ground blinds, but if the wind is swirling we still get nailed.

05-Apr-16
Lou, you haven't bought the Ozonics yet for your "Ah ha!" moment?

05-Apr-16
im not using the blind for scent control. its for motion concealment more than anything else.

05-Apr-16
Bear Track, in waiting until HECS and Ozonics merge and create a machine that eliminates scent and the electromagnetic aura at the same time. It could also be rigged to project a hologram of whatever vegetation is in the area as a "blind", or even a virtual 3-D image of the animal being hunted.

Then we'd REALLY have something to debate here on the Bowfight!

05-Apr-16
Lou, that is too complicated. I am working on a "system" that puts a 200 yard perimeter around you. When something enters that perimeter, "system" will photo it, send photo back to your phone, and then change the wind to be in your favor. I just have not got the weather machine part of the "system" figured out yet.

05-Apr-16
Depending on the season and location, only after treating it with permethrin.

05-Apr-16
Stick, could I " field test " the SYSTEM ? With that, I could eliminate all the hogs in my area, and feed the buzzards and coyotes for weeks !

05-Apr-16
I don't worry about scent other than playing the wind. Yes, I might punch a few more tags if I put a lot of effort into minimizing it, but I like things simple. I did the whole scent minimizing thing for a few years when I got into whitetail hunting but it just wasn't fun for me.

I get busted sometimes and I get away with way more than I think I should sometimes. Thats basically how it went when I was putting a lot of effort into scent control as well.

05-Apr-16
I smoke mine with Hickory chips

05-Apr-16
Set it up with cut cedar boughs inside

05-Apr-16
Turkeys don't get scared by smells, if they did, we wouldn't get in bow range of them!

05-Apr-16
I set mine up in one of the horse stables for 3 months and the thing still stinks, although not as bad.

05-Apr-16
Thought of an add, practice putting it up well ahead of time, my primos dark horse or whatever it's called these days busted a strut the first two times I tried setting it up, had to take it in for professional help and they busted a couple of poles getting it lined out, now it goes up like a dream

05-Apr-16
Yes.

08-Apr-16
thanks for all the interesting comments and advice.

08-Apr-16
I wouldn't worry about the smell, but I would set it up and let it up for a few days or more if it is really tight, to help loosen it up a bit. Also, pop it up and take it down a bunch of times helps. Some blinds are so tight the first time you put them up that you can barely get them open. See oldgoat's comments above. Good luck!

08-Apr-16
Set it up with cut cedar boughs inside

08-Apr-16
yes air it.

10-Apr-16
you can also spray down the inside with a No scent spray to mask and or eliminate the smell if it bothers you..

11-Oct-20
It amazes me. Up until the 1990’s no one used any type of scent control. Huge deer and elk were taken. In fact deer and elk were wiped out of KY and severely low numbers were in other states until the 1950’s-1960’s when the fish and wildlife agencies of states started doing a better job of managing numbers. No deer are abundant and elk are making a come back. Why do people feel the need to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on scent control yearly? The old timers didn’t have it and were very successful.

11-Oct-20
What am razor head is what I do with a new blind.

11-Oct-20
X2 Smoke

11-Oct-20
I have 6 blinds set out month ahead of time. They have been stored in extra garage area so I set them up to air them out 5-10 days before placing them in woods as precaution. I also only hunt them if wind is right. I close and tape shut most windows and pile in edge bottoms.

• Sitka Gear