DEC 08-Apr-16
Sage Buffalo 08-Apr-16
DEC 08-Apr-16
Ermine 08-Apr-16
Dan Mallia 10-Apr-16
huntabsarokee 10-Apr-16
Bowfreak 10-Apr-16
05-Apr-16
I have a Matrix 360 that I have shot quite a few birds from but there are things I don't like about it. The front window allows WAY too much light in under most circumstances. The stupid little windows on the back are annoying too. It is high quality but the windows are becoming a deal breaker for me. I want something that is similar size to the Matrix or bigger (I am a 31" draw and need room to draw) but more importantly I want something that I can tighten up with regard to the window openings.

I have had quite a few gobblers spook from decoys but I believe the blind is a bigger issue to spook gobblers overall. I am intrigued by the blinds with a different shape like the Shack Attack but I am concerned whether I can shoot out of that blind. I wish I could find double bull quality with smaller vertical window openings versus the ginormous diamond opening the Matrix window makes. Maybe that exists....thats why I am asking. :)

05-Apr-16
Bowfreak, I use the Double Bull dark horse and it's kind of the best of both worlds compared to the Matrix. I can use the adjustable type window on one side or use the "port" type windows on the other side if I choose. We end up using the adjustable window 95% of the time. I do think the advantage to that is that the "port" type windows on the backside are fully blacked out not letting any light in, etc and are tightened up so to speak. I think the new Double Bull Double wide may be similarly designed and a little bigger.

05-Apr-16
Like Brotsky, I use a Dark Horse, but I use the vertical windows with the large window shut. I don't like letting that much light in. Most of my set-ups are backed into cover, so I generally only shoot out of one side. I actually like my old T2 better, but I've modified it to cover up the large mesh screen and made another shooting window there. I never understood any advantage to those large windows. I prefer to be able to stay completely out of sight between the windows when setting up for a shot.

05-Apr-16
I have the Dark Horse too....great blind but I was looking at blinds the other day and the new blind from Primos/Double Bull is the best blind I've ever seen...High Quality !! can't recall the name of it.

05-Apr-16
I have a dark horse but prefer the T5. My buddy has one and I still think it was their best blind.

05-Apr-16
T5 was the best. Dark horse is at least half a T5.

05-Apr-16
I heard these were awesome! ;-)

05-Apr-16
just watched the video. hard to sit through all of it. Things that gets me is neutral colors eliminating black holes, but what do I see. 3 black holes in the blind behind him in it when praising it. REALLY?

05-Apr-16
MOBILE with Flex frame

05-Apr-16
I am a T5 man myself. If I had to by a new one it would a dark horse. Or ASAT. Hunt

05-Apr-16
I still own several Primos vision ground blinds. Love them. they stopped selling them a couple years ago.

05-Apr-16
Can you still get a dark horse?

05-Apr-16
I think the Dark Horse is the closest thing DB makes to what I would like. Who knows what the window configuration is on their new blinds because their website sucks. It has almost no details that I could find.

05-Apr-16
Bowfreak, I am like you, would really like to find a blind with vertical shooting holes, I just don't care for the diamond shape. Forrest

05-Apr-16
Bowfreak and Drahthaar, look at Hidden Hunter blinds. I love mine for turkey hunting because it has vertical windows that sit really close to the ground allowing for very close shots.

Darren

05-Apr-16
I just ordered a Barronett Big Cat 350. Big enough to shoot longbows out of, will see how it works next month!

05-Apr-16
"I have a dark horse but prefer the T5. My buddy has one and I still think it was their best blind."

+1

05-Apr-16
Oldgoat,

Post some pics of it with the window configuration when you get a chance.

05-Apr-16
The best one person is the T2. I bought a second one the day I learned that it was being discontinued. Glad I did, because there hasn't been anything similar come out since.

Mine only weighs 10 lbs, as I added the lightweight rod and hub kit about 12 yrs ago.

05-Apr-16

oldgoat's Link
Bowfreak here is a link to their website. Chance of me remembering to post a pic of slim to none.

06-Apr-16
Here's a photo of the Hidden Hunter blind with the vertical windows. The blinds are made in Michigan somewhere. Ron LaClair sells them on his website.

Darren

photo SpringGobbler1-7Small_zpsln7sh0wv.jpg

06-Apr-16
I have a Dark Horse and an older Ameristep Brickhouse. I've killed turkeys out of both. My theory is that, in general, older birds don't like them. The only exception is when they've been brushed in very well...and that doesn't always work.

With the Dark Horse I have had more success hunting with the port windows versus the larger "V" opening. This is especially true when you don't have a whole lot of cover to put on the blind itself, or cover to back the blind into.

07-Apr-16
dhaverstick, did they use to be Lucky's blinds by any chance? My uncle has been using a similar style made in Michigan. The company is/was Luckys. The first one he bought from them was 10 or 12 years ago. They set up faster than any blind I've used. We have killed a ton of turkeys out of those blinds. The nice thing is they set up so silently and fast that you can cut and run with them.

07-Apr-16

Rock's embedded Photo
Rock's embedded Photo
Not a popup Blind but extremely effective with plenty of room.

07-Apr-16
I'm still running both of my Double Bull T5s. Hard to beat imho.

07-Apr-16
I've never met a blind a turkey didn't like. As long as it's sturdy, tied down and you can call a bird in (or good ambush spot) turkeys will come. Big and small.

Any blind you can shoot out of and shoot well is fine.

It still amazes me a bird who can pick your sweat dropping across a field can't see you in a blind in the wide open. I know it's a depth of perception issue but man it's crazy.

07-Apr-16
Sage,

You have much better luck than I do. If my windows are too open, which is VERY easy to do in the Matrix, I am busted.

07-Apr-16
You might take a look at Double Bull Double Wide? I really like mine. There is a lot of flexibility with the windows. One of the biggest mistakes guys make when setting up decoys is setting them up directly in front of the blind. If you line the decoys up to the side the birds may have less chance of seeing you.

08-Apr-16
I have owned nearly every Double Bull model ever made. I loved the old T5's and BS5's with carbon rods. That was at the peak of Double Bull's quality. However the version that I always go back to is the Dark Horse still to this day. I have bought a pile of new old stock and barely used ones as I just don't see them getting much better. The Double Wide versions are nice but they are much heavier. The door is easier in and out on them, but I also don't like how it closes up. Just not as sealed as the zippered Dark Horse version.

However if you hunt alone I'd encourage you to look into a Double Bull Shack Attack blind. I still have an old T2 blind and said for years, that blind with a Dark Horse front would be amazing. That is exactly what the Shack Attack is. I bought one last summer and while I haven't turkey hunted out of it yet, I did deer hunt out of it quite a bit last fall. I really like that blind for a solo hunter. I'm going to run it quite a bit when turkey seasons open here in Indiana.

08-Apr-16
Bowfreak: Try setting your blind so the sun is behind you during key periods. Not always possible but that usually helps in that situation.

I also should have mentioned I antelope hunt a ton out of blinds so I am more use to it than others. I also deer hunt out of them as well.

Also, sit as far back as possible.

Good luck!

08-Apr-16
Bowfreak, I have a max also and feel I have been picked out also with the front large window open. I am going to try zipping the large window closed a hair and using a piece of double-sided velcro to stick up the loose hanging portion. I have killed from it but been busted more times......

08-Apr-16
I read someone mention the "V" shape window on the Dark Horse and Matrix style blinds. You can completely eliminate that for about $5 at a Staples store. Buy yourself a thing of black colored medium sized binder clips. I put a dozen or so of them along the large window opening so I can use them to get the window exactly how I want it set for each hunt. I use them to clip the top and bottom of the large window to the diagonal and vertical straps that converge on the hub area. So now instead of having to open the front high and low at the slider strap, I can reduce that opening and then hold the window open at the right levels in the hub area, then let it close down sharply out the rest of the way. I end up with a very consistent window profile that I can set at any elevation and any opening width. I could make it a continuous 4" tall slit for say a gun hunter. Or I could open it to about 9"-10" consistently for turkeys and my bow.

Just a little tip.

08-Apr-16
Double Bull T5 was the best ever in my opinion

10-Apr-16
I use the shack attack when I'm solo and just use my double wide on a hunt with two guys. No complaints with either in those applications.

10-Apr-16
Any one try the browning blinds? Was checking out their phantom online.

10-Apr-16
I have spent quote a bit of time turkey hunting in my matrix. I learned a lot g time ago to setup with the sun at my back. Also....I do something similar to DEC in that I have 2 pieces of black material that I clip into place to minoze my window openings. I use spring clips like you would use to clip a fairly big report together.

If I knew I could shoot out of a shack attack, I would buy one for sure.

• Sitka Gear