AndyJ 17-Apr-16
jims 17-Apr-16
writer 17-Apr-16
Backpack Hunter 17-Apr-16
Tejas 18-Apr-16
Vids 19-Apr-16
trkyslr 19-Apr-16
15-Apr-16
Hey fellas, i have a B Mobile with a jake fan i have used for 6 or so years now. I have done well with it, killing several birds over it in that time. But i do have my fair share of "skirt arounds" too. I am in the market to get a new, less threatening but effective jake deek. Obviously the reviews of the dsd on here are amazing, so i was planning to buy one. But my brother has an avian x jake, and he says i should save some money and just get the avian. There isnt a huge difference in price, but $40-$50 is $40-$50 to spend elsewhere. I know that on the right day, anything will work. The question is, does the dsd have something over the avian that makes it worth spending more? I know the pose is a lil different(which i think is probably more important), and colors are slightly different. Will one flip the switch on an old gobbler quicker than the other? Anyone use BOTH? Obviously, someone that has hunted over them both would better answer my question. I know either will work better in mpst situations than my full strut deek now. They both have great reviews, just not sure if theres a difference tween the two that would lead to paying more for one vs the other. I personally like the posture of the dsd better, but im trying to fool the judges with beards n spurs....

15-Apr-16
DSD, best deek, original deek, owners are good guys, American made, quality that will last!

15-Apr-16
I listened to the guys on bowsite and waited for one to go on sale - the DSD or Dakota. I've hunted turkeys for decades and always had Toms skirt my decoys. This year, I and my nephew killed Toms every time we saw turkeys ( went 4 for 4). All Toms, once they hit the 60 yard mark, came barreling in. Two mature and two jakes. I am totally sold on the posturing of these decoys. Much better results than various upright jake decoys. One eastern tom, three merrimans.

15-Apr-16
So bow, u went with the DSD?

15-Apr-16
I have an Avian X and while I've killed turkeys over it, I've had my fair share of birds shy from it as well. The posture of the DSD is so realistic, and really just screams submissive, sneaky little jake. Ive watched birds alot and see that exact same pose with submissive birds. we just got back from Nebraska, and ended up doing well, I got my 10 year old his first bird., but next year we are going to be rocking the DSD!

15-Apr-16
X2 with an exclamation point for trkyslr.

DSD did the work to create the original jake. It is still the best in spite of several folks stealing their design and making them in China.

DSD all the way

15-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
X3 for the DSD jake. The quality and realism of the DSD jake is second to none. Also made in America and the service, should you ever need any, from DSD is top notch. I'd honestly rather leave my bow at home then my DSD jake.

Please also buy the American made DSD jake, not the Chinese nock off version.

For the Merriam's guys out there, check out these paint jobs on the DSD! If your interested call Dave Smith to order, they may have some left.

15-Apr-16
If you do much hiking you likely aren't going to like the bulk of the DSD's. Avians are pretty nice when it comes to packing and storing. If you take a look at the picture above, you can likely store 4 deflated Avians for 1 of the DSD's. I actually have a jake Dakota but it has the same problem as the DSD....is super big for hauling around. If you have lots of $ and don't plan on hiking far it's tough to beat DSD's. Hopefully one of these days DSD will come up with an inflatable that solves the problem...hint...hint!!!

15-Apr-16
Jims, a inflatable Dsd won't happen as that will greatly weaken the decoy and it won't have as long as a useable life. Inflatables fold and over time (not much from my experience and Intel gathered from others) the material breaks down and separates at the folds. Plus just looks bad IMO. Also I don't understand the bulky comments. I put one or two decoy bags with 2-4 deeks in each bag over my shoulder and go. I have never once said these things are bulky and if I did their value would be worth it. To me bulky is a giant blind or rear bone in elk quarter on my back. To each there own I guess.

15-Apr-16
I was asking myself the very same question a month ago. I bought the DSD because I liked the posture of it and also it's made here in the USA. I used it on our Missouri youth hunt last weekend. Had it on the edge of a field along with a hen decoy. Had a group of 3 gobblers and another single gobbler pop out of the woods to put a whoopin on the DSD jake. One of the gobblers got to ride home with us in the back of the pickup. Didn't post pictures here since my son shot it with a 12 gauge. Really like the DSD.

Will either the Avian or the DSD work in most situations - I'd say yes. But I figured I'd rather spend the extra $50 on the DSD and have confidence I've got the best decoy. Then if they hang up or don't come in I'm not left wondering if they would've come in if only I'd have bought the DSD.

--Mitch

15-Apr-16
Trkyslr, There are a lot of turkey hunters that prefer to remain mobile...having the ability to put decoys inside a large camo backpack with all gear for hiking into remote areas. I've never had a problem with my Avian not inflating or mis-shaping as you mentioned. They look as good as new and I've used and abused mine in several states for several years. I can barely fit my Dakota jake (same size as a DSD jake) inside the same pack I can easily fit 3 avians. You have to admit there is a definite advantage to that!!!!

As mentioned, if you don't have to pack far from a truck DSD's would be great but for those that haul decoys far and remain mobile while hunting there is a definite advantage hauling avians...and they hold up incredibly well! Avians are everything but "weak! I got a chuckle out of your statement! If DSD came out with a similar decoy to Avian I'm sure they wouldn't sit on the shelves! DSD don't need to rid themselves of the models they currently offer but what I'm saying is if DSD came out with a compact model for hauling around the hills they would sell like hot cakes! I'm not sure how many DSD's I've seen for sale because guys find out how large they are and what a drag they are hauling around the hills

15-Apr-16

trkyslr's embedded Photo
trkyslr's embedded Photo
Jims I understand what your saying and your opinion on all your points... On one of those notes we don't have any issues. This bird was about 2 miles in pack this morning.... Deeks packed in and out fine. Honestly my turkey vest with its contents weighs more then the deeks... Some would laugh at what's in my pack but it all has good purpose.

15-Apr-16
Obviously if you have someone hauling part of the deeks it's a lot easier! I think I see 1 deek in your bag plus the dead one over your shoulder? If you have a submissive hen it is nice not being as large as the others.

How about loading up 3 DSD decoys used in your sets and show what size bag you are hauling around? Just trying to make a point at how much room it takes to haul 3 DSD decoys around! If stalking turkeys in any brush the added bulk could be a challenge?

15-Apr-16
There's two in that bag and I've on plenty of occasions carried both bags with 2 each or 4 in one bag with no issues. Last years Jake bag can carry a jake, 2 hens, and one submissive nicely.

16-Apr-16
My preference is the DSD for all of the reasons mentioned above. Great product.

16-Apr-16

Strapped's embedded Photo
Strapped's embedded Photo
I bought the avian combo of a Jake and breeding hen from cabelas for less than a DSD. I guess the birds by me can't tell that I don't have dsd as I had 2 Tom's come into my my setup last night and one is riding home with me. I'm all for saving a few bucks. But to each is own.

16-Apr-16
I have a DSD jake and a bunch of older Carrylite, Cabelas, Buckwing & and unknown brand collapsible hens that I rarely use. I'm adding an Avian set for next year. The DSD is great but with the blind and enough chairs, water, weapons and snacks to keep two kids happy my pack is getting ridiculously huge.

My old Carrylite jake was responsible for a whole bunch of dead turkeys. It's been shot more than once when birds were getting pushy with it. I'll keep that one. The rest of the old hens will be donated off to kids. They work fine but the new decs look so nice that the old ones look sorta cheesy standing next to them.

16-Apr-16
DSD Jake. Hands down.

16-Apr-16
DSD FOR ME. Avian is much heavier and I have not found the DSD to be a problem to carry.

17-Apr-16

Skullwerx's MOBILE embedded Photo

I have not had an Avian but have had a Dakota, the Chinese knock off. I made a comment to my wife I wish I would have spent a little more and went with the DSD. Well she bought me one. Not only is it American Made but look at the overall quality and especially the paint of the 2 sitting side by side. The DSD is in the left.

17-Apr-16

Once again the DSD is on the left.

17-Apr-16

Dakota

17-Apr-16

DSD

17-Apr-16
Wow, the dakota does definitely seem like a cheap knockoff. And chinese made versus american made is a no brainer when it comes to spending a little extra. I will be ordering a DSD from Cabelas today. Thanks for all who gave info, regardless of which side you vouched for. It was/is all greatly appreciated, guys

17-Apr-16
Hey trkyslr where did you get a bag that can carry 4 decoys or even 2 for that matter. I have had the dsd since when they first came out and mine all came in separate bags that only hold one decoy although I can squeeze 2 hens into the jake bag. Also mine are all coming unravelled because I guess I use them too often and would like a new bag ! I like the look of your cammo type bag was it a s special order ?

17-Apr-16
They look pretty darn close to me. In regard to cost, you can pick up a Dakota for $49.99 at this website: http://bestturkeydecoy.com/shop/best-turkey-decoy-dakota-xtreme-jake/

The DSD jakes run $150. It's up to you whether it's worth the additional $100. I do my own taxidermy work with airbrush and paintbrush. It wouldn't take much to put even more detail on a Dakota than what comes on the DSD's! To each his own!

17-Apr-16
Never mind found them guess a trip to Cabelas is in order !

17-Apr-16
Jim, i speak for me only, i will pay and extra $100 for a deek when i know A) i dont have to grab a brush and finish the detail myself and B) that extra money is going to hard working americans. Especially for the fact that the dakota is an obvious copycat that they didnt really even try hard on. Again, just my point if view.

10 years ago when money was tighter, cheaper is cheaper regardless of quality. So i guess i dont blame someone for goin that way, but for me, the info above gives me a clear answer.

17-Apr-16
Used them both. Own all Avian X. With that said, I like the DSD better. I do not like the posture of the avian X jake. It is a little too upright. The DSD jake posture is much more realistic and submissive.

17-Apr-16
I think you are slitting hairs saying the DSD is much different in posture/color than a Dakota. They look similar next to each other! With that said, I can make a Dakota look BETTER than a DSD with a little time and an airbrush/paintbrush. It's up to you whether you think it's worth spending $100 more on just 1 decoy!

I really don't know why I'm arguing! I don't like hauling around my Dakota..and surely not 3 DSD's for my style of spot and stalk hunting!

17-Apr-16
Even back in the old foam days, I pretty much only carried a fake jake from Florida swamps to the Wyoming high country...and it worked.

But, if quality gives me a few more minutes of extra photo time, or that much more chance just to sit back and enjoy the show, OR gives me the few more seconds I need to make sure some kid is ready to shoot their first bird...I'll pay extra.

It's $50 more at purchase, but you'll use the decoy 10 years or more. I've bought a lot of $100 pop-up blinds...and I'd have been money ahead getting a good Double Bull.

I bought the Dakota because there were no DSDs left to be boughten. No comparison on quality, though the Dakota is far above any others I'd used....but I didn't know I was buying something made in China. :-(

It's impossible to argue with the success Chris and Joe have, or the years they've been doing it. For what it's worth, I've hunted with some of the best in the nation over the past 35 years, in a dozen states...and the philosophies I've come up with, from that, pretty much matches theirs.

But where you place it, as per hot or cold, young or old, probably makes more difference than brand on full-body decoys.

17-Apr-16
I guess a person probably could make a Dakota look as good as the DSD with some work, but to imply they would then be "equal" completely overlooks the materials used to construct the decoy. The obvious edge to anyone who has handled both, or even looked at their spec sheets in this regard goes to the DSD.

I will leave it to others to debate which, if either, is more effective, but I think it says quite a bit that all other decoys are judged against the DSD.

18-Apr-16
100% DSD

19-Apr-16
I'm thinking of pulling the trigger on the DSD jake.

Question - Is there a need to buy the hens too? I already have two hens that are cheaper but I've shot turkeys using them before. I'd rather not spend another $100 on a hen if I don't need to.

19-Apr-16
Vids, the Jake will be enough to increase the deek interaction. You can always get a hen later if you chose.

• Sitka Gear