JackPine Acres 28-Apr-16
dmann 28-Apr-16
CAVSCOUT 28-Apr-16
Tracker12 28-Apr-16
Frank Sanders 28-Apr-16
Treeline 29-Apr-16
Tracker12 29-Apr-16
27-Apr-16
March is a great time to be in West Texas chasing free-range Aoudad rams on 200,000 acres. Especially if you are from Wisconsin and you are ready for some warm weather.

Here are some pictures from my 4 day hunt last month. No need to throw the book at me, these are rifle kills. After 3 days in the desert chasing this skittish critters, I didn't think we would get with 300 yards of them.

However, the conditions on the 4th day fell into our lap and after spotting 4 rams crossing a flat, it took us 2 hours of hiking to find them again and another hour stalking to within 51 yards of the ledge they were resting on out of the sun. Belly crawling over the edge and spying down on these magnificent animals was something I will always remember.

Hope you enjoy the photos

27-Apr-16

JackPine Acres's embedded Photo
Guest house. The mountain in the distance is where we found the rams on the 4th morning. It was on the backside of the mountain in this photo.

27-Apr-16
Very cool....looking forward to it.

27-Apr-16

12 mile driveway and this was part of the scenery.

27-Apr-16
Bring it on!!!

Mark

27-Apr-16

Enjoyed the sun coming up each morning and the views.

27-Apr-16
What a tease....

27-Apr-16

Had the moon setting each morning. Never had to climb this mountain but we did spot the rams on the 4th morning in the flat to the left of this mtn.

27-Apr-16

It was hard to understand how things were green in this climate when they don't receive any moisture or very little.

27-Apr-16

Ram Mountain. We finally spotted the shooters on the 4th morning on this mountain. They were in the shadows on the left side in the "pink" rock ledge.

27-Apr-16

Belly crawled this edge and the rams were below us in the shadows. What a cool experience.

27-Apr-16

This ram measured 29 7/8.

27-Apr-16

The Big Boy. 32 1/2 inch ram and heavy all the way to his tips

27-Apr-16
awesome fun animals to chase, west Texas is fun congrats

27-Apr-16
Awesome. Looks like fun..and at a good time of year where you can't really find much to hunt. Congrats.

28-Apr-16
Who did you go with? This hunt's on my bucket list. Don't care one bit if you shot it with a rifle. Nice rams. Thanks for sharing.

28-Apr-16
Damn nice!

Congrats

Thanks for sharing

Good luck, Robb

28-Apr-16
Fantasic...great looking Rams...

28-Apr-16
congrats on some great Rams.

28-Apr-16
The outfitter is not a sponsor so I'm not sure if I will get in trouble for mentioning their name. I hunted with Wildlife Systems. I may never draw a bighorn tag and I can't afford to chase Stone or Dall sheep. This hunt is free range/fair chase on 200,000 acres and I enjoyed every minute of it. It's affordable and these critters will put you to the test on your stalk. Eye sight like an eagle and nose of a whitetail. You will see plenty of aoudads but finding a shooter ram takes time and then the stalk has to fall into place, just like any hunt. Had the wind swirled at the last minute, I'm guessing those rams would have disappeared up the mountain in a flash.

The scenery is fantastic and I saw all kinds of wildlife: scaled quail, jack rabbits, cottontails, antelope, mule deer, roadrunners, lizards, hawks javelina, etc..

28-Apr-16
Very nice, aoudad have always interested me.

28-Apr-16
I'm from S. Texas and laugh when I see guys hunting Aoudad with bows. Good job!

28-Apr-16

Tracker12's embedded Photo
Tracker12's embedded Photo
Very nice. I was able to take a nice Ram with my bow this past Dec. Hunted the Hill country near Uvalde. Can't wait to get my mount back. Saw one of these taken by a hunter on another site and went right to the top of my bucket list.

28-Apr-16
Uvalde is right near Chinati Peak, isn't it?

29-Apr-16
Uvalde is between San Antonio and Del Rio - just below the edge of the Edward's Plateau. North of there is pretty rough country. Lots of variety of game all over that part of the state with all that has been brought in over the years.

Far West Texas is very different. Big country and big ranches. Getting an aoudad out there with a bow would be a real challenge...

29-Apr-16
I hunted "Bow Ranch" . They have a very nice free range hunt with great accommodations. They only take 6 hunters a year and success is pretty good. My buddy was able to take his aoudad with a longbow. The first time for this ranch to have a traditional kill.

• Sitka Gear