MDW 01-May-16
stick n string 01-May-16
Zbone 02-May-16
Brotsky 02-May-16
Zbone 03-May-16
29-Apr-16

bud's MOBILE embedded Photo
bud's MOBILE embedded Photo

Wife took this picture this morning before work. Never saw these white turkeys before today. Have a lot of turkey come thru. Probably hard to see with the snow we had in the Bighorns this week.

29-Apr-16
A few years ago a flock of turkeys showed up at my FIL's farm in ND. It had some white birds in it. Interesting.

29-Apr-16
That's neat seeing them white turkeys the are wild I assume nice.

30-Apr-16
Yes, they are wild Merriams. Wish I had been home to see them.

30-Apr-16
They're just wearing winter camo.

30-Apr-16

snapcrackpop's Link
Looks like the domestic Royal Palm turkey Instead of a wild white or smokey-grey turkey.

30-Apr-16
The domestic birds in the pictures posted in your link had lots of black in the breast, the ones above don't seem to have much?

30-Apr-16
Double fat fingered post !

30-Apr-16

bud's embedded Photo
bud's embedded Photo
MAYBE THEY ARE ESCAPEES FROM A TURKEY RANCH THAT JOINED UP WITH ROUGE MERRIAMS. LOL. I REALLY DONT KNOW. KIND OF SHOCKED MY WIFE TO LOOK OUT THE WINDOW AND SEE THEM. ALL THE TURKEYS WEVE SEEN UP HERE LOOK LIKE THESE. WIFE AND DAUGHTER.

30-Apr-16

bud's embedded Photo
bud's embedded Photo

01-May-16
From what I've been told, the white gene is naturally occurring in wild turkeys and just pops out sometimes. Reason for not seeing it very often, is that it makes them easier targets for predators.

Some years back, I hunted a flock that had two birds with white wings. Think they didn't stand out! Never could get one of them though.

01-May-16
Agree with them looking like a royal palm. Not sure if u have anyone close that has some turkeys that may have had them? Killed a smoke phase jake in 2010, was white looking, but had a tinge of grey tone to it. But who knows. Beautiful birds for sure. I live in eastern turkey country but have always been so jealous of you fellas in the west and ur merriams. Hoping someday i will get a chance to cone west....

02-May-16
Neat looking birds, thanks for sharing... They look wild to me with those skinny legs... Domestic birds have much thicker legs and feet and without DNA testing, a poor mans way to determine wild or domestic...8^)

02-May-16
They almost look like giant Ptarmigan. Maybe they're Pturkeys? Very cool picture!

03-May-16
Think about it, all domestic turkeys originally came from wild birds eons ago through selective breeding... So those pure white colored domestic turkey farm Butterball's genes had to originally come from the wild...

Color phases in some wildlife may be rare in some species, whereas not so uncommon as in other species... Grey squirrels, red foxes, and Gyrfalcons come quickly to mind as those not so uncommon to be colored anywhere from pure white to jet black and all shades in between...

• Sitka Gear