ELKMAN 12-May-16
azarchery 13-May-16
Bushwacker 13-May-16
drycreek 13-May-16
AZ~Rich 14-May-16
ELKMAN 14-May-16
07-May-16

Doubleforky's Link
FOUNTAIN HILLS, AZ (KPHO/KTVK) - A Fountain Hills woman was attacked by javelina as she walked her dogs Saturday night. According to the victim, the herd of javelina came out of a nearby wash, crossed the road, and attacked her and her two leashed dogs unprovoked.

08-May-16
Wow. She actually got hurt pretty badly. Be interesting to see if there will be any civil action on here part against the idiots feeding them?

08-May-16
Presence of dogs is well known to trigger javelina aggressive behavior especially if young are nearby. Usually they attack the dogs being walked, not the humans though.

08-May-16
Had one chase my dog a few weeks ago a jack blood trailer . He is usually good but he came untrained and went after the pigs the boar wasn't having any of that that dog was running with all he had and the pig was gaining coming right for me teeth snapping hair bristled I felt like Hugh Glass. they ran right by me and I slapped the pig on the ass with my arrow startled him and he ran off. lesson learned

09-May-16
Nasty, flea infested creatures. We call them a lot of vile names, but the #1 name for them is 'dog killers'

10-May-16
Sounds like somebody-^- is only familiar with the TX version of the wonderful little southwest enigma that is the "Javelina"...

10-May-16

ELKMAN's embedded Photo
ELKMAN's embedded Photo

10-May-16

The only bad part about the hunting regs on them in South Texas is that the limit is set at ONLY two per person, per year.

10-May-16
Stink-a-linas! I grabbed one by the back legs once, figured out in a hurry they are not like a Hog!! LOL

11-May-16
I'm with you ELKMAN - I don't understand why so many people call them vermin and other derogatory things. I think they are pretty cool critters, fun to watch and hunt. We have them here in NM, but it's not like they are overrunning the state or causing any problems or anything.

Great photo ELKMAN!

Carl

11-May-16

Bushwacker's embedded Photo
Spend as much time around them as we do, and they aren't so cool and fun to watch. They'll come into peoples yards to eat the dog or cat food off the porch and if a dog challenges them, it's either death or trip to the vet for the dog. We run Kemmer Stock Mt Curs down here on the hogs and I'd rather my dogs face off with a 200lb boar hog over a 40lb javelina any day. And we pray they don't get after a group of javelina, that's a sure bet on dogs getting killed or seriously injured. I've heard of some guys that call in javelinas to shoot by using recordings of dogs barking.

Yes, we do call them vile names and for good reason. They have little to no fear of humans, most of the ones I've shot have been within 30 feet. You just walk up to them while they stare at you. They are the only animal in south Texas that when I approach them while we are running the dogs, I worry about running out of bullets before they get to me. Big hogs, no worries, I run in and catch them by the back leg and my daughter comes in and sticks em with a knife. Javelina, my thoughts are of my Ruger Vaquero loaded with just six bullets while everyone else stays on their four wheeler.

A hog uses his lower 'cutters' to slash at his opponents. His intentions are primarily defensive and the wounds, when he makes contact can be as minor as a single skin cut, a single poke, or a long slashing wound. And since they are slashing with that cutter, only the left or right side makes contact. They can't use both sides at once. And while a big sow can have sharp little cutters, it's only the big boars that will have cutters that grow to several inches, and even then, often one or both sides are broken off from fighting.

Javelina have four fangs, two top, two on the bottom. Doesn't matter if male or female, both are well equipped for battle. They don't slash, they bite. Leaving 4 deep puncture wounds. Think of a Dracula with four legs and lots of fleas. They will chase a dog down. I've seen my pitbulls run into a bay in thick brush and come running out as fast as a pitbull can run with a javelina hot on their tail.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE it when hunters come down to hunt them. In fact, I encourage everyone, gun or bow, to come down to Texas and shoot your limit. PLEASE!!!

Whenever the ranch asks me to help guide deer hunters in December I always highly encourage my hunter to take his two man limit, stressing the 'highly' encourage part.

This is a set of fangs from one my daughter shot through the eyes this past December.

11-May-16

This is one side of a 200lb boar we caught a couple of weeks ago, I believe the cutter on the other side was broken off, which is very typical. I legged it, while Emily stuck it. Had it a been a 40lb javelina, I would have had her stay on the four wheeler.

11-May-16

And no dogs were cut or injured by that hog, even with that long cutter. I promise you, had it been a 40lb javelina, dogs would have been wrecked. Same hog, one fearless 15 year old girl with a big knife.

11-May-16
That's crazy, you're crazy! Pretty damn cool though. What's up with the 40 pounders??

11-May-16
Javelinas average between 25 and 40 lbs. They can get a little bigger, but those 40 pounders are hell on four feet.

12-May-16
Interesting. The Javelinas I shot with my recurve weren't much of a challenge. They were easy to sneak up on and died quick with a sharp broad head in the lungs. Almost seemed too easy.

12-May-16

DL's Link
What call is this guy using?

12-May-16
BDSD, that's exactly right. I've had them come out in the sendero to eat the corn, I'll get out of the blind, and chase them off, and they'll be back out eating before I can get back in the blind. I've had them feed towards me on the road, I'll just sit down in the middle of the road, and when they get to about 10 feet, I shoot. This past fall, I was anxious to shoot a deer with my new BowTech RPM 360. I hurried out to my bow blind, pulled up in my 1995 Ford F350 PowerStroke diesel, and there was a javelina at the feeder. I stopped the truck 15 yards from it, motor still running, and figured it would run off, so I began to unload my gear. When it continued to mull around, I figured a javelina would be just as good for my first kill with the new bow. I had to get my bow out of the case, mind you my diesel is still running, nocked an arrow, and put my release on. When I stepped around the front of the truck it then walked about another 5 yards into the brush, stopped and turned broadside to look at me. That was the last view he had as the arrow passed through him. They're not very brite, not afraid of humans, and aren't dangerous until provoked. Having a dog around will provoke them and they will come to a dog more often than run from it.

For someone wanting to do a spot and stalk hunt with a bow, you can't beat a javelina hunt. Corn a road and walk towards them slowly, not sneaky stealth mode, just slowly. They'll see you and continue to feed. Keep the wind in your face and you can get within 20 yards no problem. They can be staring you down and you can still draw to shoot. If they get a little spooked for some reason and walk into the brush, just stop and wait, they'll come right back out. They get run over on the ranches down here all the time because the ranch hands are out driving checking on cows and the javelina are too stupid to get out of the road. And it's not like the ranch hands are speeding on the bumpy dirt two track roads, the javelina just don't get out of the road.

12-May-16
BSBD: Where did you "hunt" them?

13-May-16
I don't get it, your mad because a wild animal, being opportunistic eats food left out for pets, and learns that's a easy meal, or their more aggressive then your hunting dogs. That's why their called wild animals. I guess they didn't get the memo that says their suppose to run from dogs.

13-May-16
Oh, I'm not mad at them, they're just a pest we get tired of dealing with. I rather enjoy killing them. :)

13-May-16
My oldest son was bowhunting a ranch near Uvalde several years ago and the javelina were off limits unless you paid extra and he was deer hunting so didn't want to kill the javis. He got the bright idea to shoot one with a bb pistol in order to run him off from the area he was hunting. The little boar put him in the back of his pickup, so he emptied the bb pistol on the javi. Out of bbs, he had to sit in the back of his truck until the little feller got bored and left. We gave him hell about that ! :)

14-May-16
That's what you get when you habitually feed them (TX methods). Here in AZ they are not so tame and actually can present a challenge in rough mountain terrain. Of course we get those habituated to neighborhood folks feeding them and garbage can raiding. There's a group that's pulled over our very large heavy trash receptical numerous times. Have to keep it inside a gate now. I'm going to say one of these no hunted boars weighs about 65lbs! Occasionally they do grow big like as in 60-70+ lbs here in AZ. I recall many years ago reports of an 80l pounder in the Phx area. I'd hate to see that attacking something.

PS. Never once seen any fleas on AZ Javys.

14-May-16
AZ-Rich: EXACTLY RIGHT---^ __ Guys that have only seen what Texas has created in Javelina will never know just how cool and unique they truly are, and yes they actually can be HUGE challenge to find in a truly "wild" setting. Other wise known as a "hunt"...

• Sitka Gear