Bou'bound 08-May-16
Bowboy 08-May-16
kota-man 08-May-16
Big-Otis-Jeff 09-May-16
Mad Trapper 10-May-16
08-May-16

Medicinemann's embedded Photo
Since there is no icon for bison, I used the moose icon, as they are closest animal in size....and they STILL aren't real close. I shot a Wood Bison in 2005 with Andrew Lake Lodge in Northernmost Alberta.

The hunt was a blast....even got to tag a 19" black bear headed to my bull's gut pile the next day.

For anyone interested, I started this thread because I just got a letter from SCI. They state that "After careful consideration, the Record Book Committee has approved to officially recognize the free-range Wood Bison in the SCI Record Book of Big Game Animals."

Just an FYI.....

08-May-16
Long over due

08-May-16

Killed this bear headed towards to bison's gut pile the next morning....

08-May-16
That's a great bear and Bison. Hope to hunt Bison one day. Maybe this year. Hunt

08-May-16
They have a rather high meat yield compared to most other animals....but Wood Bison from the Wood Bison National Park in Alberta are prone to tuberculosis. My bison meat was confiscated (but not until after I had it completely butchered and packaged....ugh).

08-May-16
Confiscated? By who? Was the meat tested and then confiscated after a positive result?

As of this March, a large area neighbouring Wood Buffalo National Park is now closed to non-treaty hunting of Bison. Further bison hunting restrictions are likely with the development of new land use plans.

08-May-16
My guide and outfitter told me that my bull had tested positive. They gave me some meat that they had in their freezers......but mine was taken.

My outfitter was Dan Wettlaufer, and my guide was a native named Earl (last name might have been Jones, but not certain).

They never told me what they did with the meat....but I trusted them. Had caribou fetus for dinner one evening....had the consistency of veal. Never tasted meat that tender ....

08-May-16
Was that central barren ground or mountain caribou fetus. I have heard the mountain is the more tender of the two.

08-May-16
Nice buffalo and black bear. To bad you didn't get to keep the meat.

08-May-16
Cool stuff Jake...

09-May-16
I hunted with them in 1999 on a bear hunt. There were buffalo everywhere on that trip...wish i had a tag for them...

I did kill a Booner bear though,.....Dan had a great operation going up there.

10-May-16
The Hunt Report just had a report on a wood bison hunt in the Yukon. The report indicated that the wood bison was now recognized by all of the major record keeping organizations. I wonder if that includes P&Y?

• Sitka Gear